SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2005, 19:15   #1
repete34
In God I trust

Advise needed for 1st digital

What is a good digital which will also record brief movies and uses a card? Cost is more important than size.

Thanks
Spitfire / Surefire / Benchmade / Lionheart / Taser / Safariland / Anderson MFG/ Gunvault / Zero Hour Outfitters / Promag / Vltor / NRA Training Classes / Arizona / Oklahoma CCW Classes AND MUCH MORE!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
repete34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 22:18   #2
hwyhobo

Almost all of them. What kind of photography do you intend to do? What is your budget? I recommend you start reading through camera reviews here. It will take you a few days, but it will be time well-spent (as is all education).
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 00:21   #3
repete34
In God I trust

Pics of kids and events for website etc. Budget around 2-300

Thanks
Spitfire / Surefire / Benchmade / Lionheart / Taser / Safariland / Anderson MFG/ Gunvault / Zero Hour Outfitters / Promag / Vltor / NRA Training Classes / Arizona / Oklahoma CCW Classes AND MUCH MORE!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:25   #4
hwyhobo

You still have plenty of choices and will probably have to limit them further by deciding how much control you want over the process and what features you want in the camera. Do you want manual control? Do you want optical viewfinder or can you live with an LCD monitor as the only way to frame and preview the scene?
Old 09-03-2005, 01:55   #5
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

Stay away from FujiFilm. They look good in specs for the money, but performance is sucky.

You are just exactly the kind of customer they target.

I was, too, a year or so ago.

Conservatives have faith in individuals; liberals put their faith in the government.
NRA_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:44   #6
glocka

;f Hi repete34...I'm looking to upgrade from my old Sony digital=floppy disk...I've been looking into the Canon line.Canon PowerShot 5.0-Megapixel digital camara looks good to me.Best Buy has them for $499.99,but a better price can be found,if you shop around.
It offers:5.0-megapixel ccd captures high-resolution images up to 2592x1944 pixels...
12xoptical/4xdigita/48 total zoom with optical image stabilizer(IS)technology,UD glass and aspherical lens for excellent sharpness and color...
1.8" color TFT-LCD monitor with Vari-Angle adjustment and night display function; optical viewfinder
Super macro
4 AA batteries...Plus many more things that you should check for yourself...
What got me leaning toward Canon instead of Sony was a friends wedding pictures from Mexico=Beautiful and that was with Canons cheaper model...1.0GB memory card was holding more than 200 beeg file pictures.And when I blew them up to 11x7s,there was no distortion,just one beeg beautiful print...~1 with your choice...I just wanted a camara to take pics of the beeg fish I catch...^3
glocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 13:09   #7
hwyhobo

Quote:
Originally posted by NRA_guy
Stay away from FujiFilm. They look good in specs for the money, but performance is sucky. You are just exactly the kind of customer they target. I was, too, a year or so ago.
Which model did you have? You know, their Fuji F10 is enjoying a rather good reputation, as long as you are aware of certain limitations (all cameras have some). For one, F10 uses a new 6 MP that is the first Fuji not interpolated sensor. You probably had one with interpolation. The new processor has better noise at high ISOs than comparable 1/1.8 sensors.

I say as long as you are educated in your choices, today you can find many cameras that will do what you need. You need to read a lot and not jump at the first suggestion you hear, and certainly not take seriously an advice from an "expert" at BestBuy or CircuitCity.
Old 09-03-2005, 14:02   #8
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally posted by hwyhobo
Which model did you have? You know, their Fuji F10 is enjoying a rather good reputation, as long as you are aware of certain limitations (all cameras have some). For one, F10 uses a new 6 MP that is the first Fuji not interpolated sensor. You probably had one with interpolation. The new processor has better noise at high ISOs than comparable 1/1.8 sensors.

I say as long as you are educated in your choices, today you can find many cameras that will do what you need. You need to read a lot and not jump at the first suggestion you hear, and certainly not take seriously an advice from an "expert" at BestBuy or CircuitCity.
Mine is the FujiFilm 3800. Two friends also bought the same model. We all regret the decision. Strangely, one friend traded up to the next model (not sure---4800 I think---it's the all black model) and he finds it not much better.

The equivalent ISO speed of 100 is s-l-o-w. You will get lots of blurred images.

The exposure and focus delay is s-l-o-w, even for a digital camera. You will get lots of photos of closed eyes and turned heads.

It has no manual overide of autofocus which drives me crazy sometimes, like when I was shooting the lunar eclipse.

The xD storage costs more and does not go as large as other media.

The built-in flash really sucks; so I bought a Metz with slave trigger. Not much better.

Exposures are really, really really inconsistent. I can shoot 4 frames from a tripod and get vastly different exposures.

Cannot trust the flash "ready" light at all.

It has no low battery indicator.

I do like the AA batteries and the physical size and construction.

Conservatives have faith in individuals; liberals put their faith in the government.
NRA_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 14:48   #9
hwyhobo

Alas, you bought a camera that was not fully tested on dpreview.com. I would not do that. I do not trust marketing hype or salesmen advice. I want to see numbers, and dpreview.com is the only website that provides truly in-depth reviews.

Anyway, your friend probably bought a 5000 (an upgrade to 3800). If you look at the website I just mentioned, it shows PowerOn to Record time as 4.1s. That is slooow. No argument from me here. Your camera was probably even worse.

Now, for comparison if you look at the new Fuji F10, the same PowerOn to Record time is 1s. That is a huge difference. You can also check the rest of the ratings.

Don't understand me wrong, I am not trying to sell anyone on Fuji. Personally, I would not buy it myself because it doesn't have an optical viewfinder - the only way you can frame and preview the shot is on the LCD. To me, that makes it a fancy paperweight. To others that may be of no importance. However, you must know what you're getting. That is my whole point.
Old 09-03-2005, 15:30   #10
repete34
In God I trust

Cannon Power shot 520 opinions please. And $187.00 ain't to bad either!

Old 09-03-2005, 21:34   #11
hwyhobo

Well, it's 4 MP (quite limited by today's standards), has an unimpressive movie mode (recording only at 15 fps - no 30 fps option), has high noise at 400 ISO, has a fairly dark lens on the long end, and it has been discontinued (hence the low price you found somewhere). Other than that, it should be fine.

Have you read its review at dpreview? There is another one here.
Old 09-03-2005, 22:13   #12
repete34
In God I trust

I read the review. That is where I found it. This will be my 1st digital camera. I don't really take alot of pics. It will mostly be for pics for the website, and movie clips from training exercises. Nothing fancy going on here. Price is important and like most people getting the most for my money is important. I am leaning towards this as my 1st digital and would know more of what I need with my next.

I came here for advise because I know less than a little in this area. So it seems that in your opinion it isn't bad and only cheap because a newer and better one is out and they are getting rid of old stock. The comparisson copared it to rather expensive newer models. It seems in my limited view that it wouldn't be a bad camera, just not very up to date. Is that correct?

Old 09-03-2005, 22:33   #13
hwyhobo

Quote:
Originally posted by repete34
It will mostly be for pics for the website, and movie clips from training exercises. Nothing fancy going on here. Price is important and like most people getting the most for my money is important. I am leaning towards this as my 1st digital and would know more of what I need with my next. It seems in my limited view that it wouldn't be a bad camera, just not very up to date. Is that correct?
All Canon "A" series cameras were quite good. You sure cannot beat the price if you are getting "new-in-box" condition.

Say, they weren't by any chance getting rid of A95, were they? They've just been updated with A610 and A620 (I know, Canon does bizarre jumps with their numbering). If you can get A95 for ca. $50 more, I would probably go for it just to get a little better sensor, brighter lens and a superb, fold-out LCD (trust me, it's not just a gadget - I love that LCD, but you can live without it).

Either way, provided decent light, you will get great shots. Enjoy digital photography!

Last edited by hwyhobo; 09-06-2005 at 00:58..