SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-07-2005, 23:07   #1
loboblanca

videotapes of TKD forms?

Hi everyone.

Back in the day I was seriously into Tae Kwon-Do. Had the greatest instructor. He made us work out really hard, as we spent a lot of time with PT and stretching before getting into line drills and forms, then a break with the second hour dedicated to more technique or sparring. He held us back from belts purposely, so that wherever we went to compete we could hold our own. He was a serious stickler for accurate technique, and that stuck with me.

Long story short, I got lazy after I moved away, since I couldn't find a place to work out that wasn't a belt factory. Laziness eventually stopped me from practicing on my own. Moved back home and, unfortunately, my old instructor has (good idea) affiliated with an international group that has required structures, yet IMHO my old instructor fell prey to the financial realities of dojangs and I saw his upper belts exhibiting poor technique that we would have never gotten away with in the old days. Classes are now focused on kids (which is cool).

Not to let that deter me, I miss working out and want to resume my discipline. I have a heavy bag to work out with, and I know I could find sparring partners easily, but right now I want to get my technique back up to par before I begin sparring. Once I get back in shape I will put on a white belt and go back to my old instructor and start all over again, I hear his upper belt classes are kind of like the old days.

Question: are there any good videotapes available that I can use to help me remember the forms? I learned "traditional" Taw Kwon-Do (the Chon Ji stuff prior to the PoliGai forms).

Any guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-13-2005, 19:34   #2
habu3

TKD Tapes

There are lots of tapes and DVDs available. You can either look in a martial arts magazine like BlackBelt or you can do a web search for TKD videos. I have a set of the ITF style TKD Hyungs (Chon Gi, Tan Gun, etc.) which I like. They feature John Chung and are put out by Panther Productions. I can't remember what they cost.

We all get a bit lazy at times. The toughest thing to do is make the first effort to start again. Once you are past that it will become easier.

Good Luck.
habu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 18:30   #3
FortyCaliber
10millimember

Try turtlepress.com
Pennsylvania Glockers #45
NRA Life / LEAA Life / GSSF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FortyCaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 21:15   #4
loboblanca

Thanks habu and forty. I'm looking as we speak. Dang, this stuff hurts more than it used to, haha. How come I'm so outa breath???? haha.

Al
Old 09-16-2005, 12:17   #5
FortyCaliber
10millimember

If it doesn't hurt you're probably doing it wrong! ;f
Pennsylvania Glockers #45
NRA Life / LEAA Life / GSSF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FortyCaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 22:23   #6
bunkerbuster

Re: videotapes of TKD forms?

Quote:
Originally posted by loboblanca
Hi everyone.

Back in the day I was seriously into Tae Kwon-Do. Had the greatest instructor. He made us work out really hard, as we spent a lot of time with PT and stretching before getting into line drills and forms, then a break with the second hour dedicated to more technique or sparring. He held us back from belts purposely, so that wherever we went to compete we could hold our own. He was a serious stickler for accurate technique, and that stuck with me.

Long story short, I got lazy after I moved away, since I couldn't find a place to work out that wasn't a belt factory. Laziness eventually stopped me from practicing on my own. Moved back home and, unfortunately, my old instructor has (good idea) affiliated with an international group that has required structures, yet IMHO my old instructor fell prey to the financial realities of dojangs and I saw his upper belts exhibiting poor technique that we would have never gotten away with in the old days. Classes are now focused on kids (which is cool).

Not to let that deter me, I miss working out and want to resume my discipline. I have a heavy bag to work out with, and I know I could find sparring partners easily, but right now I want to get my technique back up to par before I begin sparring. Once I get back in shape I will put on a white belt and go back to my old instructor and start all over again, I hear his upper belt classes are kind of like the old days.

Question: are there any good videotapes available that I can use to help me remember the forms? I learned "traditional" Taw Kwon-Do (the Chon Ji stuff prior to the PoliGai forms).

Any guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

What my friend did was, he went to university Taekwondo team/club and asked them for sparring. I think he had fun + good work out there.

I think it is great way to get rusty taekwondo skills back into shape.

bunkerbuster is offline   Reply With Quote