SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2006, 19:32   #81
americandude

Awsome Thread!!!
I've been looking for this exact info.

I was told by a police officer once, that him and his fellow officers always load their mags to 1 less than full (12 in a 13 round mag etc.). They do this because it lowers the potential problem of a mag spring breaking. Is it common for police officers to do this? Is it common for springs to break?

Thank's again, to you all, for the valuable info.
americandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 20:25   #82
Illuminaughty

Quote:
Originally posted by americandude
Awsome Thread!!!
I've been looking for this exact info.

I was told by a police officer once, that him and his fellow officers always load their mags to 1 less than full (12 in a 13 round mag etc.). They do this because it lowers the potential problem of a mag spring breaking. Is it common for police officers to do this? Is it common for springs to break?

Thank's again, to you all, for the valuable info.
I think that's just personal ritual kind of thing.

Never heard such a thing being implemented officially/professionally.
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 21:19   #83
americandude

Quote:
Originally posted by Illuminaughty
I think that's just personal ritual kind of thing.

Never heard such a thing being implemented officially/professionally.
OK.

Thank you.
Old 04-12-2006, 21:30   #84
Illuminaughty

Quote:
Originally posted by americandude
OK.

Thank you.
I've heard about an older generation of mags wearing out with he +2 extensions however. But this wasn't a consistent problem either, just with some people. If you're not modding your mags with the +2 extension and/or they're not used mags, you have nothing to worry about in my opinion.
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 23:38   #85
americandude

Quote:
Originally posted by Illuminaughty
I've heard about an older generation of mags wearing out with he +2 extensions however. But this wasn't a consistent problem either, just with some people. If you're not modding your mags with the +2 extension and/or they're not used mags, you have nothing to worry about in my opinion.
Good.
Old 11-07-2006, 13:25   #86
LoneWolfUSMC

My G21 Duty mags stay loaded 24/7

I used to use them for competition too, so they would get unloaded and reloaded with ball ammo for the match, then reloaded with Hydrashock at the end.

Now I have a extra set of mags, so the only time the duty mags get unloaded is during qualification (use the old duty ammo to qual with).

I have never had a problem with them and they get the crap beaten out of them on my belt.

My AR15 mags stay loaded constantly as well, but department policy is to download by two. So I keep 28 in my 30 rounders 24/7.
LoneWolfUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 14:29   #87
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

If leaving mags loaded was a real problem, all of us would be constantly buying new mags to replace the "worn out" mags. That is not the case.

Old 01-13-2007, 16:26   #88
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

years ago....

Years ago my military trained brother advised/taught me to "cycle the ammo" in my clips and always leave it one round short if I ever used an M-15 or M-16. (This was for early models' (ca.60's) jamming heart-aches that were caused and or associated with the exact tolerances of these two weapons.) He said by simply "cycling my ammo" (rearranging) the ammo in the clip, i "NEVER" had to worry about a magazine spring not functioning in other type of weapons.

I do it to this day and I dont have problems.

By the way, I have used the ORIGNAL Glock magazine that came with my first G-22, which I received in 1999, although not on purpose I have "beat up" this G-22 as a side arm for almost 8 years. Although I now carry a newer Glock for self-defense, I use my "old" G-22 as a sidearm for hunting and practice at the range. IT STILL USES THE ORIGINAL MAGAZINE WITH NO PROBLEMS. All I have ever done is "cycled my ammo." (Brother Skip, if you read this, thanks for that info!)
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 16:31   #89
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

It bothers me...

Sir,

It bothers me that you have your personal protection weapon being set "on stun."

"Lock and load!"
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 17:57   #90
windpipe

glock springs can be kept loaded year after year. They are manufactured to handle this. My 1911 magazines suggest I replace the spring after one year of being continuously loaded.
windpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 19:09   #91
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally posted by windpipe
My 1911 magazines suggest I replace the spring after one year of being continuously loaded.
Your Mags "told" you this?????

J/K, could'nt resist.........

Old 05-16-2007, 20:25   #92
windpipe

ya. doc says i'm ok just as long as the gun doesnt start telling me things.
windpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 23:05   #93
trover
CLM Number 203
Charter Lifetime Member

This is really good info and contradicts much of what I've previously been told rather convincingly. Thanks very much.
trover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:31   #94
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Old 06-19-2007, 14:07   #95
Scouse

The best follower ever made by Glock, for the 9mm, #6 the end of the spring fits inside of it, push the nose of the follower down, no tip what so ever, it just moves down wards, smooth as you like.

While you order those, might as well get new springs also, not that expensive. I am.
Old 06-19-2007, 16:05   #96
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
The best follower ever made by Glock, for the 9mm, #6 the end of the spring fits inside of it, push the nose of the follower down, no tip what so ever, it just moves down wards, smooth as you like.

While you order those, might as well get new springs also, not that expensive. I am.

The #6 followers work the best. I put them in all of my G22 mags. Glock quit making the #6's. All new mags come with #8's.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:44   #97
zukworld

Mags left loaded 10yrs!

I think I have the record for this thread.

After moving to California, I went 10 years without shooting. The whole time my G17 original series #BAxxx was in the factory box, with both (17rd) mags fully loaded with Winchester Hydro-shock.

Took it to the range, fired all 34 w/out mishap. (then reloaded and shot the rest of the box.) BUT the slide failed to lock open on the empty mags.

So I had all the springs replaced, bought 2 more 17rd mags, and have been very happy since. Now I usually load only 16 as the last round is very difficult to load with my stock clip loader. For me, it's not worth the effort to get the last one in.

I also took the opportunity to have an extended slide release installed, as I find it very hard to reach with my short thumbs.

Love shooting my G17, wish I'd bought the G19 at the same time.

z
"Civilizations fall because people ***** and complain when the electricity is off for fifteen minutes, and never give a thought to the fact that it has been on for their entire lives. " --Bill Whittle
zukworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:40   #98
15AcreWoods

Leaving magazines loaded

I have been told not to keep magazines loaded by experts. I have not had extensive experience with centerfire automatics being a wheel gunner, but I do have a Ruger Mark I I have had since the 60s. I have two magazines for it and have kept them loaded for for 40 years + and have had no problems with failure to load. This may be comparing apples to oranges but they are both fruit so there may be some connection.
15AcreWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 20:39   #99
glockman2005

Glock answer

I called Glock last year about this magazine question. I was told by a G tech that you should unload a Glock mag every 6 mos. & let it sit for 6 mos. good enough for me.
Old 09-12-2007, 16:53   #100
paper warrior

I keep the two factory 17Rd. and a Scherer 33Rd. full all of the time. No problems.

"Mechanical safeties are just idiot-proofing; and do idiots really need high powered weapons?" - mkultra2300
paper warrior is offline   Reply With Quote