I recieved this from one of my fellow SAR team members today. I hope it is not old news.
Subject: Greenie Warning
Sent: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 3:04:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time
6/9/05: My little dog, Nickey, a 6 month old Maltese,
has survived two surgeries this week and is now stable
and recovering at the Vet hospital. After exploration,
they found part of a "greenie" bone stuck in his
The vets I spoke to this week are furious about this
product. The product DOES NOT DISSOLVE if swallowed in
chunks that cannot pass through their system. They
have done numerous surgeries to remove them,
Especially from the intestines. This is the first that
the Dallas surgeons have seen in the esophagus.
I wanted to share this with you and ask you to pass
along this warning to any pet owner that you know and
to keep it passing on. BAN THE GREENIES!! I know my
little one will never see another greenie again.
After almost $5000 in vet bills since last Friday,R>this has been a very
expensive lesson to learn. The
worst part of course is that my little Nickey (only 6
months old) has suffered tremendously and will most
likely develop other esophagus problems because of
He is not 'out-of-the-woods' yet so I ask that you say
a prayer for him. This has been an extremely emotional
week for him and for his Mommy.
I'm hoping to get this word out -- not to damage any
one in particular -- but to prevent other pets and
families from having to go thru this trauma. Deronda
Greenie Bone Warning -- Update on Nickey
6/10/05: Update on Nickey... he passed away about 1:30
this morning. Many of you have asked more information
and have said you would contact your vet -- please do
-- Please do not let Nickey's death be for nothing.
Word needs to get out that this 'greenie' product is
not safe!! It may be good for the teeth & gums but it
can be fatal as we all know now. Someone stated something about the
warnings -- I did not see that --
I bought individual ones from a jar at the pet store.
I also let him have them under supervision but when
they are very slippery and it slips down their throat,
I don't know what else I could have done. I like the
thought of holding onto them but how could I have
As you might imagine, I am going through a tremendous
amount of guilt about ever giving these to my dog. He
has only had 2 whole ones. I wish I could take back
If your vet would like more information, my vet is a
specialist at the Animal Diagnostic Clinic Hospital
(Brad Hines, DMV Diplomat) here in Dallas. The address
is 4444 Trinity Mills Ste 202, Dallas, TX 75287. The
phone number is 972-267-8300.
He has removed several 'greenie' parts from dogs but
from the intestines; this is the first he has seen in
the esophagus -- which could become common for very
small dogs. This is also the first death he has
encunered as a result. I think large dogs are at
risk also because they make very large sizes for them.
They get very slippery while they are chewing on them
and any movement can make them lose control and
swallow it. According to the vets, they DO NOT
dissolve in the body.
I will be contacting the Greenie company to tell them
of what happened. My surgeon and vets are writing
papers to submit to the Vet associations.
Web Site: http://www.topknotshihtzu.com/