Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:37   #21
Timmah!
Senior Jackass

Send a message via AIM to Timmah! Send a message via Yahoo to Timmah!
Thanks for all the positive feedback, folks!
Like I said in my opening post, it seems that what is considered "training" throughout the shooting community varies substantially.
If this info helps a new shooter make the right holster choice, or remember to perform a FPS check, etc. etc...then I'm a happy guy.

Tim
Old 01-02-2006, 22:33   #22
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Quote:
Originally posted by Skylark
What is the proper pronunciation of Glock?
G-Lock? or rhymes with Clock?
[SIDEBAR]
G-LOC, pronounced /gee lahk/, is an aviation term, an acronym for G-Induced Loss of Conciousness. It's when you pull hard enough to black yourself (or your crew) out. If the pilot goes out, it's often a deadly mistake, as regaining one's senses can take 30 or more seconds after the blackout ends, plenty of time to C-FIT /see fit/, Controlled Flight Into Terrain.
[/SIDEBAR]

Nice thread.

Last edited by F14Scott; 09-30-2008 at 20:37..
F14Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 19:36   #23
madness

That is a pretty good set of "rules of the road" in the first post. Even when you feel you already know the basics, seeing them again helps keep you aware of them.

I can see why someone might wonder about the pronuciation of "Glock," especially if that individual is fairly new to the handgun world.

The confusion probably comes from the company logo, such as seen on the side of the boxes the guns come in when you buy them. A really large "G," surrounding a smaller "lock." Nice logo, but it might be read as "G-Lock."

Mike
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 19:25   #24
newbie2006

Timmah,

Great post! I'm a newbie as the name implies. While I always try to follow proper safety when handling firearms, extra advice always helps. I never really thought about the lead aspect of shooting. It's posts like this one from you that make me wish all gun owners were as responsible as those on this forum (at least from what you tell from a forum). Thanks again!
newbie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 00:01   #25
7.62FMJ

I purposely avoid indoor ranges just because of lead. You are more than likely exposed to nearly ten times the levels by shooting indoors.
7.62FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 19:32   #26
R. Gibson

Quote:
Originally posted by 7.62FMJ
I purposely avoid indoor ranges just because of lead. You are more than likely exposed to nearly ten times the levels by shooting indoors.
Like many, I usually use full metal jacketed round nose at range. What are my chances of contacting lead this way?
R. Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:38   #27
Timmah!
Senior Jackass

Quote:
Originally posted by R. Gibson
Like many, I usually use full metal jacketed round nose at range. What are my chances of contacting lead this way?
Unfortunately, exposure is still relatively high.

It is important to realize that lead is released into the range environment as fired rounds hit the backstop and/or at the target (depending on how robust the target itself is). FMJ rounds may redude this effect somewhat, but if you look at the debris that collects at the backstop, it seems unlikely that jacketing the rounds does much to prevent release. Its also impossible to know what other shooters are using for ammo and primers.

Check out this CDC Link and this UTEXAS Link for more information.

I think that if you follow some reasonable guidelines and routines, you can effectively reduce your exposure, and therefore better manage the associated risk.

All (worthwhile ) activities in this life involve some degree of risk; its all about understanding and managing those risks.

Have fun, be safe.

Tim
Old 03-03-2006, 15:16   #28
Eleventeen

Re: Re: A Collection of BASIC INFO....

Quote:
Originally posted by Babysinister
Also good for lead consciousness, take a package of moist wipes with you to the range, in case you don't have easy immediate access to a wash basin after shooting, and wipe your face and hands. This way you can use them even between shooting sessions.
Exactly what I do...there's always a couple of 'Wet One's' in my backpack, even on a daily basis. They're great for getting the lead and brass dust off your fingers and feel great for wiping your sweaty face on a hot day.
Eleventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 23:48   #29
cyberghostx13
Devil-Dog

Great Advice

Hello. I'm new to this site and first time Glock owner. I purchased a Glock 37 picked it up Saturday (3-18) and shot it Sunday. I'm a USMC Vietnam Veteran and I haven't fired a weapon but a few times since Vietnam. Katrina is what pushed me to finally get a weapon. Watching those lowlife armed looters in the State of Louisiana, specifically New Orleans really woke me up, and I live in California. Course no hurricane but another "Loma Prieta" could cause some major chaos. I was in that quake. Anyway now I have an excuse to go blast targets at the range. Man that smell of powder at the range brings back so many memories. My first weapon(Not including M14 at bootcamp) was an M-16 issued to me in Quang-Tri, fired and sighted in at the Rockpile just under the DMZ May 1968. Man this Glock 37 kicks 5 times harder than an M-16, but I love it. I didn't do to bad at the range either. Well thanks again for the advice and info. CG13.
cyberghostx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:41   #30
Kartar

Here are two web sites that have a great amount of information especially the first one.
http://www.glockfaq.com/default.htm
http://glockmeister.com/glockinf.shtml
Sub Club #112
Niner Club #112
1 Glock 26, 19 and a P9
Kartar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 00:04   #31
Mike of Oregon

What's a plug? and why would my G21 need one? When I play bass unplugged it means no amp/acoustic. What is an unplugged Glock?
Mike of Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:45   #32
Timmah!
Senior Jackass

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike of Oregon
What's a plug? and why would my G21 need one? When I play bass unplugged it means no amp/acoustic. What is an unplugged Glock?
Some folks like to fill the backstrap channel in the grip with one of these PLUGS, IMO, strictly a cosmetic item.

I don't believe that the plug has any impact on the Glock acoustically.

Tim
Old 04-04-2006, 22:44   #33
Mike of Oregon

Thanks, Timmah

A picture's worth a thousand words. I didn't even know there was a hole there!
Mike of Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 14:33   #34
Razoreye
♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

VIDEO OF DETAIL STRIPPING A GLOCK

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....0&pagenumber=2
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=530821

Since two good threads are bound to be buried I'm copying two links to access a nice detail stripping of a Glock video. Pictures are worth a thousand words but it's always better to be able to watch it happen with a thousand words being played, too!!

Quote:
Stats on the video:

12.14 MB video in .avi format of a man detail stripping a Glock 22. 7:08 minutes using DivxG400 codec, 320 x 216 resolution, 1.48:1 aspect ratio. A very good watch for beginners. Glocks are (not so) surprisingly easy to detail strip and reassemble. After one time you'll smack yourself on how easy it is and can do it from then on!

Uses the DivX codecs, Google that or go to www.divx.com to download.
(If you hear just sound but see no picture or nothing comes up at all.)
Link 1: (Hosted by me. Right-click and "Save target as" to download.)
http://www.razoreye.net/downloads/gl...tail_strip.avi

Link 2: (Hosted on a website, better link but may eventually break.)
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx

At the bottom of the page, same video.

Link 3: (Hosted at Megaupload.com)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RX9FAT3L

While they have annoying ads, none of it is malicious. Some of you might be confused how this free hosting works. Included below is the picture. Where the arrow is pointing is a timer that counts down. At around 10 seconds a popup slides right over that, just exit that popup and a link will be below that, right where the redbox/timer is. Just click it to download and save. I highly recommend it.

If neither link works, PM and I'll rehost it and update this post.

About the video: The guy uses a roll of tape, a punch, and a hammer to remove the pins from the receiver (frame.) People on this board don't recommend it citing damage as the reason why. However, I used a hex wrench (that matched with the appropriate pins,) a hammer, and the roll of tape. Just a few light taps and the pins pop right out. I did not experience any trouble using this method, no damage or anything. I do not see what the fuss is about unless you are uncoordinated and miss completely. (Although I suspect the frame is very sturdy and will hold up but might receive a few scratches.) YMMV.

EDIT: "If you manipulate the slide stop lever while pushing the trigger pin with the punch, the pin will come out. Hitting the punch with the mallet is a good way to damage the slide stop lever spring." Shamelessly taken from another thread. Use whichever method you're comfortable with but if this way is safer on the firearm then use it.

And if I close my mind in fear... Please pry it open!

Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.
Razoreye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 22:59   #35
blinddog

While I was in High School forty some odd years ago i was on the schools rifle team (yes they did have them way back then) we used an indoor range under the football stadium. Any way I got sick as heck one year from lead poisoning, small bore ri9fles in a closed environment, the exahst fans had not worked for a while and school did not feel they were important enough to repair right away. Dad had a long talk with the school board range got closed for three weeks while a new system was installed, my old man could be real persuasive when he wanted to be
But airborn lead is nothing to joke about I do not shoot outside even with out long sleeves and gloves and change and shower right after
Lead makes your hair fall out too, I guess thats what happened anyhow.
G21 Club #0221
blinddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 20:46   #36
BustedFlush
Springy Member

BTT to help new Glockers find this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- Add your SN prefix to the list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- No Hammers!

- Timmah!

:patriot:
BustedFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 22:33   #37
Armed Infidel
~ Old Warrior ~

Great stuff Tim... saved me some loot too buying replacement parts that I really don't need! Thank you sir!
Old 11-09-2006, 23:52   #38
GooberPP

Send a message via Yahoo to GooberPP
lead poisoning

Lead toxicity is an important topic for shooters.
Lead is also evaporated from the base of the bullet during firing. This means that there is more lead in the air near the firing line from a jacketed round nose which generally has exposed lead at the base than from a hollow point with a closed base in which the lead is only exposed to high temperature when it hits the back stop.
The other source at the firing line is the primer. Most contain lead styphnate as the primary explosive. When it goes off, the resulting gas does not go far from the firing line and can be inhaled.
You need good ventilation from the back of the firing line and out beyond the backstop when shooting, use latex gloves when handling lead, fired cases, and anything else that is contaminated with the waste from the primer, and wash your hands thoroughly before touching any mucus membrane or anything that go there, e.g. smoking, eating.
Of course I have no medical or toxicological certification and could be entirely wrong. And I actually don't use the gloves but I do a lot of prompt washing.
I also refuse to get a lead test because state law requires high lead levels be reported to the state department of health.
Old 12-16-2006, 19:46   #39
Tennglockgolfer
NRA Life Member

Thanks for all the WISDOM!!!!!
Volunteer Glockers #68
Ky CCDW
G22 G26
Titleist- Scotty Cameron
JER 29:11
Tennglockgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:14   #40
Darwinkle

Send a message via Skype™ to Darwinkle
Quote:
Originally posted by TylerS
I've had people call in looking for G-locks every now and again, believe it or not.
It's Gee-Lock at my house! Helps when the wife if paying the C/C bill. Oh ya honey, it's a part for the porch door....again!