Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:24   #1
Eagle78101

So, just how uncool are minivans?

Anybody here drive one? Personally, I like them because they are safe (relatively speaking) and designed to be practical rather than stylish. But they are stereotyped as "momobiles" and people have rather strong opinions either for or against them.

What do you think?
Eagle78101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:29   #2
Dandapani

They serve a purpose. BTDT. Family grew out of the mini-van stage. The newer ones are much cooler than during my mini-van years.
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 13:20   #3
bac1023

I have never owned one, but wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I had the need. I don't know if I'd get one over a 4x4 SUV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 14:17   #4
Asha'man
eat the eat!

I'd never drive one.

Brian

I have no guns. Guns are bad. I know because the government told me so. The government knows ALL.
Asha'man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 16:22   #5
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

IMHO, and I'm sure this will go over like a lead zepplin, but minivans are cooler than SUVs for the most part. In my neck of the woods, 90% of them do the exact same thing, which is haul kids around, and minivans do it better (to me). As stated in the "$35,000" thread though, my preference for baby hauling is a wagon, booyah.

Does anyone remember the article where they autocrossed a Honda Odyssey (iirc), and with decent tires, it was actually decently quick? I think they contrasted it with a Porsche 356 or somehting like that

Last edited by Rob1035; 10-09-2005 at 16:25..
Rob1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 16:31   #6
dissthis
Gun Fan

Mini-van??

NEVER, even with the 3rd child on the way!!
dissthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 18:30   #7
DaisyCutter

Yer balls will fall right off.
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 21:47   #8
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

I'd only get a Honda or Toyota. Just personal prefernce.

I'd try to make a sport wagon to work first. Subaru makes some nice sporty wagons (some even with turbos, but all with AWD).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 21:49   #9
DaisyCutter

...an you start sitting to pee too...
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:52   #10
UCF-Tacoma

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob1035
IMHO, and I'm sure this will go over like a lead zepplin, but minivans are cooler than SUVs for the most part. In my neck of the woods, 90% of them do the exact same thing, which is haul kids around, and minivans do it better (to me). As stated in the "$35,000" thread though, my preference for baby hauling is a wagon, booyah.

Does anyone remember the article where they autocrossed a Honda Odyssey (iirc), and with decent tires, it was actually decently quick? I think they contrasted it with a Porsche 356 or somehting like that
It was a Super Bird or whatever the proper name is. The one with the big wing. And the Odyssey was weighed down with waitresses to even out the weight difference.
Big Dawg #757, Glock 30 with AGrip, Bushmaster A3 Shorty, Mossberg 590A1, Ruger 10/22 Stainless

Anyone got info on a Springfield 97a? Maybe a manual? PM me.
UCF-Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:45   #11
Sir Hacksalot

one thing about a mini-van...it's easier to shag your wife and/or girlfriend or both in one of those than a car.

Hax
Old 10-10-2005, 13:32   #12
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

UFC- was that grassroots motorsports? I seem to think it was...
Old 10-10-2005, 13:40   #13
Sir Hacksalot

Quote:
If you have some sort of PSP suite, you can search and download a video clip of an older Dodge Caravan that has a small turbo charged 4 cylinder engine in it. Unbeknownst to most, that little engine can stand a TON of boost, and make sick power.

The video is a minivan with a soccer ball sticker on it ANNIHILATING a Camaro at a drag strip, it's by far one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

If you can download it, it's worth the watch as you can hear the people in the stands laughing their *****es off.

Hax
Old 10-10-2005, 15:04   #14
gixxer11
bbrrraaapppppp!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Hacksalot
If you have some sort of PSP suite, you can search and download a video clip of an older Dodge Caravan that has a small turbo charged 4 cylinder engine in it. Unbeknownst to most, that little engine can stand a TON of boost, and make sick power.

The video is a minivan with a soccer ball sticker on it ANNIHILATING a Camaro at a drag strip, it's by far one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

If you can download it, it's worth the watch as you can hear the people in the stands laughing their *****es off.

Hax

Ya mean this video?
#1340 10mm Reloading & 10 Ring member
gixxer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 15:05   #15
Sir Hacksalot

That'd be it.

Hax
Old 10-10-2005, 15:22   #16
gixxer11
bbrrraaapppppp!

Re: So, just how uncool are minivans?

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle78101
Anybody here drive one? Personally, I like them because they are safe (relatively speaking) and designed to be practical rather than stylish. But they are stereotyped as "momobiles" and people have rather strong opinions either for or against them.

What do you think?
Hey, Mazda Miatas are supposed to be for girls, but I would love to own one (if I could fit in the thing). BTW, the Honda or the Toyota are pretty cool in my book. Especially compared to Buick Rondevous (and all it's BS varuants), Ford Escape, and all of the other "cute-utes". You could do ALOT worse than buying a mini-van. Hell you could buy another POS Caddy for $70k that is totally indistinguishble from it's POS Suburban counterpart. They're both some of the UGLYIST (along with the H2&3 Hummers) vehicles ever produced. And you'll blend right in with all the "moms".
#1340 10mm Reloading & 10 Ring member
gixxer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 21:23   #17
vart

My wife traded in her 2001 Infiniti QX4 luxury SUV for a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country minivan and she swears she won't go back to an SUV until the kids are out of the house.

The van is so much more practical, roomy, comfortable, and averages 24 mpg compared to 15 mpg for the SUV.

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

"Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk"
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 22:35   #18
walangkatapat

After totaling my 95 Impala SS ~sd I only had one choice and that was, is the minivan. Frankly they are very versatile and get decent gas mileage. My family of five and used to have two labs works out very well. Seats eight, the back and middle seats are removable and there's enough room to haul two 40 gallon water heaters to the dump as well as other items. Also all the target stands, steel plates, range bags, firearms that can be hauled to the range.

Last edited by walangkatapat; 10-10-2005 at 22:37..
walangkatapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 22:42   #19
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

My family had a Ford Aerostar for a while when I was younger. We got it because at the time we were taking weekly trips to a town 2.5 hours away to visit my great grandmother who was towards the end of her run.

We got the van so the four of us (or more sometimes) could make the trip as comfortably as possible. Man those things are sweet for road trips. We had the 4 capatians chairs and back bench setup. That bench made a great bed while on the road. We kept a cooler in the back so we didn't even have to stop to eat. Just grab some pre-made sandwiches and drinks out of the cooler and pass them around.

epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 18:45   #20
coreseller

Real Simple: Minivans are INCREDIBLY practical, especially if you have more than 2 kids. The wife got a new Oddysey this past spring, no regrets, 24 plus mpg loaded down on the road. Our old minivan (99 Olds Silhouette) was the worst POS we've ever owned (20 trips to the shop in 4 years). To be honest, I'll occassionally drive her van to relax and she takes my new GTO for fun. BTW, I still stand to pee and the boys are still there, I need them when road racing my Cobra....;f
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote