Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:24   #1
Mark IV

BS Flag is Up

I would like for some of you guys to check out this web site and see what you think.

http://www.kmfmartialarts.com

Here is one good example:

Quote:
B.J. Moody J.R. registered 975 hours in the year 1996 making him the youngest instructor in that year to achieve those hours at the Brock-Do-jujitsu facility, Garnett, Kansas.
Quote:
Youngest Sensei: B.J. Moody J.R. registered in August of 2003 with a core score of %98.7 at age 11 in the Brock-Do-jujitsu facility in Garnett, Kansas.
So, he was a Sensei at age 11 in 2003, in 1996 he would have been 4. How many people would pay to learn martial arts from a 4 year old?

-Thucydides
Mark IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:51   #2
grenadier

Probably a typo somewhere. I'm guessing that they meant "21" years of age when he became a sensei. At just about any traditional martial arts school, it's extremely unlikely that anyone who isn't at least an adult, or close to it, would have the title of sensei.

But yeah, if we were to assume that the typing were correct, then having a 4 year old instructor would be very disturbing, at best, and the folks at Bullshido.net would be all over that like white on refined rice. If he were 14 years old at the time of becoming an assistant instructor, that would still be rather young and still unlikely, although not impossible.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:21   #3
Mark IV

Did a little more research and found this:

http://www.brockdo.com/members.htm#BJ

Says he is in Jr. High.

-Thucydides
Old 10-13-2005, 17:21   #4
Sanchin

There's an epidemic of McDojo's out there that give kids blackbelts and call them sensei,even traditional styles. It's all about the money. My advice,don't train where they are.
Sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:57   #5
walangkatapat

The school I trained you had to be eighteen before they allowed you to be tested for blackbelt rank.
Old 10-15-2005, 23:59   #6
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Send a message via AIM to Roundeyesamurai Send a message via Yahoo to Roundeyesamurai
Quote:
Originally posted by Sanchin
There's an epidemic of McDojo's out there that give kids blackbelts and call them sensei,even traditional styles. It's all about the money. My advice,don't train where they are.
Not "traditional", bud- schools like that wouldn't know "traditional" if it bit them in the ass!
Roundeyesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:52   #7
Chad Landry
Cajunator®

There's a TKD school close to my house which is run by a 17-year-old.

I like the kid, but I wouldn't bring my son there. The atmosphere in his classes is too laid back for me. No discipline. They don't even bow to the flag.

Good kid, but not for my son.
Outpost Mod #69
Chad Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 22:06   #8
454ThunderGod
Handgun Hunter

Agreed.......I am skeptical of the teachings of someone who allows a child to be given the title of sensei.

It is fantastic to see some of our youth involved in a style with such dedication, as some of them who start at such a young age and continue on for a decade or more.

However, Even if the person has agreeably mastered all techniques and forms. To master the technique is not to master the style.

As you all know with each style exists a realm of understanding that expands far beyond technique.

The child is to be commended for their skill....however.
One must always be mindful that a child that is for whatever reason....a sensei.....is still a child. It is essential to understand this.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:44   #9
grenadier

Maybe the boy is an amazing prodigy. There are, after all, a number of child geniuses that finished college before exiting their single digit years.

Even if he were such a prodigy, though, I still disapprove of this. A 4 year old is in NO shape to teach others the martial arts. You need real life experience, when it comes to dealing with other people, and no 4 year old is going to have anywhere near the experience level that's required to interact with others. Even someone at the age of 11 still lacks the social experience, etc., needed.

Maybe by the time they hit high school, they could possibly have enough experience, but even then, that's still pushing the limits.

The question that should be asked, is what does this school make their "instructors" do? If this means that he would simply serve as a good example without saying anything, then that's one thing, but if they would actually have him teaching a class, that's out of line.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:06   #10
Mark IV

Quote:
Originally posted by grenadier
The question that should be asked, is what does this school make their "instructors" do? If this means that he would simply serve as a good example without saying anything, then that's one thing, but if they would actually have him teaching a class, that's out of line.
I don't think this is the case, this is from his "bio" in the link.

"Job Title: Head Weapons Instructor, Owner / Operator"

-Thucydides
Old 10-21-2005, 18:49   #11
brock sampson

Did you guys not see the TV series years ago starring Earnie Reyes Jr.? Remember, the one where he was about 12 and every week he and his grandfather would get randomly attacked by thugs or end up in a bank while it was being held up? So obviously there's lots of child prodigies running around keeping our streets and playgrounds safe! I mean, if it was on TV...
brock sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 19:02   #12
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Send a message via AIM to Roundeyesamurai Send a message via Yahoo to Roundeyesamurai
Remember folks, that McDojos are foremostly a business, and that their primary focus is on children. Because of this, they have to offer incentive for the children to want to continue, such as awarding rank. Awarding rank regularly also increases the amount of money the parents have to pay (testing fees, competition fees, etc.).

I usually recommend avoiding any school where there are instructors under the age of 30, but there are exceptions to the rule.
Roundeyesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:26   #13
Sanchin

Quote:
Originally posted by Roundeyesamurai
Not "traditional", bud- schools like that wouldn't know "traditional" if it bit them in the ass!
Good point! ;a
Old 10-22-2005, 23:41   #14
bunkerbuster

okay, if they are 7th dan at the age before they can even legally drive, I am 1000th dan...

Yeah, I am 1000th dan at Bunkerbuster DO.... jezus

;Q
bunkerbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:14   #15
Sanchin

Quote:
Originally posted by bunkerbuster
okay, if they are 7th dan at the age before they can even legally drive, I am 1000th dan...

Yeah, I am 1000th dan at Bunkerbuster DO.... jezus

;Q

HA! You are just a beginner!!! I am Nth Degree!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/nthdegree_news
Old 10-23-2005, 12:55   #16
bunkerbuster

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanchin
HA! You are just a beginner!!! I am Nth Degree!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/nthdegree_news
LOL.. You win!

bunkerbuster is offline   Reply With Quote