Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:15   #1
WEATHERBY460

I need a fast car for $35000 and under?

I am looking at maybe a new gto, charger, or even a used vette thats a few years old. I don't really want to spend over 35,000. Pledse help me get some ideas. If I can't find what I am looking for exactly, I think I might go then for a ford or dodge diesal truck. Thanks.
WEATHERBY460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:37   #2
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

I live the 05 GTO, they are all over Ebay for $30k and under. You just have to decide what you want, as a corvette, GTO, and Charger are all drastically different cars.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:20   #3
Asha'man
eat the eat!

'03-'04 Cobra. You can pick one up for $25k-ish used, and with a thousand bucks in mods you'll be laying down close to 500rwhp.

Brian

I have no guns. Guns are bad. I know because the government told me so. The government knows ALL.
Asha'man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 14:42   #4
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by Asha'man
'03-'04 Cobra. You can pick one up for $25k-ish used, and with a thousand bucks in mods you'll be laying down close to 500rwhp.

Brian
+1

I read a performance comparo between the GTO (the 5.7 lter one) and a Mustang Mach I the Mach I beat the crap out of it everywhere but in comfort.

The Cobra makes the Mach I look like a V-6. The new Cobra (GT 500) is supposed to stay under the 35k mark and have 450-500 hp stock. Not to mention the same supercharger tricks used on the 03-04 will still work (smaller SC pulleys and shuch). I could see an easy 550-600 rwp for well under 40k with the new ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 17:11   #5
DaisyCutter

I'd aim for a classic Corvette or other "classic" car. Get one that is appreciating in value
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 21:02   #6
Ron3

GTO's are really heavy. So is the Charger. I believe both are around 3800lbs.

I'd go for the '03-'04 Cobra, '03-'04 Mach 1, Corvette, Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX or WRX STI (If you can handle it's appearance)

The cars I listed here are all well under $35000 except the Corvette depending what year you get.

Ron3
Ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 21:14   #7
Nelybarg
NC Glocker 30

second on the WRX STi or the Mistu EVO. yes they're imports. they're faster than (insert expletive) and they're all wheel drive.

you'll hear domestic vs. import arguments, blah blah blah. go drive one, you'll fall in lust.
Nelybarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 21:16   #8
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

there's always the 93-98 Toyota Supra Turbo, which can get stupid power, and is built to take it...

Local guy daily drives his with a 5xxwhp "conservative tune"
Old 09-25-2005, 21:17   #9
DaisyCutter

An import will never be this cool:

Corvette for sale from Cn'V Corvette Sales - Arizona, USA - Print version

1965 Corvette Bright Blue Convertible
Matching #'s Roadster $38,500
This California Street Cruiser has Bright Blue exterior with front and rear flared wheelwells. Correct grille. Factory side exhaust. Hardtop only. Matching numbers 327-350hp engine with correct components, 4 Speed with original shifter. Excellent Black interior. Original am-fm. Cragar S/S chromed mags with white lettered radials. New rear quarter panels go with this car. $38,500 More Pictures Soon.

Car Forum

In 10 years a Subaru import will be worth $6,000. The 'vette will be worth $60,000.
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 19:37   #10
G27dogmannfl

Send a message via AIM to G27dogmannfl
Quote:
Originally posted by DaisyCutter

This California Street Cruiser has Bright Blue exterior with front and rear flared wheelwells. Correct grille. Factory side exhaust. Hardtop only. Matching numbers 327-350hp engine with correct components, 4 Speed with original shifter. Excellent Black interior. Original am-fm. Cragar S/S chromed mags with white lettered radials. New rear quarter panels go with this car. $38,500 More Pictures Soon.

Car Forum

In 10 years a Subaru import will be worth $6,000. The 'vette will be worth $60,000.
now thats a car that makes you fall in lust just looking at it
G27dogmannfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 19:58   #11
wizzi01

Send a message via ICQ to wizzi01 Send a message via AIM to wizzi01
Quote:
Originally posted by DaisyCutter

Car Forum

Now if that was a 69 camaro rs/ss convertible you would be talking.
wizzi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 20:58   #12
vart

I would consider the new Dodge Charger SRT-8...The numbers are quite impressive . It puts out 425hp; same as the original 426 HEMI but with fewer cubic inches.
I read a Motor Trend article on the SRT-8 HEMI motor in a Dodge Magnum and they said that Dodge's goal was to match the power numbers of the original motor.
Back in `69 or so, they ran an actual street 425hp HEMI on a dyno with no accesories robbing it of power or a restrictive exhaust system. It put out 467hp. Motor Trend reported that the same was done with the new motor, and incredibly, it also cranked out 467hp;P .
The article reported track times of 12-sec quarter miles and 0-60 in the sub 5-sec range; that's in a heavier Magnum body .
This car packs some serious power in a car that is more comfortable than a Mustang and doesn't carry the image of being a frat boy with too much money .

Car Forum

Car Forum
Old 09-26-2005, 21:09   #13
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

but will it have a stick shift? Or will they pull an "AMG" and make all their hot cars slushboxes...
Old 09-26-2005, 21:13   #14
SilverState

Guys, the Street Race Technology (SRT) Charger and the Shelby Cobra are way out of this guy's price limit.

The GTO is within his limit and makes around 400hp. Afterall, it does have the new Corvette engine.

Now for those of you have have suggested a used Cobra, let me note that you could buy a used Corvette Z06 and for about a grand, make about 550rwhp and run about 11 seconds flat in the quarter on some cheater slicks or drag radials.

And for those of you that say it can't be done, I have done it. I had to sell it when my wife had a baby and now have an '04 M3. Not quite a Vette, but 333hp and 0-60 in under 5 seconds stock is nothing to laugh at (even with the car seat in the back). But the M3 is also out of this guy's price range, so once again I think you can't go wrong with the GTO for under $35K or a used Z06 ('02-'04) for the same price.
SilverState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 21:36   #15
vart

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverState
Guys, the Street Race Technology (SRT) Charger and the Shelby Cobra are way out of this guy's price limit.

The SRT-8 has a suggested retail of $39k; I'm pretty certain he could walk out the door with one for $35k .
Old 09-26-2005, 23:30   #16
Asha'man
eat the eat!

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverState

The GTO is within his limit and makes around 400hp. Afterall, it does have the new Corvette engine.

Now for those of you have have suggested a used Cobra, let me note that you could buy a used Corvette Z06 and for about a grand, make about 550rwhp and run about 11 seconds flat in the quarter on some cheater slicks or drag radials.

And for those of you that say it can't be done, I have done it. I had to sell it when my wife had a baby and now have an '04 M3. Not quite a Vette, but 333hp and 0-60 in under 5 seconds stock is nothing to laugh at (even with the car seat in the back). But the M3 is also out of this guy's price range, so once again I think you can't go wrong with the GTO for under $35K or a used Z06 ('02-'04) for the same price.
I hear ya on the Z06, although I don't think you could find a used one as cheap as a used Terminator ('03-'04 Cobra). Depends on if he wants a backseat and the ability to haul some stuff or not. My buddy gets two drag radials on Prostars into his '03 GT no problem, since the back seats fold down to lengthen the trunk. The Vette can't carry much but a golf bag.

I'll disagree on the GTO suggestion - they're not that fast for what they are (LS1-powered cars) and they look like a Sunfire or Crapalier. Maybe the 400hp LS2 cars are better, I haven't seen many around yet.

Brian

I have no guns. Guns are bad. I know because the government told me so. The government knows ALL.
Old 09-26-2005, 23:31   #17
Asha'man
eat the eat!

BTW SilverState, what'd you do to the Z for under a grand to net 550rwhp? All I can think of is nitrous.

Brian

Old 09-27-2005, 14:36   #18
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob1035
there's always the 93-98 Toyota Supra Turbo, which can get stupid power, and is built to take it...

Local guy daily drives his with a 5xxwhp "conservative tune"
I can't believe I forgot about that one. One of my all time favs.

Yeah 500 rwhp and it's barely even breaking a sweat.

www.suprastore.com

^ cool stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by epsylum; 09-27-2005 at 14:39..
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 15:07   #19
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Fast car under $35K...How fast is fast? If you want fast-fast then it's hard to beat a used Corvette Z06. Used 'Vettes can easily be had under $35K. If you want moderately fast but brand new then those rice burner turbocharged AWD jobbers like the Lancer Evolution and the STi are hard to beat. Used Mustang Cobras are fast, but I wouldn't have anything to do with the crappy chassis. The Charger and the GTO V8s are fast, but they are sedans and their chasses don't appeal to me either.

One might be able to find a used BMW M3 E46 for under $35k. After all, they've been out since 2001 or 2002.
Old 09-27-2005, 16:00   #20
WEATHERBY460

thanks for the help guys, but i still don't know what to focus on. I like the gto, but it just seems on the small side to me. The charger is nice, but after having a dodge ram truck the last 6 years, I am a little turned off by dodge vehicles, will not buy import, and am anti-mustang, have owned a camaro since i was 16....but saddened, they don't make them anymore. The corvette is what I want, but the wife and me might be having a kid in the next couple years and she doesn't like the idea of no backseat for a carseat..........there has got to be something out there to suit me?????.
WEATHERBY460 is offline   Reply With Quote