SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2005, 21:36   #1
gixxer11
bbrrraaapppppp!

future classics

We all know cars like '69 Camaros, Vettes, Stangs, Impalas, 'Cudas, etc. will have a following for a long time, if not forever, but what do you guys think will be considred a classic in 2020? I think the Toyota Supra, WRX STI, Evo Lancer, current Mustang, would all make the list. Of course anything from Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. are instant classics. I'm talking about "everyday" mass produced vehicles.
#1340 10mm Reloading & 10 Ring member
gixxer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 22:33   #2
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

The original Viper. It has a following now and I think for mopar fans it's the new Superbird. It has had great success in the GT2 class of the Le Mans series, so it has the race track cred to back it up.

Vette- It will always have a devoted following, especially that new 550 hp Z06

Ford GT? maybe. I think it's an awesome car, but I think ford shouldn't put such a high price tag on it. But then again, what other car from the big 3 is actually hand made. Their answer to the Z06 should be easy.... MORE BOOST! well that and some more downforce to keep it planted at the higher velocities.

Anything Porsche, especially the Carerra GT. Anyone who got one needs to hang on to it since they basically cancelled production due to some stupid airbag law (Porsche decided it would cost way too much to smash up even more CGTs in impact tests just to conform to a stupid airbag law). Those will definately go WAY up in value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 23:35   #3
Asha'man
eat the eat!

Fox Mustangs. '87-'93 especially, but hopefully the four-eyed cars too ('79-'86).

Brian

I have no guns. Guns are bad. I know because the government told me so. The government knows ALL.
Asha'man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 17:03   #4
dbrowne1

Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
Anything Porsche, especially the Carerra GT. Anyone who got one needs to hang on to it since they basically cancelled production due to some stupid airbag law (Porsche decided it would cost way too much to smash up even more CGTs in impact tests just to conform to a stupid airbag law). Those will definately go WAY up in value.
...from it's paltry, affordable sticker of $440,000 now.

I think the previous generation Audi S4 (with the 2.7 bi-turbo) and possibly even some of the 1.8T cars (TT225, A4 quattro) will have some value if kept well.

WRX STi might too. I'm not real thrilled with the current "regular" lineup from Porsche. The newest BMW M cars, and the 6 series coupes, are also candidates for classics. Supercharged MB AMGs as well.

Land Rover Defender 90 is very popular due to the airbag issue. Great if you live on an island or on a mountain.
dbrowne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 17:46   #5
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by dbrowne1
...from it's paltry, affordable sticker of $440,000 now.
Never said it was affordable, but the thing will definately be worth millions in the future.

High dollar super car from a world class automaker that was cut short due to stupid laws thus limiting thier already limited production. Yeah the value will go up exponentially.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 22:46   #6
jetrecbn1

Nissan 300Z and Supra of the early 90's.
The new Mustang and Mini.
jetrecbn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 20:19   #7
Ramtuff

The Pontiac Fiero. Love em or hate em, it's a two-seat mid-engine car that was only produced for 5 years...it has all the earmarks to make it a classic. It's already immensly popular due to being a very, very versitile platform (body kits, interior swaps, engine swaps).

Last edited by Ramtuff; 10-02-2005 at 20:42..
Ramtuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 20:50   #8
gixxer11
bbrrraaapppppp!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramtuff
The Pontiac Fiero. Love em or hate em, it's a two-seat mid-engine car that was only produced for 5 years...it has all the earmarks to make it a classic. It's already immensly popular due to being a very, very versitile platform (body kits, interior swaps, engine swaps).
I agree.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:49   #9
dbrowne1

The 3rd (and last) generation of the Mazda RX-7. Great styling, great numbers, and a turbocharged wankel engine.

Plus the fact that the RX-8 is an abomination in virtually every way.
dbrowne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 15:37   #10
StockGlock23
Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally posted by jetrecbn1
Nissan 300Z

10-4
Old 10-04-2005, 15:38   #11
StockGlock23
Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally posted by dbrowne1
The 3rd (and last) generation of the Mazda RX-7. Great styling, great numbers, and a turbocharged wankel engine.

10-4
Old 10-05-2005, 14:20   #12
gixxer11
bbrrraaapppppp!

Quote:
Originally posted by jetrecbn1
Nissan 300Z and Supra of the early 90's.
The new Mustang and Mini.
Yup. Those are awesome cars!

And the RX-8 is definately not a replacement for the 7. I saw an '95 RX-7 TT for $11k (light front damage, runs and drives). I would like to get something like that.

Last edited by gixxer11; 10-05-2005 at 14:23..
Old 10-06-2005, 17:48   #13
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

The Toyota MR2 turbo might make it to classic status. The Grand National is almost there already. The final year of the f body will make it. GM killed off a car that was finally getting good. Too bad the interior always sucked because performance wise it was beating the moosetang.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 18:46   #14
Ramtuff

Quote:
Originally posted by 45acp4me
GM killed off a car that was finally getting good.
GM seems to have a habit of doing that. ;c
Ramtuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:07   #15
Sir Hacksalot

Quote:
Originally posted by Asha'man
Fox Mustangs. '87-'93 especially, but hopefully the four-eyed cars too ('79-'86).

Brian
Yup. I just sold my two toys in the last 6 months, and well, I expect these cars, especially unmolested low mileage cars to go up in price. One was a pretty hot coupe and the other a stone stock hatchback...both LX cars, both 5 speed cars.

The most collectible, outside of the special edition cars (Saleen, Rousch, 7 up cars, etc.) will be the Police models and the notchback coupes.

FYI...I just sold a CHERRY 1993 Reef Blue hatchback, 5.0/5 speed car that was stone stock down to the AIR SILENCER with 105K miles for $6000. I was asking $6200, and was hoping for $5500...I was shocked when the guy offered me $6K, and my first thought was, I should have asked more.

Of all the cars in the 'modern muscle car era' the 5.0 Mustang is the STANDARD by which all other cars are judged, and NOTHING, I mean NOTHING sounds like a 5.0. It was cheap, lightweight, and very very very easy to make into a very quick and good handling car. In fact, my motto on a 5.0 that was in decent shape was, "if you can't make it run 12.99 or better, you're a moron."

The one thing I miss about my notch...the look on some import driving puke's face when he just got a look at the taillights of my car...particularly after they've just watched the slow and the stupid, I mean fast and furious.

Sir Hacksalot
Old 10-12-2005, 18:38   #16
AUG

I don't see anything of asian decent becomming a classic.

The new stang might make it to that status but it is too early to tell.

People should stop confusing low production with classics. The two things have nothing to do with each other.

From 1980-present the only classics I see are UN-ALTERED versions of:

Buick Grand Nationals
87-93 5.0 mustangs
454 SS Chevy pu's
all corvettes
Ford lightning trucks
96 and earlier Impala SS
Dodge vipers

I don't think mega priced super cars will ever be classics.
AUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 18:57   #17
gixxer11
bbrrraaapppppp!

Quote:
Originally posted by AUG
I don't see anything of asian decent becomming a classic.

Have you priced the last gen. Toyota Supras? They bring as much now w/ 100k mi on them as they did new! Those are for sure going to be worth even more money, since they are FAST and easy to make a ton of power. I'm with you on the 454SS pickup though. I helped start the new SS, Lightening, SRT, and all the other high-performace trucks.
Old 10-12-2005, 21:02   #18
AUG

I know those supras are priced really stupid right now. As for it being a classic I don't think in 25 years many people will be lined up to buy supras.

Not saying it is not an awesome car. Just not a classic by any stretch of the imagination.
AUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 21:17   #19
Toxie

Quote:
I know those supras are priced really stupid right now. As for it being a classic I don't think in 25 years many people will be lined up to buy supras.
The tuner kids of today are the "classic" decision makers for later. After all, a "classic" car is one that helped define the essence of a vehicle of a peticular era. The supra certianly did that, along with the 300Z.

No accounting for taste though. One man's classic is another man's Rice (or rustang).
Toxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 17:25   #20
BigC3031
Vigilante

Send a message via AIM to BigC3031
I don't think you will see as many "classics" because they have so much stuff in them that will be hard to maintain. Up through the 70's there wasn't much to cars, now there is just to much for the average Joe to maintain.
Kahr MK9

NRA Life Member, MCRGO member
BigC3031 is offline   Reply With Quote