Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:40   #1
Timothy658

Helmets

Where could I find motorcycle helmets online? Just purchased my first bike about a month ago, and havent ridden it yet. Need a helmet first....just finished glancing over an article at Motorcyclist on helmets, and they seemed to have good things to say about the Z1R ZRP-1. Where can I find this? Do you guys have anything to say about it?
Timothy658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:23   #2
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

http://www.helmetcity.com
Old 10-15-2005, 17:22   #3
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

I wouldn't go off of just what a magazine says. It's something that requires fitting you. Go try a bunch on. Get one that is comfortable and from a reputable brand (I don't give a damn what thier test says, it'll be a cold day in hell when I choose a Pepboys brand helmet over my Arai).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 19:50   #4
whogasak47
JPFO-GOA

Try to buy your helmet local

You want this piece of safety eqiup. to fit the best. save money on ordering tires,sprockets,cables ect .online. Try on many and get the best fit for you. Good Luck and Ride Safe. Remember ,it's just money in a crash. Survive it.walk away!
Rule #1 Watch out for Number 1.
Rule #2 Remember your Number.

There is nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot.
whogasak47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:28   #5
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

Or do what I did.
Try on the helmets at the local stealership, then order online. I saved nearly $100 that way.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:19   #6
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
Originally posted by NMGlocker
Or do what I did.
Try on the helmets at the local stealership, then order online. I saved nearly $100 that way.

That's exacly what I did with my Arai and saved like $130. I like to spend money locally but $130 is a lot of money.
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:54   #7
BushyAR15

Same here. Fit is very important. Some companies like Arai, make helmets for different head shapes. I find that some helmets even within the same line don't all fit the same.

So, try some on first!

Quote:
Originally posted by NMGlocker
Or do what I did.
BushyAR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:02   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I won't comment on trying out gears at dealerships and shops then buy online. I wouldn't do it as a matter of principles (OK, I'd do it because Bert's Mega Mall and Chapparal Motorsports are true rip-off joints so screw'em), but you gotta know what you're buying when it comes to helmet.

My first rule is that I won't buy a used one. How do you know that it wasn't dropped or banged up and has internal cracks? My second rule is to buy a helmet that fits me. The best helmet in the world with the best vents and the best everything won't do you any good if it flops around on your head.

I'd suggest for the helmet purchaser to go and measure his head not just for the actual measurements but for the head shape as well. And then go check out the various helmet manufacturers' website for a specific model for a certain head shape. For example my roundish fat head fits well with the Arai Quantum II series but not the other Arais.

I know that Arai, Shoei, Suomy have different models for different head shapes. I am not sure about the other manufacturers like HJC and KBC, et al.

If you are bothered to buy a helmet and wear it, then go the extra distance and don't compromise on the fit. One can debate whether or not a DOT & Snell rated helmet is better or a DOT-only rated helmet is better, or whether or not you need the nice removable liners of an Arai, or the Scorpion is a better price/quality ratio. Or whether or not a $200 Icon is as nice as a $500 Shoei. But one shouldn't debate on whether or not a helmet should fit properly.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:57   #9
TimP
1 Proud Infidel

Send a message via AIM to TimP
get one that fits you, then worry about how it looks and what it costs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Field Editor

Intermedia Outdoors
TimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 20:16   #10
c5367
Esq.

Send a message via AIM to c5367
Fit is the most important factor. If it fits you, I suggest the Shoei X-11. Very light, well ventilated and great protection.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:15   #11
phxtravis
Professional

personally after owning a scorpion and then getting a Shoei, I would never own a "cheap" helmet again. My Shoei was noticably lighter, which translates to comfort to me.
phxtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:01   #12
shark_za
Woes

Also dont worry if the helmet feels a little tight on you, this is good.
It always gives a little, better to be tight at first, then moulded to your pip than have a lid that losens on you.
shark_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 23:28   #13
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

When the day comes that you ride 700+ miles in your Arai helmet, which you purchased from your local dealer, who fit it precisely to your noggin, you'll understand that they are the best value in helmets despite the price.

Or, if your end up like me, someday you'll get to say, "an Arai helmet saved my life and prevented all injury to my head."

I've owned lots of helmets. I literally have a closet full right now. There is no more comfortable or safe helmet available than an Arai. They are expensive, but so is care for head-trauma.

You will save money in the long run if you buy the best to begin with.