Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-18-2005, 21:09   #1
aspartz

Wilderness FR/EMT

What exactly is a Wilderness FR or EMT? Is this a nationally recognized level of training? From what I've researched, the class is LONG. I would hate to subject my rescue crew to a 100+ hr class only to get a certification that is of no actual use.

Is anyone else here trained to this level? If so, how do the med director/control and protocols work out?

ARS
Old 10-19-2005, 12:19   #2
Victory

the only states i know of that have EMT-W certs are alaska and Maine.
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 17:30   #3
TerraMedicX

Wilderness FR and EMT are usually taught by NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School). The FR is a national DOT cert anyway, so its fine anywhere in the nation. The EMT meets all National Registry standards and usually qualifies you to sit for the NR exam.

The Wilderness portion is just an add on (in fact you can get a Wilderness add-on if you're already an EMT or FR) and basically just teaches you to improvise splints and such, plus a little more about long-term treatment of the ill and injured. So the WFR and WEMT also counts as an urban certification and works just like any other national registry cert, and then NOLS tells you that you're now better able to take care of people in the wilderness.

Oh yea...the wilderness classes are hard to find and a LOT more expensive than a standard urban class.

Nate.