Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2005, 16:07   #1
Jimmey

heave lifting

I heard that heave lifting, can weaken the lower throat muscle and have reflux from the stomach.(weak esophageal lower sphincter muscle) i may caused my condition. I lift but don't like to lay flat. Any one have this problem?
Jimmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 16:21   #2
California Jack

Wish I could help, gut I don't know what HEAVE lifting is.
Old 10-24-2005, 17:05   #3
DBradD

Re: heave lifting

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmey
I heard that heave lifting, can weaken the lower throat muscle and have reflux from the stomach.(weak esophageal lower sphincter muscle) i may caused my condition. I lift but don't like to lay flat. Any one have this problem?
From doing heavy squats, deadlifts, etc, you can develop a hiatal hernia. Sorry if I butchered the spelling. One of my doctors years ago told me that I had developed one during my old powerlifting days. I have no clue if he was right because I quit powerlifting about that time. My understanding is that there's a sphincter muscle where the esophogus intersects the diaphragm and this is the muscle that can be injured.

I went to the doctor because I had a moderate pain right in the middle of my sternum whenever I did squats, deadlifts, or bentover rows. After a while, it began to occur even when I did bench press and most other exercises. It even began to hurt when I walked, supporting any amount of weight, say a backpack full of school books. It felt about like somebody was taking a knuckle and pressing it fairly hard against my sternum. I experienced no heartburn or reflux of any kind. A later doctor told me that he didn't think I had one and that the pain was most likely from damaged connective tissue where my pecs attach to the sternum. I don't know what is the truth. I still have this pain 12 years later, thankfully not as severe.

So, to answer the question, I think this is entirely possible.

As I've gotten older and picked up a few of these issues/injuries along the way (some of which I suppose I'll have forever), I've developed the opinion that activities such as powerlifting, olympic-style weightlifting, rough martial arts like judo, etc, are just plain unwise. Most of these activities are just temporary hobbies in folks' lives, but the consequences last forever. If I had it to do over, I would've spent my time exercising in ways that are less likely to result in permanent injury. I think about my buddy, our superheavyweight lifter who walks with a cane now. Gee, those 800 lb squats, 12 years ago, were worth it. I also think about my two buddies who took the juice and are sterile now, although I guess nobody knows for sure if this is why. Gotta think long term, but that's not common among 16-24 year olds, in my experience. Sorry for the rant.

DBD

Last edited by DBradD; 10-24-2005 at 17:08..
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 20:02   #4
California Jack

Quote:
I also think about my two buddies who took the juice and are sterile now,
Hmmm. juicers, gene pool......... Darwinism? ;a ;f
Old 10-24-2005, 23:22   #5
B_Easy

Quote:
Originally posted by California Jack
Hmmm. juicers, gene pool......... Darwinism? ;a ;f
There are dumb people everywhere. ;Q

At least the only person these ATHLETES are harming is themselves.

Let's not get into the "how many idiots drive cars" social darwinism debate.

The same could be said of guns but given the audience, and my own support for gun ownership, I'm not even gonna go there. ;f
Old 10-25-2005, 08:48   #6
Jimmey

Re: Re: heave lifting

Quote:
Originally posted by DBradD
From doing heavy squats, deadlifts, etc, you can develop a hiatal hernia. Sorry if I butchered the spelling. One of my doctors years ago told me that I had developed one during my old powerlifting days. I have no clue if he was right because I quit powerlifting about that time. My understanding is that there's a sphincter muscle where the esophagus intersects the diaphragm and this is the muscle that can be injured.

I went to the doctor because I had a moderate pain right in the middle of my sternum whenever I did squats, deadlifts, or bentover rows. After a while, it began to occur even when I did bench press and most other exercises. It even began to hurt when I walked, supporting any amount of weight, say a backpack full of school books. It felt about like somebody was taking a knuckle and pressing it fairly hard against my sternum. I experienced no heartburn or reflux of any kind. A later doctor told me that he didn't think I had one and that the pain was most likely from damaged connective tissue where my pecs attach to the sternum. I don't know what is the truth. I still have this pain 12 years later, thankfully not as severe.

So, to answer the question, I think this is entirely possible.

As I've gotten older and picked up a few of these issues/injuries along the way (some of which I suppose I'll have forever), I've developed the opinion that activities such as powerlifting, olympic-style weightlifting, rough martial arts like judo, etc, are just plain unwise. Most of these activities are just temporary hobbies in folks' lives, but the consequences last forever. If I had it to do over, I would've spent my time exercising in ways that are less likely to result in permanent injury. I think about my buddy, our superheavyweight lifter who walks with a cane now. Gee, those 800 lb squats, 12 years ago, were worth it. I also think about my two buddies who took the juice and are sterile now, although I guess nobody knows for sure if this is why. Gotta think long term, but that's not common among 16-24 year olds, in my experience. Sorry for the rant.

DBD
I heard for a RN that there can be no warning sign such as heartburn or acid reflux, I have a very wet mouth (body trying to flush the acid down, and post nasal drip. the RN stated the the cell in the esophageal will change and be thicker. They concern this cancer the cell will change to a tumor that may block the esophageal, that the only warning sign probably to late.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:12   #7
DBradD

Re: Re: Re: heave lifting

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmey
I heard for a RN that there can be no warning sign such as heartburn or acid reflux, I have a very wet mouth (body trying to flush the acid down, and post nasal drip. the RN stated the the cell in the esophageal will change and be thicker. They concern this cancer the cell will change to a tumor that may block the esophageal, that the only warning sign probably to late.
Go to a GI doctor. They can do tests for hiatal hernia. Not pleasant -- swallowing that stuff that allows x-ray to see it and probably others involving gloves and KY jelly :( to test for blood in yer krap.

I also heard about the cancer risk.

This is part of the reason that every other post I seem to put in here has something about "don't lift really heavy because the long-term risks ain't worth it"...

DBD

Last edited by DBradD; 10-25-2005 at 09:14..
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:11   #8
Jimmey

Re: Re: Re: Re: heave lifting

Quote:
Originally posted by DBradD
Go to a GI doctor. They can do tests for hiatal hernia. Not pleasant -- swallowing that stuff that allows x-ray to see it and probably others involving gloves and KY jelly :( to test for blood in yer krap.

I also heard about the cancer risk.

This is part of the reason that every other post I seem to put in here has something about "don't lift really heavy because the long-term risks ain't worth it"...

DBD
the tech at the babirem drop, stated that if weak muscle ,they put a bank around to correct the problem. Your correct not lift heave