Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2005, 22:18   #1
UtahIrishman
Silver Membership
BLR

Belts for lifting

I have a question about weight lifting belts. When I do heavy bench presses I notice the small of my back lifts some and it will hurt a bit. The pain doesn't last long but I am wondering if a weight lifting belt would help. When I do multiple reps at lower weight I don't have the problem.

Suggestions on what type of belt would help? or would it? or should I just lift less and work up slower?

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 02:20   #2
BCR
BIGASS!!!!

Not sure if a belt will help, but it might. I personally don't feel any lower back pain when benching.

A belt stabilizes the lower back by squashing/holding all your internals together, and supporting the spine as well.

I have seen many pics in magazines of guys benching with their belts on. Not sure if they just don't bother to take them off, or if they really help.

Hopefully someone else has better info than me.

I use a nice Cardillo belt, not some cheap flimsy crap.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
BCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 21:34   #3
ateamer
NRA4EVR

What are you doing for your back? Deadlifts, stifflegged deadlifts, rack pulls, squats, hypers, bent rows?

If you aren't doing back work, or at least the major exercises (squat, deadlift), no wonder it hurts.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 21:05   #4
UtahIrishman
Silver Membership
BLR

Quote:
Originally posted by ateamer
What are you doing for your back? Deadlifts, stifflegged deadlifts, rack pulls, squats, hypers, bent rows?

If you aren't doing back work, or at least the major exercises (squat, deadlift), no wonder it hurts.
I do rack pulls and I was doing squats for a while but injured a calf muscle and haven't gone back to them since the injury. Probably should that might help.

----
Old 10-21-2005, 23:27   #5
DBradD

You didn't provide enough info about your bench press form. Do you arch your back a lot? Do you lift your butt off the bench like so many folks do? Coming from a powerlifting background, I keep my back heinously arched, but do not lift my butt off the bench, and feel no back pain. No two people are the same, though. Perhaps you should do a set or two of hyperextensions and some back stretching as a warmup before bench to see if that makes it go away. Get somebody to watch you to see if you do anything weird, like twist or squirm to one side or another. People do this stuff a lot when benching and don't realize it because of a lack of a mirror. Let us know how it works out.

DBD
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:32   #6
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Good point. I forgot that so many people raise their butts, twist their torso and kick their feet.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:52   #7
UtahIrishman
Silver Membership
BLR

I keep my butt down but sometimes raise my feet without realizing it but plant them again as soon as I notice. I am arching my back some and that seems to be when the pain occurs. I don't think I'm twisting, but it's possible I suppose. There is a mirror but it's kind of hard to see yourself when your laying down

Next time I go to the gym I'll have someone watch my form and see what they say.

----
Old 10-22-2005, 21:44   #8
DBradD

Quote:
Originally posted by UtahIrishman
I keep my butt down but sometimes raise my feet without realizing it but plant them again as soon as I notice. I am arching my back some and that seems to be when the pain occurs. I don't think I'm twisting, but it's possible I suppose. There is a mirror but it's kind of hard to see yourself when your laying down

Next time I go to the gym I'll have someone watch my form and see what they say.
If you're not a powerlifter or otherwise going for maximum weights, you might try to put your feet on the bench, flattening-out your back. I've seen some awful big guys benching that way!

DBD
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote