Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-30-2005, 19:06   #1
PDogSniper

Resting a Steak...

Is it necessicary to rest a steak, like a T-bone or others....? Sometimes I think that right off of the grill and on to the plate, it don't make a difference then again I see some steaks come off of the grill and while the juices seem to be flowing there seems to be a dry taste/feeling to the steak....

What's up...?

Member NRA
Member GOA
PDogSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 19:22   #2
jawjaboy
Casual lead ho

Well PDog, the way I see it...as soon as I bring my, and mrs.jawja's steak into the house, I eat about half of mine immediately, standing at the bar. Then about 30 minutes later, I set down to the meal! Can't tell much difference in the steak..........no sauce.
Old 10-31-2005, 17:05   #3
noway

same here.

if it's a good steak I have been known to eat it right off the grill and battle the flames while doing it

No resting for me.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:45   #4
PDogSniper

Quote:
Originally posted by noway
same here.

if it's a good steak I have been known to eat it right off the grill and battle the flames while doing it

No resting for me.
Yea, me too. I just was cooking some steaks on the grill last night and after a few ;c's I got to thinking about this. I know, far fetched...

Member NRA
Member GOA
Old 11-01-2005, 14:00   #5
dubltap

Don't let your meatloaf.;f
Old 11-01-2005, 17:17   #6
PMY

For best results, YES!

Resting a steak after grilling (Or ideally, before grilling, after grilling, then baking and resting some more), will make your steak juicier and tastier. At the very least, you want to rest it about 5-8 minutes after grilling. You can't cut the steak before you rest it, otherwise all the juices that would have redistributed will just run out onto your plate.

Eating half then waiting half an hour and eating the rest will just get you a half a cold steak.
PMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 19:49   #7
lwt210

We rest ours for five minutes or so. We do the same with pork loin, chops, all that stuff.

I use the big tongs at the grill to keep from stabbing the meat. Got those at Williams Sonoma on clearance last year.

We can tell a difference if we let them rest. They are slightly juicier when given some "down time" after the 450 degree fire.
Old 11-03-2005, 20:47   #8
Sundog
Thread Killer

Alton Brown did an episode of Good Eats on steaks, and recommended resting the steaks 3 - 5 minutes, IIRC. I've never rested steaks any longer than it took to get them on the plate and the blessing said, but he says it makes them juicier. I think I've heard that they continue cooking for about that long after you remove them from the grill.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:43   #9
FlaChef
Steyroid

The concept of resting meats is to let the juices settle.
Remember a hot liquid is in an agitated state, as soon as you pierce it the juices will flow out. This includes sticking a thermometer in it or turninng it with a fork.

Any good restaurant will rest meats a couple of minutes before sending it out.

Next time you grill steaks cut one immediately and let one rest. The one you cut immediately will leak all its juice onto your plate, the rested one will appear to not be as juicy, but this is because it is not leaking its juice on your plate but keeping it in the tissue.
FlaChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 20:42   #10
PDogSniper

Gee, I guess it wasn't that far fetched a question after all. With all the responses here and just the other day I heard it mentioned on the Food Channel.

I've heard of it with roasts, but not with steaks... That's why I asked.

Member NRA
Member GOA
Old 11-04-2005, 22:43   #11
Remander

Resting meat is all about letting the melted fat (a/k/a "juices") inside the meat cool and get thicker so that it will not just run out as thin grease when you slice into the meat.

The food TV folks and cookbook authors don't like to say to "let the fat congeale" (sounds gross), so they use the euphamism of "let the juices settle."

It takes just a few minutes to accomplish a rest. Resting is more important for cuts with more inner fat (e.g., ribeye) than low-fat cuts (e.g., pork loin), but it helps makes all more moist.
Remander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 18:34   #12
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Resting isn't so much to allow the jiuces and fat to cool but to allow the meat fibers to relax and, thus, not squeeze all
the juices out.

The steak should still be served hot, which is why you should loosely tent the meat with foil while it is resting (although
you can skip this if you don't care).

To be honest, I think this whole process is maybe a 10%-15%
difference. If you have a beautifully marbled piece of meat it's not going to turn to shoe leather because it wasn't rested. Conversely you can rest a lousy cut all day and it
won't improve!

It's one of those "it might help why not?" type of things.

-Stooxie
stooxie is offline   Reply With Quote