GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-05-2005, 21:00   #1
lilslyk

I got my picture taken yesterday...at an intersection!

Yes, the red light cameras got me I'm afraid. For those in LA area you may recognize these streets.

I was on Florence going West on my way home from work. Coming up to I think Pioneer (probably Santa Fe Springs) I noticed traffic was backed up at the light for a block or so. I went to the right side of both lanes (there's kind of a 3rd lane that isn't marked) and pulled up to the stop light and waited at the red. As I sat there, a car came behind me with their turn signal on, so I decided I would pull forward and left out of their way so they could go right on red (I wasn't sure if you could or not, didn't think to check). As I pulled forward I heard a noise (kind of like a soft honk) and then the cameras flashed and clicked.

I'm pretty sure I tripped the sensor and it snapped the pic of me...but seeing as I only had my front wheel into the crosswalk and my feet were on the ground I don't think I am guilty of running the red light.

All in all, it kinda scared me for a few seconds until I realized they couldn't have gotten my lic. plate, and even if they did I wasn't really running the light.

Thought I'd share!
lilslyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:12   #2
Rosey

For the curious: around my area, those camera tickets are easily beaten.

It goes like this: ignore mail notice, ingore process server knocking at your door, ticket goes away.

There is actually a guy in my metro area who gets the names and addresses of all the people who get those tickets (it is public record) and mails them a flyer a few days after the ticket is received. For about a third the cost of the ticket he'll tell you a more detailed version of what I just told you.

The outfit is called Angel Enterprises. http://www.ci.scottsdale.az.us/photoradar/faq.asp#5
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 13:44   #3
gman32c

In my area, ignoring a ticket would result in a warrant for your arrest. How do you get away with just ignoring it?
gman32c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 14:09   #4
Rosey

Quote:
Originally posted by gman32c
In my area, ignoring a ticket would result in a warrant for your arrest. How do you get away with just ignoring it?
There was a precedent setting court ruling in AZ that notice by mail did not constitute a legal notice of a (traffic) violation unless the offender acknowleges it. If you respond to the mail notice, than you have acknowledged its receipt and a you have then been legally notified. If you don't respond, then they have to send a process server to complete a legal notice. If you are never served in person than the courts give up after a few months and discard the violation.

The language on the mailed notice is very misleading. They make all kinds of threats about default judgements, points on your license, license suspensions, warrants, etc. It's all BS to scare you into responding to the mailed noticed and in doing so, completing a legally binding notice.

I've read that something like 1/3 of all AZ camera tickets are discarded for lack of legal notice.

I should add that I'm somewhat conflicted on the issue of camera tickets. The red light cameras might have a proper place at some intersections with a reputation for danger. I don't think the radar operated speeding cameras are in the interest of public safety.
Old 11-09-2005, 19:29   #5
gman32c

That's very interesting. Thanks for the info, and I'm with you on the "speed control" cameras.
gman32c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 20:49   #6
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosey
For the curious: around my area, those camera tickets are easily beaten.

It goes like this: ignore mail notice, ingore process server knocking at your door, ticket goes away.

There is actually a guy in my metro area who gets the names and addresses of all the people who get those tickets (it is public record) and mails them a flyer a few days after the ticket is received. For about a third the cost of the ticket he'll tell you a more detailed version of what I just told you.

The outfit is called Angel Enterprises. http://www.ci.scottsdale.az.us/photoradar/faq.asp#5
Sort of like the "pay too much" trick to keep points off your record (although, not money in your wallet). I know that works as my brother has done it many times. They have gotten wise to the "re-schedule your court date and the cop doesn't show" trick, at least around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 23:53   #7
Rosey

Yeah, I've never used the "pay too much" trick but I've heard of it.

Sometimes ya gotta work the system instead of letting it work you.