Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:26   #1
BobRicks

Help with Linux

I am kicking around the idea of setting up a laptop with linux to try and learn about it, and have no idea where to start.

Could someone please set me straight on this issue? Do I just download a version of linux and do an install or what? Also, is there a GUI version of linux that would be easy for someone like me who has never tried linux?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Old 11-17-2005, 13:48   #2
got_the_bug

Hi Bob...

Yes, pick a Linux distribution of your choice, download the ISO images, burn CDs, and install by booting from the CDs. Are you planning to run Windows XP and Linux on the same laptop, or dedicate the entire laptop to Linux? If both operating systems are going to share the same disk, you'll want to install Windows XP first, and Linux later. There are ways of modifying existing partitions if you already have a single partition and XP installed, or, you can simply reformat and create new partitions (assuming we are talking about a single hard drive).

As far as GUIs go, you can usually choose whichever interface (GUI or text) you prefer to start in. Either way, it is easy to get from one to the other, assuming the correct packages are installed.

Here's a link to the Fedora ISOs...

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/4/i386/iso/

I'd recommend sticking with one of the main distributions (Fedora, Mandrake, etc.), as chances are they will have more driver support for whatever hardware is in your laptop.

P.S. The only ISOs you'd need from the link above are the disk1, 2, 3, and 4
got_the_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 13:55   #3
indigent
Bamboozled

There are a few Linux threads here. If you have specific questions PM member "Washington D.C." he is a wealth of information.
Old 11-17-2005, 21:33   #4
saber41

You might want to start with one of the many "live" distributions of linux. These run off of a cd so there is nothing to partition or install.
This way you will get to try linux without installing anything on your system (until you are ready... )

some live distros to try are:
knoppix
slax
pclinuxos
mepis
Old 11-18-2005, 07:16   #5
Washington,D.C.

Bob,after you try those two small CD's I told about you can try a full freatured Linux.The fastest most efficient is this one but doesn't work in all PC's or laptops.

It's big download 575Mb and it's a zip file.It must be unzipped then the CD iso image can be burned to CD(unzips to almost 700MB).It's a live CD with an installer.It's all English except the installer which is in Portugese.It's fairly automatic but not being able to read Portugese makes being familar with Linux installers helpful.Download it and keep it as it's one of the best Linux ever and will always come in handy.It's no longer supported and the server is not always working so get it while you can.Here it is,

ftp://litrix.codigolivre.org.br/pub/...rix-EX.iso.zip
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:34   #6
IDtheTarget

I personally would stay away from Fedora. It's pretty much a cutting-edge testing ground for RedHat, and I've seen several occasions where updates broke things that were working.

The two distros I use almost exclusively are:
knoppix which was mentioned earlier. It is a "live CD", which means that you just boot from the CD and you have linux available. It's based off of Debian and is stable, and you don't have to change anything on your laptop in order to use it.

The other is CentOS, which is a re-compile of RedHat Enterprise Linux. What with the problems that Novell is currently having, RedHat is arguably the front-runner as far as enterprise linux goes. CentOS takes their source code, removes the trademark stuff, then re-compiles it. (Yes, it's legal, no it's not piracy. )

I've run CentOS on a laptop very successfully, and currently run my home server with it as well.

If you decide to go with it and need help, just let me know.
IDtheTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:45   #7
Washington,D.C.

Bob's laptop is a Pentium II with 128MB of RAM so have to consider the size of everything.The iso I mentioned is the only one I've tried that has a full KDE desktop,Open Office and Java and still runs at a decent speed on older slower PC's with a min of RAM.It doesn't have drivers for really new motherboards and it doesn't always boot on older PC's and it doesn't alwats reconize certain hard drives,but when it does,it's the absolute fastest full desktop Linux I've used.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:15   #8
IDtheTarget

Good point, my laptop was pretty beefy.
Old 11-18-2005, 15:54   #9
saber41

Quote:
Originally posted by IDtheTarget
I've run CentOS on a laptop very successfully, and currently run my home server with it as well.
IDtheTarget,

just curious...
are there any apt/yum repos for CentOS or do you do updates exclusively through the Red Hat Network ??
Old 11-18-2005, 16:14   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
I personally would stay away from Fedora. It's pretty much a cutting-edge testing ground for RedHat, and I've seen several occasions where updates broke things that were working.

The two distros I use almost exclusively are:
knoppix which was mentioned earlier. It is a "live CD", which means that you just boot from the CD and you have linux available. It's based off of Debian and is stable, and you don't have to change anything on your laptop in order to use it.

The other is CentOS, which is a re-compile of RedHat Enterprise Linux. What with the problems that Novell is currently having, RedHat is arguably the front-runner as far as enterprise linux goes. CentOS takes their source code, removes the trademark stuff, then re-compiles it. (Yes, it's legal, no it's not piracy. )

If you decide to go with it and need help, just let me know.

Anywhere you can get instructions in English?

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 16:18   #11
Washington,D.C.

I believe Redhat only allows access to the SRPM's not the binary RPM's.That's just source I think CentOS converts them to useable RPM's.I seem to remember this with White Box Linux.

CentOS download page here,

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinyco...ndex.php?id=13
Old 11-18-2005, 16:54   #12
IDtheTarget

Quote:
Originally posted by saber41
IDtheTarget,

just curious...
are there any apt/yum repos for CentOS or do you do updates exclusively through the Red Hat Network ??
Yeah, CentOS 4 comes pre-configured with yum repos. All ya gotta do is yum -y update every so often (or in a cron job) and you're golden.

The best (IMHO) yum repo with a bunch of RHEL/CentOS stuff is Dag Wieer's repo. Look here for directions: http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B

scroll down to the yum section.

Anything that's RedHat is compatible with CentOS. They're the same distro, just that CentOS has taken the source and re-compiled it.
Old 11-18-2005, 17:34   #13
prism
more ammo

here is some info on two small linux choices. they might be good choices for older PC systems. you can burn a live cd, or buy one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_Small_Linux

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux
Explosives were used because officials believed the whale was too large to shoot. /// "that's celebratory gunfire." /// It began, as it so often does, with a drum circle. /// "The Land that Caturday Forgot"
prism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:37   #14
saber41

Quote:
Yeah, CentOS 4 comes pre-configured with yum repos. All ya gotta do is yum -y update every so often (or in a cron job) and you're golden.
Thanks for the info !!
Old 11-19-2005, 18:49   #15
Washington,D.C.

Here's a couple of smallish ones with maybe better video and laptop support.

http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/benix...-2005-02.1.iso

http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/cpx-m...CPX-MINI-4.iso
Old 11-20-2005, 18:34   #16
Washington,D.C.

Kanotix just gor better but this is a fairly large version.It's very easy to try it though.

http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanot...-LITE-RC17.iso
Old 11-20-2005, 18:39   #17
Washington,D.C.

Here's a small simple Linux that may work.

http://download.watsky.net/BeatrIX_2005.1F.iso
Old 11-22-2005, 10:11   #18
Washington,D.C.

Here are some of the easiest to install.

Mepis

ftp://ftp.wustl.edu/pub/linux/distri..._3.4-1.rc1.iso

PCLinuxOS

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distr...inuxos-p92.iso

Kanotix

http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanot...-LITE-RC17.iso

Knoppix

ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppi...5-09-23-EN.iso

Damn Small Linux

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/d...nt/dsl-2.0.iso

CPX-Mini

http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/cpx-m...CPX-MINI-4.iso

CPX-Mini is one of my favorite if it works on your hardware it's small but fairly complete.

Last edited by Washington,D.C.; 11-22-2005 at 19:50..