SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2005, 17:02   #1
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Test ride report on Ducati Monster S2R 1000

This is the DEFINITIVE Monster!!! The engine has a lot of low end grunt. It's much more suitable for this chassis and type of bike than the 996 engine in the S4R which is too high strung. Too bad the bike is geared too high (as are most bikes nowadays). The suspension is very well damped even for a 210-lbs dude like me. Very flickable and light. I'm short and I can nearly flat foot it. Tres cool!!! Heavy clutch like a typical Duck but nice feel and engages quickly without slop. Good, positive feel on the gear lever. Brake is better than the old S2R 800, but not too progressive with the feel. Takes a lot of effort too. Rear brake is adequate but nothing to rave about. Vibrations aren't bad. And you can actually see out the rear view mirrors!!! What? A Duck with usable rear view mirror? What's next?

I like it. I like it more than the Speed Triple which says a lot.;P
Old 11-19-2005, 18:26   #2
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

I will own a naked hooligan bike by next April.
My short list:
Ducati Monster 1000
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM Super Duke 990
Old 11-19-2005, 19:17   #3
shamster
1911 Shooter

Send a message via ICQ to shamster Send a message via AIM to shamster
I demo'd the bike today as well. I agree that the low end torque is definitely there...that's the first thing I noticed.

My only gripe about it is the front felt unstable when taking curves somewhat quickly. I don't know if it's the way the suspension was set up on that particular bike, or if I'm just too used to my Honda CBR600RR, but that's the only thing that took some getting used to on my part.
shamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 21:42   #4
shamster
1911 Shooter

Here is me prior to taking off for the test ride...

Moto Club
Old 11-21-2005, 11:10   #5
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The front end is a bit low sprung, but remember that it's a sporty street bike and not a corner carver.

The bike is well balanced for its design and purpose, and that's why I like it.
Old 11-21-2005, 15:13   #6
shamster
1911 Shooter

That is true...I was riding it like I normally do on my CBR (maybe a bit more cautious since it's an unfamiliar bike to me), so that is probably why I noticed the softer front. But I agree, for day to day fun riding, it is great.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:03   #7
BikerRN

Send a message via AIM to BikerRN
When I went to pick up Evangelina I was talking to the dealer about the Monster. It seems that that Ducati NA didn't get the new Monster to them in time for the demo. He said he had a bunch of "ticked' off people that wanted to ride, but no bike. They also didn't have food and all the freebies that go with something like this.

Right now they are prepping the new Monster and then will be letting people take test rides any day of the week. He has a list of names of people who get to ride first. I didn't even bother to put my name on the list because I had riding something that ain't mine.

I'm waiting for the Sport Classics. They look kewl! Dealer said he should have one in by next week.
BikerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 18:47   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Before you ride the Sport Classic, do some back exercises. Jesus, I could barely bent over to reach for the clipons!;P
Old 11-26-2005, 17:01   #9
c5367
Esq.

Send a message via AIM to c5367
Quote:
Originally posted by BikerRN
When I went to pick up Evangelina I was talking to the dealer about the Monster. It seems that that Ducati NA didn't get the new Monster to them in time for the demo. He said he had a bunch of "ticked' off people that wanted to ride, but no bike. They also didn't have food and all the freebies that go with something like this.

Right now they are prepping the new Monster and then will be letting people take test rides any day of the week. He has a list of names of people who get to ride first. I didn't even bother to put my name on the list because I had riding something that ain't mine.

I'm waiting for the Sport Classics. They look kewl! Dealer said he should have one in by next week.
The Sport Classics are really cool, especially in person. My dealer has the Paul Smart 1000LE sitting in the showroom.
Old 11-26-2005, 17:05   #10
c5367
Esq.

Send a message via AIM to c5367
Re: Test ride report on Ducati Monster S2R 1000

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
This is the DEFINITIVE Monster!!! The engine has a lot of low end grunt. It's much more suitable for this chassis and type of bike than the 996 engine in the S4R which is too high strung. Too bad the bike is geared too high (as are most bikes nowadays). The suspension is very well damped even for a 210-lbs dude like me. Very flickable and light. I'm short and I can nearly flat foot it. Tres cool!!! Heavy clutch like a typical Duck but nice feel and engages quickly without slop. Good, positive feel on the gear lever. Brake is better than the old S2R 800, but not too progressive with the feel. Takes a lot of effort too. Rear brake is adequate but nothing to rave about. Vibrations aren't bad. And you can actually see out the rear view mirrors!!! What? A Duck with usable rear view mirror? What's next?

I like it. I like it more than the Speed Triple which says a lot.;P

Most Ducs are geared silly-tall because of the European requirements. For the S2R 1000, its an easy and cheap fix. Just switch out the 15t countershaft sprocket for a 14t, and you're good to go. Takes all of 30 minutes, and the new sprocket os less than $20.