Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-28-2005, 14:19   #1
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

The official "Gainesville GlockTalkers Group" thread

As those of you who have received emails already know, we're trying to organize the Gainesville area GlockTalkers (as there seems to be quite a few of us) for the purposes of getting together for some shooting, perhaps grabbing a bite to eat occasionally, making some new friends, lending a hand with firearm related stuff whenever necessary, and even having a group of people to contact first when buying, selling, or trading a firearm for a nice easy local deal without the hassles of shipping or FFL's.

Thus far, this is the list of people who have responded saying they would like to be a part of this and be notified whenever we plan to organize an event of any kind or just plan on buying or selling a firearm and want to see if any of the group members would like to buy, sell, or trade also.

Member List

Norman [Email/Phone]
El Duderino
Historian
Krom
CYoung [Email]
EZFly80 [Phone]
NJL
GunnyBob
Dave1899 [Email]
Glockmeister40
orangedawg19
Dalton Wayne [Phone/Email]

Later this week, I will be sending PM's to everyone requesting the best email and/or phone number at which to be reached. You can send me both, one or the other, or none and just keep tabs on this thread, as this will be the place to post anything related with the aforementioned purposes of the group.

As for organizing events, that will likely happen through PM's, phone calls, and this thread. But if you're looking for a local deal on a firearm and want to see if others in the group have or want that firearm, you can notify me and I will PM the group for you. I'm not sure as of right now if posting an ad for a firearm on the Florida Glockers Club will be permitted by the moderators, so to play it safe we can go the PM route. I will always forward the info to the group; believe me I do NOT have the budget to snatch up any firearms, and even if I did and am personally interested in something, I will still notify everyone of the deal first. It's just the right thing to do and that's what shall be done.

If you know of other GlockTalkers who live in or right around the Gainesville area, or you came upon this thread and would also like to be a part of the group, please PM me and I will update the member list and this thread as I receive that information. I will also list by your name on the member list whether I have your Email and/or Phone, such as I have done with my name.

Looking forward to meeting all of the Gainesville GlockTalkers Group.

Last edited by Norman; 03-10-2006 at 12:36..
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 21:17   #2
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

PM updates were sent today (12/9/05) requesting phone and/or email contact info to the member list above plus one more who may be a Gainesville resident. NJL's mailbox was full, but I posted in General Glocking (which worked last time) letting him know.

I will update the member list saying I have phone and/or email (not the actual contact info out there for all to see) for each specific member as I hear back from everyone.

If you have any questions, comments, good news, good jokes, stuff to sell, etc for the group... let me know or just post in this thread. Let's keep the local firearms deals to PM's just in case moderators would rather we not post on that here in the State Clubs.

Norman

Edited to add: NJL has also been updated now.

Last edited by Norman; 12-09-2005 at 21:24..
Old 12-09-2005, 22:15   #3
EZFLY80

About that gun show you mentioned in your PM, I went last year and it wasnt very good. Pretty small room with not necessarily the best of prices either. I'll probably skip it.

Last edited by EZFLY80; 12-11-2005 at 15:21..
EZFLY80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:23   #4
Cyoung
Glockite

Hi all!

Norman - I could not respond to your PM because your box is full. You can e-mail me at caloos2000 at yahoo.com.

EZFLY80 - I agree, the gun show is not real big, but I am just happy to have any gun shows in town again! I am working with the gun show folks to find a bigger and cheaper place to hold the shows. Any suggestions? The Fairgrounds are pretty much out thanks to the Alachua County Commision folks. Grr.
Old 12-15-2005, 18:51   #5
EZFLY80

I thought I would mention, im sure most of you already have your carry permits but if you need to get yours or you know someone who needs to, let me know. I try to teach a class as often as possible so let me know. Ken 561-262-7682
EZFLY80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:17   #6
njl

Other than myself, Historian, and CYoung, are any of you GTRI members? If not, where and how often do you shoot?

I like to shoot every weekend, but I don't always get to. When my schedule allows, I also do the Wednesday night matches at Beckwiths, but I'm probably about to take an extended break from those due to scheduling issues.

I'm hoping to get out to GTRI this afternoon if its not entirely under water. After about 24h of rain, the water retention pond near me is up about 18".
Old 12-19-2005, 23:03   #7
krom

Send a message via ICQ to krom Send a message via AIM to krom Send a message via Yahoo to krom
I'm a GTRI member too and Iíve been going out to the range at least once a week as well since I took a class with Det. Alan Gray in July.
I participated in the Bill Jeans defensive handgun (I & II) classes recently and I look forward to the next time Bill comes to town. I plan to be out at the range as much as my schedule permits practicing what I learned in those classes.
At least till I get my 2,500 repetitions in ;g
Old 12-21-2005, 23:45   #8
Dave1899
NRA For Life

I'd like to get together with some locals for what ever... Drop me a line...

Last edited by Dave1899; 12-21-2005 at 23:48..
Dave1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 21:48   #9
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

David, I added you to our list. When we decide to work the details up and get together for a shoot at GTRI, I'll make sure everyone on the list is informed. Thanks, and stay safe!

P.S.- I'll be at GTRI on Saturday morning taking Alan Gray's course.
Old 01-04-2006, 21:54   #10
Dave1899
NRA For Life

Norman,

I've never been to GTRI. What's it like?

David
Dave1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 22:15   #11
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

Some of the members of our group are founding members and would be better prepared to answer that question. I'll let them respond.
Old 01-04-2006, 23:09   #12
njl

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave1899
Norman,

I've never been to GTRI. What's it like?

David
3 ranges. Range A (100yd rifle...marked off to 100yds...probably actually goes to 110 or 120). Occasionally, a steel gong is setup out at 100yds, but we broke it at the Memorial Day shoot. I haven't heard yet if it's been fixed. Other than that, A is cardboard/paper targets.

Range B (25yd handgun/rifle, cardboard/paper targets).

Range C (my favorite) is 25yd handgun calibers only. All sorts of steel (2 6-plate racks, a Texas star, 2 steel silouhettes, 2 stationary steel plates, and a dueling tree). You have to be a life member or have gone through the RSO course (or be accomanied by one of those) to shoot on C...mostly due to the added liability of shooting at steel.

We also have a large supply of bowling pins on hand that I helped procure for GTRI...but we've yet to come up with suitable tables for them, portable enough to easily setup and move out of the way, and weather proof...since they'd likely have to live outdoors.

GTRI is almost always surprisingly underutilized when I'm there. Often, I'll have range C to myself.

Edited to add: What GTRI is like depends a lot on the season. Being outdoors, in the summer, the heat can be brutal (the mosquitos and flies too), and in the winter it can be cold enough that my hands get numb. What I like about it though is it's cleaner than any indoor range I've ever seen since it's well ventilated (open air) and hosed down from time to time (rain).

Also, wear real shoes or boots...not flip flops or sandals. There are ants and I've seen scorpions twice.

Last edited by njl; 01-04-2006 at 23:15..
njl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 17:59   #13
GunnyBob
Retired E-8

PM'd you, Norman.

Bob
GunnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 20:10   #14
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

;d
Old 01-28-2006, 21:43   #15
GunnyBob
Retired E-8

Get the CWP yet, Norman?
GunnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:10   #16
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

They cashed my check two days ago. Hope to see it here sometime this week. I'm like a kid on christmas morning at the mailbox, hoping to see if Santa brought me the goodies.
Old 01-31-2006, 22:04   #17
Glockmeister40
OAF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockmeister40
Fellow gainesville Glocker here

I am also from the Gainesville area and a member of GTRI that place is a nice range. I just love range C It is loaded with steel reactive targets. Wonder if we could get a GSSF sanctioned match out there ? I believe that Gateway is not going to do it this year. and I know there are a lot of Glock shooting enthusiasts in the area.
Old 01-31-2006, 22:40   #18
njl

Re: Fellow gainesville Glocker here

Quote:
Originally posted by Glockmeister40
I am also from the Gainesville area and a member of GTRI that place is a nice range. I just love range C It is loaded with steel reactive targets. Wonder if we could get a GSSF sanctioned match out there ? I believe that Gateway is not going to do it this year. and I know there are a lot of Glock shooting enthusiasts in the area.
There are, and Gateway/GSSF did cancel the JAX match.

I'd LOVE to see a match in Gainesville, but I don't think it's possible. GTRI just isn't big enough. If GSSF took over the entire range for the weekend, they could fit, at most, 2 stages on C and 2 on B, and probably just 2, maybe 3 on A (more if they shot into A's side berms...but I suspect that wouldn't be permitted).

A typical Orlando or JAX GSSF match has more setups than that. Then there's the parking. GTRI just doesn't have enough to accomodate a match that could have >100 competitors. Then there are all the non-GSSF GTRI members who'd probably not be thrilled about an event occupying the entire range all weekend. At JAX and Orlando, those ranges are big enough that the GSSF match doesn't totally take the place over. At least I know it didn't at Gateway.

The old Beckwiths range (now Micanopy Shooting Sports?) has been talking about setting up a regular GSL event as soon as they get their FFL and can move forward with the paperwork. I haven't checked in with them for a few months, so I don't know if that's already happened.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:58   #19
orangedawg19

Im only 18 and attend UF, but I would love to maybe go to some shoots with you guys if legally possible of course, or discuss guns, be in the loop for sales and what not. Been shooting for a year, but did skeet for a while before that. Trained by an NRA certified instructor, so I've got the basics down and soon I'm going to go back to the guy and go for some advanced lessons. I'm getting my Glock soon, still up in the air between a g19 or a g38, but soon Ill be a real GTer!

Anyways, Im glad theres a Gainesville firearms club goin on, thought I was the only one around here. If anyones got a g30, maybe they could let me hold it or something? Im still thinking about a g30, but seeing if grip size will be an issue, as I forgot what it felt like the last time I held one.

Take it easy guys, glad to see Gainesville representing here. Later.
orangedawg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:39   #20
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I live in Ocala, is that close enough to Gainsville,
I would like to be part of the club
Dalton Wayne

Last edited by Dalton Wayne; 10-20-2006 at 18:42..
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote