SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:28   #1
ThinkOfTheChildren
C.E. Moderator

Buying parts vs buying a whole unit

I'm looking to get a new PC and when I price the individual parts I would want to use to build it, I can't get anywhere near as cheap as complete units are being sold by places like BestBuy. I had always thought that it was cheaper to build your own but I just can't find a way to build what I want for any cheaper than buying a complete PC.

Could someone clue me in here? Am I overlooking some glaring difference? I'd assume that a Gateway unit from BestBuy wouldn't have as nice of a power-supply or other parts as I might buy myself, but c'mon, it seems like they can sell a tower for cheaper than it would be for me to just buy the motherboard and CPU, much less anything else that goes in.
BladeRunner #1 -- Niner #14
ThinkOfTheChildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:39   #2
Dandapani

You can't buy parts cheaper than the large manufacturers.

What you can do is build a BETTER system than they can.
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:13   #3
pyblood

It all depends on what you want to do with your computer. If someone tells me that they just want an internet PC, I tell them to go to Best Buy, or call Dell. If they want a gaming PC, I tell them that a custom PC is better and cheaper. High end gaming computers from companies like Dell are more expensive than just building your own. A lot of times gamers like to change and add a lot of stuff to their computers. With OEM computers you run into a lot of proprietary parts that you canít upgrade or change.

I built all of my computers from scratch even my wifeís PC. I like the fact that I can change out any parts at any given time without any problems. I also like that I can overclock if I want to. I just think that there is more freedom with custom built PCs.

Last edited by pyblood; 11-29-2005 at 09:17..
pyblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:26   #4
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

I have had good luck with www.ibuypower.com Thier stuff is pretty cheap and alwayy scores well in magazine comparisons. Not to mention they actually give you the option of a pre-formatted HD so you can install your own OS and drivers, plus it saves you a couple hundred dollars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:54   #5
ThinkOfTheChildren
C.E. Moderator

Ok, well then maybe you guys can give me advice.

I'm looking to buy a new PC that will be great technology but will probably never play a game the whole time I have it. It will surf the net, use graphic editing programs like Photoshop, view/edit all types of multimedia, etc etc. So I want a good processor, lots of RAM, and as much HDD space as possible, but I really could care less about things like the video card.

I just want great performance for running tons of apps at the same time in a Windows environment.

So where does that leave me?

It seems like it would be cheapest to buy a premade unit from BestBuy and then simply add RAM and extra HDD down the road, no?

For the uses I describe, would you recommend purchasing all the parts separate instead? I've built a PC before (the one I'm using currently) I just can't decide if it's the right thing to do with a new one.
BladeRunner #1 -- Niner #14
ThinkOfTheChildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 13:37   #6
Bronson7

I built my first computer about two years ago and it's going strong. I'm in the process of building one for my parents and although they know they can buy one cheaper at Wally World, Best Buy, etc. they're having me do it anyway because they know it will be a quality rig with a better warranty and "next door" 24/7 service. Much of the frustration factor is eliminated due to no proprietary components in the one I'll build. No going to Dell, HP, Emachine etc. to buy parts. Any thing I may need in the future can be had at one of the good supply houses ie NewEgg or ZipZoomFly. In addition, no "Bloat Ware" that can, and often does, cause slow downs and malfunctions. Every, I repeat, evey commercially avalable pc I've seen, runs poorly against a well desined homebuilt of similar specs. And, last but not least, the satisfaction, wow factor, and knowledge gained by building one, in itself, makes it all worthwhile. Can you build a quality rig for less than the commercial biggies? I'll say no, but the pluses for me are stacked next to the rig I build.
Bronson7
Bronson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 15:35   #7
David_G17
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally posted by ThinkOfTheChildren

I just want great performance for running tons of apps at the same time in a Windows environment.

So where does that leave me?
anything with a dual core CPU.
"We need the strong gun regs and enforcement Europe has."
-DU debates America's future 10/23/2005
David_G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 16:18   #8
AS45-70

For your needs thats an easy PC to build your self if you have the know how.

I wont buy a prebuilt ever again, its just easier for me to build a PC for whatever the fuction it will preform. I know the parts going into it are better than the crap you get from a prebuilt unless you spec it out and then your paying way more than you need to.

i say build one yourself or buy one if you have not built a PC b 4.

AS
AS45-70 is offline   Reply With Quote