Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:08   #1
racine

Bog

Was this forum created in the states or in the PI??? If it started here stateside, why is it allowed to become cryptic to everyone else besides Filipinos? What I mean is why use local dialects exlcusively to the puzzlement of all the other glockers. We would like to see how things are done elsewhere but please avoid the exclusion of the majority who are members also. If it was created in the PI then it should be exclusively in Tagalog or all the other dialects. We are all part of one family-glock. Is it too much to ask that we communicate in one common language? Feel free to enlighten me...
racine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 13:10   #2
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

Greetings!

This is the subforum heading

Quote:
Band of Glockers
Forum for Glock Talk Members of Filipino, Filipino/American, or any nationality that would like to talk about Glocks, Shooting, and all related topics. This forum is based on an informal club that has sprung up, in the Philippines
Regarding the use of foreign language, you might be interested in this thread which has been made a sticky. Although the issue has not been resolved to its full conclusion, self moderation is being practiced in the interim.

As much as possible we do try to post in straight English but we do get carried away at times and post in Filipino for full effect as some things like local humor and punchlines lose their impact when translated.

If you need a translation on any of the discussions/posts in this subforum feel free to ask away, any of the BOGs would be more than happy to oblige. Cheers
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
doctabako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 23:43   #3
revo

Re: Bog

Quote:
Originally posted by racine
Was this forum created in the states or in the PI??? If it started here stateside, why is it allowed to become cryptic to everyone else besides Filipinos? What I mean is why use local dialects exlcusively to the puzzlement of all the other glockers. We would like to see how things are done elsewhere but please avoid the exclusion of the majority who are members also. If it was created in the PI then it should be exclusively in Tagalog or all the other dialects. We are all part of one family-glock. Is it too much to ask that we communicate in one common language? Feel free to enlighten me...
My friend,

The Philippines is no longer called 'PI' - Philippine Islands.

That was the name during the American colonial regime which ended in June 12, 1946.

Since then, we have been called RP - Republika ng Pilipinas.

Also, Tagalog is not a mere dialect, it is a full-fledged and distinct language, like Ilonggo, Cebuano and Ilokano.

Be accurate in your postings.

Maybe you will be taken seriously.
revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 00:19   #4
racine

"...The Philippines is no longer called 'PI' - Philippine Islands.
That was the name during the American colonial regime which ended in June 12, 1946.
Since then, we have been called RP - Republika ng Pilipinas.
Also, Tagalog is not a mere dialect, it is a full-fledged and distinct language, like Ilonggo, Cebuano and Ilokano.
Maybe you will be taken seriously..."

"My friend,"
I no longer reside in the Islands. I reside here in the USA, Estados Unidos, you know, America? Many stateside expats from the " PI " still refer to the RP as the PI. RP also stands for the ... Republic of the Philippines. And yes, Tagalog is NOT a dialect but all the others ARE(exlcude Spanish, English, Latin). Why are you arguing semantics? I posted here to try and emphasize on our similarities, NOT our differences in geography. If you understood the intent of my post maybe I can take YOU seriously... BTW, you can put your historical answer somewhere else, it's not the solution to the question. Is that accurate enough for you?
;b
Old 12-03-2005, 00:47   #5
horge
Lifetime Membership
-=-=-=-=-

Hi racine,

Welcome to the BoG!
DocT has already posted, but I'll try to reiterate:

A forum set aside for Filipinos and Filipino Americans by its existence creates
a distinction between those with a familiarity with Filipino culture, and those without.
Since English cannot always serve the nuances of Filipino culture, sentiment and humor,
it simply cannot be avoided that Tagalog/Filipino sees substantial use here.

It's worked before (although with all the old threads purged you may be unaware of it),
so if you or any non-Filipino speaker wants a translation, then just ask.
BoGs are happy to oblige.

DocT's already pointed to that sticky thread.

If you're calling attention to too little English-use, then thanks for the heads-up.
If you're looking to re-open an unproductive debate, well...
not my thing anymore.

-BoG Hog #12
-Model 1911 Club member #111
horge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 00:49   #6
Eye Cutter

Revo:

Quote:
My friend,

The Philippines is no longer called 'PI' - Philippine Islands. Also, Tagalog is not a mere dialect, it is a full-pledged and distinct language, like Ilonggo, Cebuano and Ilokano.
jeeez! are we going to start on this "PI" thing again?

Quote:
That was the name during the American colonial regime which ended in June 12, 1946. Since then, we have been called RP - Republika ng Pilipinas.
The USA granted Phil. independence on July 4, 1946, and not June 12, 1946, w/c is now celebrated as Philippine-American Friendship Day.

Quote:

Maybe you will be taken seriously
my, my... talk about posting accurately... we're really having a bad day, huh? come on, lighten up! not everybody is an Einstein!

Last edited by Eye Cutter; 12-03-2005 at 17:29..
Eye Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:14   #7
racine

Horge,
Thanks for the heads up. I can follow the lingo fine, I just think it sets a bad precedent for other glockers/non-BOGs to misconstrue and develop a misunderstanding from some posters as to the real nature of most of the BOGs. My only point is that we should post here to communicate, not to isolate.
Happy Holidays
Old 12-03-2005, 13:09   #8
Froggy_131
Bubblehead

Quote:
Originally posted by doctabako
As much as possible we do try to post in straight English but we do get carried away at times and post in Filipino for full effect as some things like local humor and punchlines lose their impact when translated.
In some cases, so the non-Pilipino speaking members wouldn't understand what you are posting, like the "Istorya ng isang ___" that was locked by Eric.

Quote:
If you need a translation on any of the discussions/posts in this subforum feel free to ask away, any of the BOGs would be more than happy to oblige. Cheers
On the other hand, if you post it in a Language that everyone understands, you don't have to translate it, do you? Hence not wasting bandwith from more posts trying to translate and explain the original post.... and less posts/threads of this nature.

Edited to add: I am fluent in Tagalog (or Pilipino, or whatever you call the language, some of your refer it to both). So, it doesn't matter, it's just if you got nothing to hide and you want the other 99% of this board to understand what you're talking about......

Last edited by Froggy_131; 12-03-2005 at 13:14..
Froggy_131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 14:11   #9
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by Froggy_131
In some cases, so the non-Pilipino speaking members wouldn't understand what you are posting, like the "Istorya ng isang ___" that was locked by Eric.
Well, locking that thread is the prerogative of this forums owner and that's that. The thread you were referring to was more of a political commentary on the state of our country(the Philippines) and was in no way a veiled attempt to hide something sinister. While some may find the language to be offensive as it was written in passionate prose, some would think that the essay was emotionally stirring and tugged at the root causes of the problems facing the nation today.

Quote:

On the other hand, if you post it in a Language that everyone understands, you don't have to translate it, do you? Hence not wasting bandwith from more posts trying to translate and explain the original post.... and less posts/threads of this nature.

Edited to add: I am fluent in Tagalog (or Pilipino, or whatever you call the language, some of your refer it to both). So, it doesn't matter, it's just if you got nothing to hide and you want the other 99% of this board to understand what you're talking about......
Until, the site's owner puts his foot down and bans the use of other languages altogether, the use of Filipino or Pilipino(the national language), Tagalog, Cebuano or Ilonggo will continue. As to wasting bandwidth, that's subjective, as I could think of a lot of things posted in other sections of this forum that falls into that category. Translating for someone really interested in learning something isn't too bad.

As Horge aptly stated, and I quote:

Quote:
a distinction between those with a familiarity with Filipino culture, and those without.
Since English cannot always serve the nuances of Filipino culture, sentiment and humor,
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
doctabako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 18:06   #10
racine

Quote:
Originally posted by doctabako
The thread you were referring to was more of a political commentary on the state of our country(the Philippines) and was in no way a veiled attempt to hide something sinister. While some may find the language to be offensive as it was written in passionate prose, some would think that the essay was emotionally stirring and tugged at the root causes of the problems facing the nation today.
Until, the site's owner puts his foot down and bans the use of other languages altogether, the use of Filipino or Pilipino(the national language), Tagalog, Cebuano or Ilonggo will continue.
As Horge aptly stated, and I quote:
This is NOT a political forum, never has been, never will be. It is a shooting forum dedicated to Glocks from the Philippine shores. Place your political woes on other forums. We don't discuss Republican or Democratic points of view here, that goes on the Political Issues forum. Posting in a foreign tongue can breed misunderstanding or worse suspicions, despite it's intentions. We would like to understand your points of view but we can't if it's cryptic. I hope this can be taken constructively as that is all it is meant to imply...
Old 12-03-2005, 19:06   #11
Froggy_131
Bubblehead

Quote:
Originally posted by racine
I hope this can be taken constructively as that is all it is meant to imply...
Is the Pope Protestant? Standby for incoming. Many people have requested and complained about this subject before but Eric seems to give his friends from across the ocean more leeway than any other groups here - if they are out of line, they get "asked" to clean it up. If other members are out of line, they get "told, warned and even banned". Just my observation!
Froggy_131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 20:40   #12
PMMA97
MNSAmessdetail

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain --- and most fools do.

---Benjamin Franklin
PMMA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 21:53   #13
i_am_infinity
Pang Altar

Guys in DocT's first post he already stated that it is "...A forum set aside for Filipinos and Filipino Americans..." but not limited to it, if there is something that you don't understand would it hurt to ask? i don't think so, and i don't find anything wrong with asking, which i do on other foreign forums. with all due respect, Hostility and personal attacks is not needed i believe that we can all co-exist and enjoy this forum without animosity and antagonistic attitudes.

Having said that Eric has been kind enough to allow the BOG to be what it is and in my humble opinion let's just all try to live with what it really is...

Thank you!!

BOG #6
i_am_infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 23:03   #14
antediluvianist

It's Eric's right to set the parameters , and he has done so. He permits the use of Pilipino. End of story.
Old 12-04-2005, 00:22   #15
vega

How is Washington State nowadays? I heard it's snowing.

vega
BOG #005
vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 00:42   #16
mikol

Quote:
Originally posted by vega
How is Washington State nowadays? I heard it's snowing.

vega
hi vega,
buti pa kayo mi snow dyaan, dito sa Saudi ang init parin kahit december na.
oppssss.... sori forgot that i have to speak in english pala.
you guys are so lucky back there 'coz you can play hockey in the snow during winter, here in KSA it's summer the whole year round. you can even cook eggs & hotdogs on the top of the hood of your car. ;g
mikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 00:48   #17
vega

I am in Cali, there's no snow where I am. I'm just asking one of the members who responded to this thread.

vega
BOG #005
vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:05   #18
mikol

Quote:
Originally posted by vega
I am in Cali, there's no snow where I am. I'm just asking one of the members who responded to this thread.

vega
opsss..sorry again my bad.;f
btw vega, there's alot of norinco FA models back there in Cali, have you tried firing their semi-auto shooties(M12-1Z model)?(sorry guys off topic ;f )
mikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:26   #19
toxic

Its pointless..inuman na lang tayo.

In other forum, what they did was ..there is an automatic translation botton for non-english speaking patron..( Erick Grauffels' french corner,Guga's Brazilain or italian or spanish(not sure) Sauls German and spanish translation.. what if we put up a poll ..perhaps Eric would do something just to prevent this never ending debate/argument or what-cha-ma-call-it.

For those who cant understand Filipino language or pretends not to understand the language just ignore the thread/club/forum ..Simple lang...thats what i do whenever i see a non English or non Filipino forum. I dont want my neurons to be reduced by trying to find out whats going on or to raise my Blood pressure to ask for translation.
i just think if it wasnt in english, the reason is the people or members of that particullar forum can relate and understand each other with their own language..BUT This is just my opinion.

Here read this again :
Band of Glockers
Old 12-04-2005, 01:38   #20
horge
Lifetime Membership
-=-=-=-=-

Hi Froggy_131, and hello again racine

I don't know why (or even if) we are the only unmoderated subforum on GT.
I don't know why (or even if) we are allowed more latitude with regard to topics.
I don't know why we are allowed to post in Pilipino
I especially don't know why the above have to be causes for concern.

I do know that we don't suffer by comparison to the other,
all-English, moderated GT subforums, when it comes to misconstrued intent
and interpersonal animosity, despite our frequent discussion
of 'sensitive' issues like politics and personal beliefs.

I do know we don't suffer by comparison to the other,
all-English, moderated GT subforums, when it comes to helping fellow
gunners out via information, advice or far more substantive gestures.

I do know that if Pilipino or Tagalog were banned, I would probably
just set up a new BoG website and forum that allowed it, not out of spite
(God, no!), but out of real need. It would be a sorry change though.

I do know that you, racine, understand Pilipino.
I do know that you, Froggy_131, understand Pilipino.
Ditto riddler, binLurking and nearly all who have made a debative, serious issue
of this 'linguistic barrier'.

A hypothetically-serious issue, that is.
Because in the past three years of lurking, then registering, then posting,
I can recall only 3 non-Pilipino speakers who had an actual problem of it.
They all asked for, and promptly got, translations of all
Pilipino posts in the pertinent threads, to their stated satisfaction.

As ante cuts quite cleanly:
Quote:
It's Eric's right to set the parameters, and he has done so. He permits the use of Pilipino. End of story.
I do hope to God someone doesn't yell out that GT is an American website,
because the last time I checked, the United States of America
hadn't banned non-English public communication.

Not even out of a hypothetical danger of exclusion, of miscontruances
or of some imagined engenderment of inequality.

I'd mentioned that this sort of 'discussion' is not my cuppa,
but am expressing respect for your volunteered sentiments
(and your valuable time spent posting) through a considered response.

A Merry Christmas to you and yours!

horge
-BoG Hog #12
-Model 1911 Club member #111

Last edited by horge; 12-04-2005 at 05:53..
horge is offline   Reply With Quote