Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-01-2005, 21:12   #1
bigbadglock

New Truck

Thinking of getting a new truck. Can't decide between a Ford Ranger and a Dodge Dakota. It has to be 4x4 and V6 or bigger. Tell me which one you think is better and why.

Thanks

Niners Club #1189, 40S&W Club #2389, Big Dawgs #3089
bigbadglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:15   #2
kawalerzysta

Ford Ranger is old proven design, along with Mazda B series. Me personally I would go with Dakota, or even better with Mitsubish Raider which is the same thing as Dakota. Thing to consider with Dakota is that Dodge is offering 2 years of free maintenance and 2 years of free gas. Mitsubishi offers only 1 year, but it is even better looking than Dakota.
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/06raider/
Old 12-02-2005, 17:47   #3
M1 SUPER 90
OIF 06-07

From all of the full size Dodges I have see, you will need the 2 years of free maint. ;f
M1 SUPER 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:27   #4
walkin' trails

I do not have any experience with the newer Dakotas, but have played with both the Ranger and Dakotas before they updated them again. The Ranger doesn't have much room inside, but neither does the Dakota. If you're over 5'10", the Ranger extended cab will allow the seat to go back farther and recline better than the Dakota extended cab will. Both ride rough with the 4X4 option. The 4.0 V-6 Ranger was easier to live with that the V-6 Dakota. Also take a look at Toyota and Nissan before you put any money down.
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 14:11   #5
Asha'man
eat the eat!

I'd get the Ranger.

Brian

I have no guns. Guns are bad. I know because the government told me so. The government knows ALL.
Asha'man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:07   #6
Maxthemutt

The Ranger is is good little truck. The motor has been around for a while now and is quite reliable. The interior is pretty roomy, only downside to me is not much headroom. I don't believe they have very good resale, which is good or bad depending on your view. They are not known for very good fuel economy, my biggest personal complaint about them.

I haven't worked on a Dakota in years, can't comment on them.
Maxthemutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 14:41   #7
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

I would personally get a used 2002-2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 with about 40,000 miles, give or take 5k, for around $13-15k depending on mileage and options.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:48   #8
mkoricic

Go with the ford all day long
mkoricic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:02   #9
pheonix

I am a big Ford fan. For 3 years I was in a bad lease with a Nissan and couldnt wait to get a Ford 4 door FX4 with the biggest engine I could get. After 6 months of looking at and pricing vehicles and options I am a proud owner of an 05 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab 4X4 with a Hemi! I would recommend the Dakoda, based on what I have learned over the past few months. either way you go call arround and see if you can find a demo car. It may have 4k miles on it but will knock 10k off the sticker.

Do some research here Dodge Forum
pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 14:36   #10
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Neither,

Get a Tacoma and have a truck for a large portion of the rest of your life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 17:52   #11
vart

Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
Neither,

+1000

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

"Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk"
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:45   #12
Glolt20-91

Toyota and Ranger p/us don't fit my 6' frame, Nisson and Dakotas do. I bought a Dodge 2500 4x4 with 6spd manual and HO Cummins while doing the full time RV thing for several years. It averages about 19.8mpg with best being over 22mpg. 4x4ing into the Doll House in Canyonlands NP, which is an all day trip with lots of low range; the fuel mileage dropped down to 16mpg. For very long trips with many hours behind the wheel; this is the most comfortable vehicle I've owned - including full sized Buicks.

Think of it as a big block 6 with a commercial rating.;a

Adios,
Bob

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 13:32   #13
DriBak
GUNS UP

I went with the new Frontier
Old 01-16-2006, 18:44   #14
spober

I HAD A 94 RANGER 4 CYLINDER 2 WHEEL DRIVE,I PUT 100,000 MILES + .VERY GOOD BASIC TRUCK.I HAVE OWNED MY DEKOTA 6 CYLINDER 4X4 5 SPEED CLUB CAB FOR 2 YEARS.MUCH MORE TRUCK BUT IVE HAD TO PUT 2 GRAND INTO THE REAR END AND RIGHT FRONT AXEL BARRING.OTHER THAN THAT THE DODGE IS MUCH MORE TRUCK INHO.
spober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 20:32   #15
spober

did over 6 years and 105,000 miles on a 94 ranger 4 banger,4 speed short bed.great little truck.my 98 dekota is a whole nother animal.club cab,V6 3.9, 4x4,LSD 3.55 gears,5 speed.going on 138,ooo miles and running strong.if you like the smaller ruck get the ranger.the dekota is the perfect mid size truck!
spober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 21:37   #16
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm not a Ford guy, but Ford builds a damn fine truck. I would, and hopefully before long will, make mine a full size Ford.

As for less than full size I lean towards Dakotas because they are, as others stated, closer to being a mid size than a compact. Rangers just look so...small.
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 21:54   #17
Old School

I have a 95 Ranger. Other than fluids/filters/tires in 11 years I've had to replace the fuel pump, clutch, battery and head liner. That's it. I'm on original brakes, muffler, plugs. Best vehicle buy I ever made, I'd have to recommend the Ranger.

I have a buddy with a Dakota. He swears by it, but the A/C went out shortly after warranty expired. He's spent over $1000 and still can't make it through the summer. He's given up. He also has problems with electronic door locks and window motors - which another friend had in a Jeep and I had with a Dodge Caravan. Something about Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth door hardware doesn't seem to be right.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:32   #18
TexasGlock23
Salty Collar

Send a message via AIM to TexasGlock23 Send a message via Yahoo to TexasGlock23
Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
Neither,

Werd, comming from a chevy man the "toys" are great. I would not get the ranger at all. Go dodge before furd!!!!!!! Dakota is roomier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G23-TFO's, Streamlight TLR-1, Tucker Tx Heritage IWB and a few other goodies.
G19-wifes
own a GM? visit us at customgm.com
TexasGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:41   #19
Ktmexperiment

Send a message via AIM to Ktmexperiment
Quote:
Originally posted by Glolt20-91
Toyota and Ranger p/us don't fit my 6' frame, Nisson and Dakotas do.

HUH?????

I've driven all 4 for extensive amounts of time, and I found the Dakota to be about the worst on room.

In answer to the original question.....

If you must decide between the two, I'd go with the Ranger. I don't even like Ford Rangers much, but I liked their V6 over the Dakota V6. My experience with one? My wife had the Ranger when we met, and my work partner drives a Dakota right now.
The Dakota is a piece of junk. It's handling is scary, the brakes are junk, and it doesn't have enough power to get out of it's own way. The Ranger seemed to be a little better in all areas.

NOW..............if it was me, I'd consider going for a Toyota.
They're proven motors, and they can take an absolute beating. Yes, they're a tad underpowered, but if you're not doing any serious towing (which I can't imagine you would with any V6), then they're just fine. They're also one of the best trucks on gas among all the other brands.

The Chevy 4.3 is probably the strongest of all the V6 trucks, but it will eat some gas. The Dodge is by far the worst on gas.

That's my 2 cents............and yes, I've had a good amount of experience with every truck mentioned. I've either owned one, or had one as a company vehicle.