Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-04-2005, 16:46   #1
SENEN_NIEVES

need help with computer?

I curently have a IBM 300PL computer: Pentuim III 533 mghz, 10 gig hard drive, 256 k ram, standard video card, 4x cdrom, I want a computer to play video games, search internet, and do some wordprosesing, what would be more cost effective, to upgrade current paltform or to buy a new system. ;g ;g ;c
Old 12-04-2005, 19:00   #2
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

Re: need help with computer?

Quote:
Originally posted by SENEN_NIEVES
I curently have a IBM 300PL computer: Pentuim III 533 mghz, 10 gig hard drive, 256 k ram, standard video card, 4x cdrom, I want a computer to play video games, search internet, and do some wordprosesing, what would be more cost effective, to upgrade current paltform or to buy a new system. ;g ;g ;c
I cannot address the video game issue, but for word processing and web surfing I think that you will not see any difference between your current hardware and a new 2 GHz PC with 1 or 2 GIG of RAM.

I use a 500 MHz with 256K RAM at home and a 2.0 GHz with 2 GIG RAM at work to do similar things. No difference.

Conservatives have faith in individuals; liberals put their faith in the government.
NRA_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 19:54   #3
pyblood

If you are going to play games, you are going to have to buy a new system. You canít really do much upgrading to that system to get it ready to play newer games. If you want to just do simple word processing or surfing the web, you should be OK. A little more RAM (like a total of 512MB) wouldnít be too bad of an idea.

If you want to get into gaming, I would recommend getting systems with an Athlon 64 processor, modern video card, at least 1GB or RAM, a DVD burner, at least 120GB HD, and a decent motherboard. It probably wonít cost as much as you would think.
pyblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 20:12   #4
jack19512

You definitely don't have a gaming machine. You would probably have to upgrade or replace just about everything. Build your own.
jack19512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:20   #5
HVAC-TEK

I hate to say it, but these days itís cheaper to buy a new system than upgrade an older one.

I recommend no less than 500MB of ram in any computer, and upgrade to a better video card.

Big name companies are selling systems to the public that are shipping with 200MB of ram. Grossly inadequate for modern systems.

Most systems these days use built in video cards. These cards are a part of the mother board. Although they work well, they are usually slower and less powerful than you realize. Also the Built in cards do not possess memory of their own, but steals what it needs from the system. For example you have 256MB of memory in your computer. The card uses 64MB of ram; you now only have 192MB of memory at your disposal.

An upgrade usually means they install a better video card using one of the computers slots. These have their own memory, and processors in them so intensive videos wont drain system resources.

These two upgrades will bump up the price a bit, but are really necessary as they will affect performance.

KIM
HVAC-TEK is offline   Reply With Quote