Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-07-2005, 18:18   #1
Django

BOGs Camera Bugs

For BOGs out there who are camera bugs, I need your advice.

I am reviving an old hobby, photography. Currently I have 2 SLRs, both Nikons, an N65 and an FE 10 and a couple of lenses but digital cameras seem to be the "in" thing today (and more convenient/user friendly/with better resolutions).

I am planning to purchase one this December. It should be good enough to produce nice pics (BOGs in action during a COF) and simple enough so that my wife can operate it too without hassles. Budget is capped at 25K since I have a family (and another major hobby which burns a lot of money, hehehe) to support.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 18:48   #2
bikethief
itchy trigger

If 25k is your budget then a digital SLR is out of the question. Try the canon ixus line of compact cameras or the fuji finepix series if you want more manual control. I'm selling a Canon 300D digital SLR in case you're interested. Comes with 2 batts, battery pack/grip assembly, 17-55 canon lens, charger, Ridata 256mb CF card. Sama ko narin medium sized tripod. 48K packaged na lahat.

- bikethief
bikethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 19:41   #3
New_comer

Check out the following digicam sites:

imaging-resource
CNET
dcviews
dpreview

For that budget, your best bets would be the Olympus long zooms c-760, c-765, c-770; Canon S1IS (docT is selling his IIRC); Panasonic FZ5. These are enthusiast cameras that allow you to tinker with aperture, shutter speed, flash, white balance, but also have pre-programmed shooting modes for beginners.

To get a modest dSLR, you would need a budget of more than 50K. Your choices would be among the following: the Canon 350D, Nikon D50, D70, D70s, Pentax **st DS, DL, & DS2; Olympus E300 & E500; and Konica Minolta's Maxxum 5D (which I would get if I had money, given its Image Stabilized body).

Next step then you'd had to have around 100K. For this Canon 20D rules the heap, followed by KN Maxxum 7D, and possibly Nikon's latest, the D200.

New_comer
BoG's #38
H&K Club #38

"We like to talk about (or be told about) Democracy but, when put to the test, usually find it to be an 'inconvenience.' We have opted instead for an authoritarian system *disguised* as a Democracy. We pay through the nose for an enormous joke-of-a-government, let it push us around, and then wonder how all those *******s got in there."
- Frank Zappa
New_comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 21:21   #4
i_am_infinity
Pang Altar

ok ba yung Olympus DGcams???

BOG #6
i_am_infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 22:34   #5
tanduay

try mo nikon d50 or d70 parang less than 30k and yung lens mo pwede mo pa gamitin.
tanduay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 23:49   #6
i_am_infinity
Pang Altar

Chard,

ganun lang ba mga price ng nikon??;P

BOG #6
i_am_infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 00:16   #7
mc_oliver

If you're interested in a Canon D5, my officemate is selling his, I think. I'll ask him how much he's selling it for.
me :) ***
mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 00:29   #8
tanduay

jay,

and d70s nasa 46k body lang, yung d50 cheaper. estimate ko lang yun ha kasi kung e base natin sa d70 & d70s mas mura ang d70 ng $200.

Mc_o,

Bakit nya e bebenta? bagong model ng canon ang d5.
Old 12-08-2005, 00:41   #9
mc_oliver

'Di nya yata kasi nagagamit eh. Or mukhang bibili ng shotgun siguro...;f

I borrowed his cam to take this pic:

Band of Glockers
Old 12-08-2005, 00:42   #10
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by New_comer
Canon S1IS (docT is selling his IIRC
Swapped it for my sister's handycam a long time ago

Django
You do have to stretch your budget a bit to more or less 50K. Since you already have nikon lenses, the Nikon D50, D70 or D70s are good bets. If you want to start fresh with a new system the Canon 350D is an excellent entry level DSLR. Since you already came from SLR's, going to the the high end digicam route will only make you upgrade later on(mapapamahal pa) so it would be better to get a DSLR from the start.
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
doctabako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 00:59   #11
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by mc_oliver
If you're interested in a Canon D5, my officemate is selling his, I think. I'll ask him how much he's selling it for.
If you're referring to the Canon 5D. That's a full frame(no crop factor) DSLR which sells for 200K brand new(body only). I've got my sights on that and I'm currently saving up for one(yaan na yung open gun, hindi rin naman ako nakakaputok masyado ;f)
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old 12-08-2005, 01:51   #12
New_comer

The D200 is supposed to be Nikon's answer to Canon's D5 at half the price. Haven't read much about it yet except previews from the sites I listed, so it's still your call if 200-250K is worth it for a 5D

Quote:
i_am_infinity : ok ba yung Olympus DGcams???
I own an Olympus C-760, a 3.2mp enthusiast camera with a 10x lens. Like my guns, it is way better than me. At only 20K when I got it last year, it and its 4mp siblings (765 and 770) are the best bang for your buck if you're into long shots. You have to add 10-20K+ to buy the next competitors from Canon, Konica Minolta, Kodak and Panasonic, which Olympus bested in CNET's reviews.

New_comer
BoG's #38
H&K Club #38

"We like to talk about (or be told about) Democracy but, when put to the test, usually find it to be an 'inconvenience.' We have opted instead for an authoritarian system *disguised* as a Democracy. We pay through the nose for an enormous joke-of-a-government, let it push us around, and then wonder how all those *******s got in there."
- Frank Zappa
Old 12-08-2005, 02:16   #13
mc_oliver

Quote:
Originally posted by doctabako
If you're referring to the Canon 5D. That's a full frame(no crop factor) DSLR which sells for 200K brand new(body only). I've got my sights on that and I'm currently saving up for one(yaan na yung open gun, hindi rin naman ako nakakaputok masyado ;f)
Ay sori, ngongo ako. Canon Powershot G5 pala. ;f
Old 12-08-2005, 02:31   #14
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by New_comer
The D200 is supposed to be Nikon's answer to Canon's D5 at half the price. Haven't read much about it yet except previews from the sites I listed, so it's still your call if 200-250K is worth it for a 5D
That may be if you're talking of Megapixels, the Nikon D200 has 10.2 while the 5D has 12.8. The main appeal of the 5D rests in its sensor which is the same size as that of 35mm film hence the term "full frame". A 16-35mm lens on a 5D will still be equivalent to a 16-35mm lens. Whereas with the Nikons D200's DX sensor which has a 1.5X field of view(FOV) crop it will translate to the FOV of a 24-52mm lens. For my Canon 20D which has a 1.6X crop it will translate into a 25.2mm-56mm lens.
The FOV crop isn't bad in itself as it is an advantage for telephoto lenses. A 300mm lens in a 1.6X crop 20D will result in an equivalent 480mm FOV. The advantage of full frame in this regard is for the wider focal lengths.
Other advantages is that with a larger sensor, the individual pixels are larger and the pixel pitch is larger hence less digital "noise" at high ISO's even ISO 3200 is clean in a 5D. The viewfinder is also wider and brighter. As to the price, the PRO version with the full frame sensor, the Canon 1DsMkII(FF with 16.8MP sensor) costs twice as much as the 5d so some view the 5D as a good buy. As to the question, "Is it worth it?" I too am still wavering between it and just buying a new lens but I'll know with finality after the holidays.

From the dpreview site
Band of Glockers
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Last edited by doctabako; 12-08-2005 at 03:03..
Old 12-08-2005, 03:12   #15
tanduay

Quote:
doct,

Benta na mga baril and bili 5d ;f
Old 12-08-2005, 03:16   #16
New_comer

More of the picture from the same distance. Para ka nang naka fisheye agad. Neat ^c

Sori, di ko makita yung shot ko ke Geneva Cruz taken from 30 yds out at 10x zoom e. Instead here are 100% crops taken from my Olympus at the medium HQ setting 3.2MP, standard and full zoom of the power lines near my place:

New_comer
BoG's #38
H&K Club #38

- Frank Zappa
Old 12-08-2005, 03:19   #17
New_comer

Isa lang pala puede...

New_comer
BoG's #38
H&K Club #38

- Frank Zappa
Old 12-08-2005, 03:28   #18
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by tanduay
doct,

Benta na mga baril and bili 5d ;f
;f ayaw ko magbenta ng baril, parang mga anak ko na yon e, baka magsisi pa ako Konti na lang kulang ko sa play money mga 60K na lang ;f at kailangan malamig ang ulo ng misis pag oras na
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old 12-08-2005, 03:49   #19
tanduay

Quote:
;f ayaw ko magbenta ng baril, parang mga anak ko na yon e, baka magsisi pa ako Konti na lang kulang ko sa play money mga 60K na lang ;f at kailangan malamig ang ulo ng misis pag oras na
Tanong mo kay misis kung anong gusto nya sa xmas. wag land diamond or kotse sabay sabihin mo gusto mo regalo sa xmas 5d! suggestion lang docT ;f
Old 12-08-2005, 04:17   #20
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by tanduay
Tanong mo kay misis kung anong gusto nya sa xmas. wag land diamond or kotse sabay sabihin mo gusto mo regalo sa xmas 5d! suggestion lang docT ;f
natumbok mo ;f pag may binili akong medyo mahal may tong iyon sa kanya at least 1/4 to 1/2 the price nung binili ko na kapalit. ;f
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum