Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:02   #1
Super Shorty
5 feet of fun!

Need Recommendations

HI,

I am a young woman looking into getting a small revolver for future concealed carry and need some ideas on what's good.
Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Face it - Women Have Issues!
Super Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:26   #2
sprmedic69

The question is, are you an experienced shooter?

Small and light usually equals greater recoil. If you are used to that, you will be fine. If not, you will hate it. If you are going to carry it regularly, you need to shoot it frequently to keep your skills up. If it isn't fun to shoot, then you won't practice. If you don't practice, you might as well throw it at them instead of shooting it at them because you won't stop them if you can't hit them.

I had a snub nose 38 that I thought I would just throw in the car and leave it just in case. I went to shoot it at the range, and it actually hurt my hand to shoot it. I knew I wouldn't shoot it regularly, so I sold it.

However, if you think it is still the way to go, I would look at the Taurus line of revolvers. They are cheaper than the others, but are well built, and have the best warranty in the business. Smith also makes some fine revolvers, but they are pricy for what you get.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:51   #3
Vic303

I'd start with a GP-100 .357 Ruger in 4". Not designed for carry but a SWEET pistol to get started with and an excellent nightstand pistol! Then you can look at the Ruger SP-101 in .357 for carry.

With a .357 you can shoot .38specials in it for practice, and hotter .357 for defensive, or .38spl +P.
Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Vic303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 00:39   #4
polygonal

Taurus Mdl. 85 CHB

I can't agree with the Ruger SP101 or GP100 in .357 Magnum. Too much gun for concealment. They are larger type revolvers. I can recomend the Taurus snub nose .38 Special. Depending on how you are going to conceal and how much weight is an issue you might want to check out the Ultra-Lite revolvers by Smith&Wesson. My Taurus is a little heavy for such a small gun. The .38 Special can be a hand full for some shooters. Shooters that find this too much bang usually end up with a .22 cal. mini revolver or small auto. I also have a nice little .32 cal. Berretta Tomcat auto pistol. It is extremly concealable, lightweight, and reliable. The .32 bullet is not a real man-stopper but it beats the .22 and with Winchester Silver Tip bullets it has good stopping power stats. I'll post the pic. of the .32 on the following post. Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2005, 00:44   #5
polygonal

.32 Caliber Berretta Tomcat Automatic

This has a tip up barrel so you don't have to pull the slide back to chamber a round. You just put a bullet into the "tip up" barrel and put the magazine in and your good to go. 7 rounds in the mag and one in the barrel. That's 8 shots of .32 caliber. First pull of the trigger is hard then it goes into single action (easy pull) mode.
Old 12-15-2005, 16:16   #6
Unbridled Rage
Swollen Member

I would recommend one of these:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProd...=5748&return=Y

Ruger SP-101, .32 H&R Mag, 6 rounds.

A compact framed revolver.

It comes in both a 3" barrel and a 4" barrel.

Less pop than a .38 special, more pop than a .22 or a .32ACP.

I like and own the Tomcat (.32ACP auto) as well.

D
Old 12-15-2005, 19:25   #7
soldier615

re: small revolver

Hi, I'm Mrs soldier615

I would suggest that you go to a range that rents a variety of revolvers (based on your experience level with revolvers). Start with revolvers that have a 4 to 6 inch barrel. Yes, they look big, but get a feel for one in your hand. Remember, the larger, heavier guns have less felt recoil. I recommend you start with .38 caliber. Most ranges will offer instruction if you are new to firearms. Once you've got a feel for the larger revolvers, my recommendation for concealed carry revolvers would be a S&W airweight .38+P such as a 642 which has a 2 inch barrel (snub nosed).
I carry this weapon and practice with .38 special ammo. The .38+P does have more felt recoil, and I use this primarily when I carry it.
As far as carry goes, the weapon is light, comfortable, and easily concealable. It does require training and practice to be proficient with it, but you should be training consistently with any weapon that you are carrying. Write me back if you have additional questions.
Sub Club #297
soldier615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 19:37   #8
Super Shorty
5 feet of fun!

THANK YOU!

Thank you all for the recommendations. It will probably be a while yet until I finally get one, but when I do I will let ya'll know!

Face it - Women Have Issues!
Super Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote