Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2005, 20:42   #1
garythenuke

longrange sniping marker

What marker/barrel combo will make the best long range sniping marker? I know that the long range barrels give a backspin to the ball and that obviously a longer barrle will give better velocity and range. What about other accessories for the marker? Thinking quiet, multiple shot capacity and such. I guess this question may be a bit rambling, but thank you for any suggestions.
garythenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 21:37   #2
DDH
23 FEB 1945

Re: longrange sniping marker

Quote:
Originally posted by garythenuke
What marker/barrel combo will make the best long range sniping marker? I know that the long range barrels give a backspin to the ball and that obviously a longer barrle will give better velocity and range. What about other accessories for the marker? Thinking quiet, multiple shot capacity and such. I guess this question may be a bit rambling, but thank you for any suggestions.
Paintball doesn't work like that. One projectile going 300 fps will travel as far as the next one going 300 fps. The Tippmann flatline barrels use the Magnus effect to gain extra distance at the cost of accuracy.

Barrel porting affects how quiet your barrel is, but the longer your barrel the worse your air efficiency. You shouldn't be using a barrel over 12-14" in length unless you play on on inflatable field, longer barrels help you push the bunkers out of the way if that's the case.

In the woodsball venue, which I suspect you play, I'd steer clear from as much of the aftermarket junk as possible. Most of it just weighs your gun down and makes it really heavy. You don't need red dot sights nor picatinny rails.

If I were you I'd start out with a nice Tippmann A-5, a good bulletproof woodsball gun for a beginner. Get one with a response trigger, maybe upgrade the internals and get a new front handle for it. Clean up the overspray on the interior to help with efficiency. Get a Lapco bigshot for your first barrel. Cheap, loud, and plenty accurate. Feel free to use HPA or CO2, whichever is cheapest for you to have filled.

That new Tippmann C3 intrigues me, though.
DDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:23   #3
garythenuke

Thanks DDH,
What is the C3? I have only played a few times and only with rented gear. It was a blast. Yours is exactly the type of information I am looking for.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:37   #4
DDH
23 FEB 1945

Quote:
Originally posted by garythenuke
Thanks DDH,
What is the C3? I have only played a few times and only with rented gear. It was a blast. Yours is exactly the type of information I am looking for.
The C3 is a pump gun that uses propane. It's supposed to get 50,000 shots off a 16 oz tank. My friends don't let me play woodsball with them unless I use a pump, and the one I use now I bought in '99.

The thing to avoid is getting caught up in buying all sorts of stuff you don't really need. If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer to the best of my ability.

I actually have some paintball stuff out on eBay right now, if you're interested. It's all in good condition, I'm just dumping excess gear before Christmas.

eBay Sale
Old 12-14-2005, 13:10   #5
FL_FlatTop

I'll second the The Tippmann a-5. I don't have an opnion on the Lapco barrel as I have not used them. The biggest key to accuracy in a paintball barrel is paint to barrel fit. A little further explaination:

Paintballs are .68 caliber

Barrel kits come with sizing sleeves from say .679 - .699

A paintball matched with its closest sleeve size is going to be more accurate than a paintball messuring .679 being shot from a barrel measuring .699

Some good barrel kits:

Smart Parts Freak (7 or 8 sizing sleves)
Smart Parts Freak Jr (3 most common sizing sleves) - What I use
Hammerhead (The only true rifled paintball barrel)

Hope this helps out some
G1 Niners Club #3018
FL_FlatTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:20   #6
DDH
23 FEB 1945

Quote:
Originally posted by FL_FlatTop
I'll second the The Tippmann a-5. I don't have an opnion on the Lapco barrel as I have not used them. The biggest key to accuracy in a paintball barrel is paint to barrel fit. A little further explaination:

Paintballs are .68 caliber

Barrel kits come with sizing sleeves from say .679 - .699

A paintball matched with its closest sleeve size is going to be more accurate than a paintball messuring .679 being shot from a barrel measuring .699

Some good barrel kits:

Smart Parts Freak (7 or 8 sizing sleves)
Smart Parts Freak Jr (3 most common sizing sleves) - What I use
Hammerhead (The only true rifled paintball barrel)

Hope this helps out some
Yes and no. Consistency is the key to accuracy, and paint to barrel match is part of that. If your velocity is spiking and dropping the paint won't go the same place twice. Your tank's output, any secondary regs, and the condition of your orings all play a part. Even the quality of your paint plays a part.

The Freak is ok, but the Powerlyte Scepter is probably the best value in a barrel kit on the market. The compression fit will keep your inserts tight over a longer period of time than the oring system.

The Hammerhead system is a piece of crap built on hype. They claim it increases your accuracy and efficiency, makes the ball fly farther and straighter, and cleans itself out in a few shots. None of their claims are true. There have been plenty of rifled paintball barrels, starting with the original Armson rifled barrel in 1990. It just doesn't work. I was a chump and bought one, it was the worst paintball related purchase I've ever made.
Old 12-15-2005, 17:20   #7
Ultra-violent

As soon as I saw your title I had a whole long speech ready for you. Then DDH had to steal my thunder. ;f So all I really have to add is "what he said".
Proud Lone Star Glocker #1865.
1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 19:05   #8
DDH
23 FEB 1945

Quote:
Originally posted by 1865
As soon as I saw your title I had a whole long speech ready for you. Then DDH had to steal my thunder. ;f So all I really have to add is "what he said".
I'm sorry! ;1

I'll try to leave some of it unsaid next time, freeing up some of the thunder.
Old 12-15-2005, 20:46   #9
garythenuke

Thanks, everyone, for all the thunder:-). Any more input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:33   #10
LazarusLong101

The best sniping marker I have ever seen would either be the phantom pump or the old vm-68. Phantom pumps are downright freaky with some mods,and are said to be the most accurate marker there is. If you google for reviews you will find some crazy stuff. VM-68 is not so much accuracy, but range. It has an insanely long range, and an old trick was to hold it pointing down until some liqiud gas trickled inside the gun and then shoot it quickly. You could get some serious yardage that way... But about 10 feet of white smoke too
"Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. . . . He is the hero, he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor, by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world."
Raymond Chandler

Last edited by LazarusLong101; 12-31-2005 at 04:43..
LazarusLong101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 17:35   #11
GunBomB
oldschoolhustle

Quote:
Originally posted by DDH
The C3 is a pump gun that uses propane. It's supposed to get 50,000 shots off a 16 oz tank. My friends don't let me play woodsball with them unless I use a pump, and the one I use now I bought in '99.

The thing to avoid is getting caught up in buying all sorts of stuff you don't really need. If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer to the best of my ability.

I actually have some paintball stuff out on eBay right now, if you're interested. It's all in good condition, I'm just dumping excess gear before Christmas.

eBay Sale
I heard about the C3, a propane tank sounds so explosive, more people are sooooo dead.
GunBomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:12   #12
Ultra-violent

Quote:
Originally posted by LazarusLong101
It has an insanely long range, and an old trick was to hold it pointing down until some liqiud gas trickled inside the gun and then shoot it quickly. You could get some serious yardage that way... But about 10 feet of white smoke too
That's really dangerous. The reason that trick gives you more range is that you are manipulating the marker into firing a shot at a higher speed than normal. So you've gone from your cronoed speed of 300 fps to an unknown higher velocity. That's bad. Aside from illegally increasing the speed of your marker, all paintball markers have the exact same range. The range is determined by the weight of the ball, the speed of the ball and the angle of the barrel. All paintballs have close to the same weight, all markers should be cronoed at close to the same speed and anyone can hold their marker at a 45 degree angle. That's why the "sniper marker" is a paintball myth.
Old 01-03-2006, 16:22   #13
LazarusLong101

With the exception of the flatline, what you say should be true, but for some reason the VM-68 may shoot the same velocity, but it always seemed to outdistance the other markers ;5 One of those weird things you can't explain. Mabye the bore and lockup were tighter or something....
"Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. . . . He is the hero, he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor, by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world."
Raymond Chandler
LazarusLong101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 20:04   #14
brock sampson

I've always contributed this to the different trajectory found from one type of gun to another. The path of the ball is more of an arc in some markers. It looks like the ball goes farther but, supposedly if all things are equal, the distance is the same.
brock sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 18:18   #15
Ultra-violent

Quote:
Originally posted by LazarusLong101
With the exception of the flatline, what you say should be true, but for some reason the VM-68 may shoot the same velocity, but it always seemed to outdistance the other markers ;5 One of those weird things you can't explain. Mabye the bore and lockup were tighter or something....
Yes, the "front-spin" from a Flatline does give a bit more distance. The downside is that you lose accuracy and the ball is moving slow enough that a lot of them don't break at the extended distance.