Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-18-2005, 23:12   #1
cjp85

Dumb question that's been bugging me...

When entering a URL, such as www.glocktalk.com, why is the "www" even there, http://glocktalk.com works just as well. Most companies even advertise with the "www" but it works fine with or without it. Also, with free web hosts such as tripod, you can either do www.tripod.com/users/username123 or you can use http://username123.tripod.com. Anyone know the answer to this? I know it doesn't matter, but I've always wanted to know why we type "www".
cjp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 23:36   #2
MrWithasee
Not playing

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I have visited sites that do require the www be entered. I also thought it did not matter but I have seen some that it does.
MrWithasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 23:53   #3
Sm0key369

I type in Glocktalk and then hit Ctrl and enter. Any site I go to I type in the name of it and hit Ctrl Enter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sm0key369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 00:01   #4
hwyhobo

Re: Dumb question that's been bugging me...

Quote:
Originally posted by cjp85
When entering a URL, such as www.glocktalk.com, why is the "www" even there, http://glocktalk.com works just as well. Most companies even advertise with the "www" but it works fine with or without it. Also, with free web hosts such as tripod, you can either do www.tripod.com/users/username123 or you can use http://username123.tripod.com. Anyone know the answer to this? I know it doesn't matter, but I've always wanted to know why we type "www".
It all depends on how the administrator set up the servers and the DNS (domain name resolution). You may have multiple servers in the domain somedomain.com. One of them may be called "ftp". The symbolic address of that server would then be ftp.somedomain.com. Most likely, that would be an ftp server. There may be another server called "www". Then its symbolic address would be www.somedomain.com. That would most likely be the web server. Mind you, behind each symbolic address is a real IP address. Say, our ftp.somedomain.com server resolves to 10.0.0.10, and our www.somedomain.com resolves to 10.0.0.11. Now, what would happen if the admin set it up so that "somedomain.com" also resolved to the same IP address 10.0.0.11? Well, whether you typed www.somedomain.com or somedomain.com, you would hit the same IP address. Since, if you do not specify access method at the beginning, the browser will assume first the http protocol, you will hit port 80 on that machine, and the web server will respond.

Does that help, or does it muddy it up further?
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 00:04   #5
MrWithasee
Not playing

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sm0key369
I type in Glocktalk and then hit Ctrl and enter. Any site I go to I type in the name of it and hit Ctrl Enter. [/QUOTE

I did not know you could do that. Thanks
MrWithasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 00:12   #6
cjp85

Re: Re: Dumb question that's been bugging me...

Quote:
Originally posted by hwyhobo

Does that help, or does it muddy it up further?
Thank you, it makes sense to me now. So the "www" is just what everyone happens to call their servers? And am I right in asuming that "www" stands for "world wide web"?
cjp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 00:53   #7
darth_rifle
(null)

Way back in the day people frequently used protocols other than HTTP to get information (Gopher, FTP, Archie, telnet, FTPmail, etc...). It was common practice to name the machine after the service it supplied.

Now, HTTP is virtually guaranteed to be running on any machine that exposes remote services, and it is usually the only thing people are interested in accessing. There is an assumption that any domain has an associated HTTP (web) server. Therefore, it has become redundant to specify the "www". Additionally, the domain "root" itself will share the same IP address as the web server (and vice versa). whatever.com and www.whatever.com will almost always have the same IP address (load-balancing through DNS excluded).

HTH (and too tired to explain the mail exchanger record)

- D. Rifle
Old 12-19-2005, 01:33   #8
hwyhobo

Quote:
Originally posted by cjp85
Thank you, it makes sense to me now. So the "www" is just what everyone happens to call their servers? And am I right in asuming that "www" stands for "world wide web"?
Absolutely. And, as darth_rifle eloquently explained, it is a matter of tradition. These days it is likely not necessary, but it has been such a simple and elegant convention, most still use it.
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 16:20   #9
Furant

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrWithasee
Quote:
Originally posted by Sm0key369
I type in Glocktalk and then hit Ctrl and enter. Any site I go to I type in the name of it and hit Ctrl Enter. [/QUOTE

I did not know you could do that. Thanks
If you're using Firefox, try Shift+Enter and Ctrl+Shift+Enter too (for .net and .org, respectively).
Furant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 16:27   #10
Sm0key369

Quote:
Originally posted by jferrante
If you're using Firefox, try Shift+Enter and Ctrl+Shift+Enter too (for .net and .org, respectively).
Oh yeah forgot about the home comp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sm0key369 is offline   Reply With Quote