Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2006, 01:18   #21
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Northwoods Trading Post aka Freeman's Firearms
Hancock, MI (Keweenaw Penninsula)

Very good selection of defensive handguns for the area. Rick is a cool guy and pleasure to work with. $30 HG xfers; he xfered my Para from gunbroker. Good selection of firearms. Carries Sig, Beretta, Glock, Springer, Colt, S&W, Taurus, Kel-Tec, Kahr, Ruger, and Magnum Research (singles and the package deals). Also carries Armalite AR-50s.

Some light gunsmithing is done there. 1911 fitting and parts swap stuff, hunting rifle and shotty stuff too.

Next closest gunshop is Indian Country Sports in L'Anse. He is alright. More hunting than defensive, has to order most everything. Carries a lot of manufacturers, can get what you need. Really good website, www.indiancountrysports.com. Don't know about transfer fees. Got my snubbie on a trade.

Sorry for the long descriptions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 23:55   #22
two glock gene

+1 on Guns Galore(Fenton) for prices and plus 1 on Williams(Davidson) for gunsmithing and general nice guys to work with.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:40   #23
jcevans
Shootin' Shep'

+1 for Guns Galore. Great prices, great selection.

From repeated bad experiences, workmanship, and service, however, I would not recommend the Powder Keg (Howell).

Last edited by jcevans; 03-19-2007 at 10:10..
jcevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:58   #24
jolt8me
Your the devil

target sports....... just kidding
jolt8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:14   #25
rein-22

Quote:
Originally posted by nova454
I drive 120 miles one way to do my gundealing at Williams in Davison. If you ever have a problem with anything purchased their they will make it right. At least it has been true in my case.

I went out williams to but a set of fire sights for my glock.i asked about installation i was told $80.00 for the back sight and $80.00 for the front sight.these are insatll prices only.if i wanted done right away add another $10.00 per front and back.i told them to keep there product and walked...
rein-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 19:45   #26
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cicero
That's wierd. I won't go anywhere else when it comes to gunsmith services - Dave is awesome, friendly, won't b.s. you, and really knows his stuff.

But in my opinion the selection on firearms is poor and their prices are obscene. They do get some neat pieces, but I wouldn't buy a gun from them unless they were willing to come down on price. Ammo is right out.

I'd try Total in Holt or Shupeck's (sp) in Jackson before buying at Classic.
The worst place in Michigan is Total Firearms in Holt/Mason (It is a Mason address, though it seems closer to Holt)

This place is WAY overpriced, far higher than Classic, and most of the staff are ignorant, arrogant, and downright rude. I will never go back to Total. They treat customers as an intrusion, and they know nothing about firearms. I am speaking of most of the staff, not necessarily all of them.

They do have the largest selection in the mid-Michigan area, but that does not give them the right to treat their customers like crap. This is not based on one visit, but on the 5 or 6 times I have been in their shop and the 2 or 3 times I have called them on the phone. They were NOT helpful. As I said, I will not go back.

I have dealt with Classic many times, and their prices, while not like Wal-Mart, are reasonable (far less than Total), and their people are far more knowledgable and friendly. That means a lot to me. I would rather pay slightly more and have good service that to be treated like ***** at Total.

Classic will get my business from now on...Total will not see me again.
Doug - The necessary consequence of man’s right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative. | Ayn Rand - “The Nature of Government,” The Virtue of Selfishness, 108

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."
douglasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:29   #27
Cicero

Quote:
Originally posted by douglasd
The worst place in Michigan is Total Firearms in Holt/Mason (It is a Mason address, though it seems closer to Holt)

This place is WAY overpriced, far higher than Classic, and most of the staff are ignorant, arrogant, and downright rude. I will never go back to Total. They treat customers as an intrusion, and they know nothing about firearms. I am speaking of most of the staff, not necessarily all of them.

They do have the largest selection in the mid-Michigan area, but that does not give them the right to treat their customers like crap. This is not based on one visit, but on the 5 or 6 times I have been in their shop and the 2 or 3 times I have called them on the phone. They were NOT helpful. As I said, I will not go back.

I have dealt with Classic many times, and their prices, while not like Wal-Mart, are reasonable (far less than Total), and their people are far more knowledgable and friendly. That means a lot to me. I would rather pay slightly more and have good service that to be treated like ***** at Total.

Classic will get my business from now on...Total will not see me again.
Wow. Interesting differences in perception. I've been hit & miss in customer service at Classic and at Total (about 3/5 of the time positive/value added). I tried to buy a g34 from both shops about 6 months ago. Total wanted $639. Classic wanted $649. Of course, Guns Galore in Fenton wanted either $579 or $589, meaning that they got my business.

I don't have anything against the people at Classic. I just get pissy when someone tries to sell me 115gr 9mm American Eagle for over $12/box "on sale."
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:47   #28
FJC

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjim
The Firing Line has a beautiful range. Staff has always been friendly to me. Not always the best prices, but good selection.
Firing Line recently dropped their firearms prices significantly - they're on par with Guns Galore and Firearms Exchange now.
Old 11-03-2006, 21:38   #29
Neva

Quote:
Originally posted by shortsleeve
Randy's Hunting Center in Bad Axe. I had the pleasure or meeting and dealing with John for a bit and I was very impressed. hell of a guy to deal with.

www.randyshuntingcenter.com/(they need to update web site)
721 E. Huron Ave Bad Axe, MI 48413
+1 on dealing with John. My husband bought me a nice 11-87P that turned out to have barrel problems - we talked to him, did a few emails, met him at the next gun show, gave him back the gun, then picked it up a week later with a new barrel on it and an apology for putting me to any trouble. Excellent service from a shop with a terrific variety and excellent prices.
Graduate LFI-1
NRA Certified Instructor, Training Counselor and RTBAV -Utah Certified
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 13:54   #30
jooos
NRA member

Muskegon area

Nice little mom and pop shop...

GARY'S GUNS INC.
4021 APPLE AVE.
MUSKEGON MICHIGAN 49442
PHONE; (231)-788-5159
e-mail; garysguns2000@yahoo.com
Old 12-10-2006, 21:14   #31
snow4brains

Closed/lost lease

Marshalls Shooting Center
1550 E. Virginia Dr.
Midland, MI 48642
Tel: (989) 832-8888
Marshalls Shooting Center

After shopping around for a couple weeks, I bought my G17 from Marshalls. Great bunch of guys over there, very knowledgeable and helpful. Oh... there prices are the best I found in my area. Heck Gander Mountain in Saginaw wanted $20 more for a used G17 than I paid for NIB @ Marshalls.

Last edited by snow4brains; 12-06-2009 at 21:36..
snow4brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:10   #32
Maverick1023

Quote:
Originally posted by Cicero
Wow. Interesting differences in perception. I've been hit & miss in customer service at Classic and at Total (about 3/5 of the time positive/value added). I tried to buy a g34 from both shops about 6 months ago. Total wanted $639. Classic wanted $649. Of course, Guns Galore in Fenton wanted either $579 or $589, meaning that they got my business.

I don't have anything against the people at Classic. I just get pissy when someone tries to sell me 115gr 9mm American Eagle for over $12/box "on sale."
I'm new here but not to guns or Glocks, I feel the need to defend Total, too. I've been going there for three years or so to use the range. I bought my Beretta from them at a Mason gun show, I have found them friendly and courteous at all times. When I was in the market for a 1911 they took the time to explain the Para and Kimber differences to me. They took a personal interest in my son when he took the CPL class there. I will be going up there this Friday to shoot my new Ultra Carry II. Thanks for a great forum.
Old 12-19-2006, 21:04   #33
brucek

Just my 2 cents from a new member...

Positives:

MichiGun 'n Tackle in St Clair Shores have always done right by me. Peters in Roseville.
D&D in Troy/Clawson
Little Al at Double Action in Sterling Heights has always given me deals on every gun purchased there - lots of 'em.
Wessels in Livonia.
Big Bear in Mt. Clemens gave me a super deal on a HK USC a few years back.
Guns Galore in Fenton

Neutral:

Target Sports in Royal Oak
Midwest Ordnance in Royal Oak?

Negatives:

North West Guns in Redford. Very bad deposit policy. I won't even shop there anymore. YMMV.

Anyway, just my opinion.
--

Bruce K
Glock 23
Colt's Lots
HK Yes
S&W Yep
And Many More
brucek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:21   #34
DreamWeaver88

I really like Michi-gun. Those guys are great, and their prices are pretty darn good. Pat and Adam are great guys to deal with. I just picked up an M&P9 compact there the other day.

I don't care for Double Action. The atmosphere just seems unfriendly, and thier prices are astronomical. If you're shooting on their range, forget practicing double taps. They will come out and tell you to slow down.

I really want to like Wessels (because they're close to me), but they have virtually no selection, and they're on par with Double Action price wise, which is not a good thing. The last time I was there, my buddy inquired about having them order a S&W 340PD (because of course they don't stock much). The guy laughed (for some reason) then looked in the S&W catalog and quoted my buddy a price of $850, which is about $200 or so more than the prices at gun shows.

Peters has a decent selection. They sometimes have some gems in the consignment area. The range is great in the sense that they are probably the only range within a reasonable driving distance that will allow you to rapid fire. The downside is, you pretty much need a respirator because they have to worst vetilation system ever...and during the summer, if it's really hot outside, it'll be really hot on the range.

I'll never again buy a gun from Midwest Ordnance. The few times I've been in their shop, I got that Sanford & Son vibe. The real reason I won't buy from there is that I picked up an SKS from them at a gun show a few years back.....then I got a visit from the ATF a few months later. Seems they were selling SKS's with folding stocks and detachable mags during the assault weapon ban. They got pinched and a lot of people that bought SKS's from them got visits.

Firearm Exchange is a good place to go. They have a really good selection, and pretty good prices. I bought my PLR-16 from them. They were the only dealer that had it in stock......heck, they were the only dealer that even knew what it was. They stock the cool stuff that other gun stores have no clue about. If only they were closer. One thing though.....if you're going there on a weekend, call ahead and find out if they're going to be at a show that weekend or else you'll get there and there will be like 8 guns on display. They just about pack up their entire inventory and take it to shows (at least, that's how it was the last time I went there (Only been there twice). They were at the Gibraltor show that weekend.

These are just my observations from visiting the different gun shops around here.

DW

Last edited by DreamWeaver88; 12-30-2006 at 04:24..
DreamWeaver88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 17:29   #35
Drilled

Wow!

Ten Ring, I am new to this forum and this is a great post!

Good job!

This is a list I have used before: Some duplicates and a few new ones as well...

http://cpltrainer.com/gunlist.html

Last edited by Drilled; 02-04-2007 at 11:00..
Drilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:38   #36
robotoid

Wessels in Livonia? Is that Shooters Service or another place I've never heard of?
robotoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 16:13   #37
two glock gene

NEW VIEW

I previously posted on this subject and always thought that Williams in davidson was an alright place to go until my last trip there. With no one in their shop and five sales people present I was treated as I had a desease and the group just had an attitude with and about me because ???? I interupted their conversation or what. I was trying to return a product clearly marked as theirs, until I purchased it, but I had no reciept so I was sort of laughed out of the store. I really didn't appreciate the child like attitude I was shown.I'am 66 years old-- I didn't deserve that reaction.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:55   #38
j_burton

I don't see Top Gun listed here. I have always been treated well there.
Old 02-07-2007, 14:27   #39
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

Quote:
Originally posted by j_burton
I don't see Top Gun listed here. I have always been treated well there.
I have too, except when I got yelled at for double taps and mozambiques. I'd understand them yelling at me if I wasn't shooting well, but center mass of my target was a ragged hole, and not one shot to the head was outside the silhouette.

Haven't been back since, but I don't live down that way and it needs to be a special trip to make it down there.

I can't comment on the prices, maybe someone can fill that in?

Visit to help!!-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
10 Ring Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:48   #40
stallion114

Total Firearms -1000

I hate Total firearms, and am glad to see I am nota alone. Ive been there a few times and had about 50% good bad experiences. If you ask me a retail store should have 99% positive experience.
There prices are insanely high in their store they were selling a sigma for 560!!!!
About a year ago I went in their to purchase my first handgun, I knew very little about them and was looking for some help. I was looking at a .380 and called it a 38 and the guy just makes me feel like a dumb*** while I admit it waws a little funny I didnt know this, if I am trying to sell a product the last thing i want to do is make the customer feel uncomfortable.
My biggest beef is with the turd that was running the range one afternoon. The guy is the most arrogant ahole I have ever met. (ex cop he says)
I showed up an 45 minutes before they closed with 2 friends, one of whom has only fired my 22 one other time.
So even though the website clearly says you can buy range time in half hour blocks, he makes me pay for 2 full hours for 45 minutes because there is only 2 to a lane. He then humiliates my friends on there shooting styles and tells the one who has limited shooting experiences that the slide was going to cut his hand off.
After all of this he spends 20 minutes talking about the shooting lessons he offers and brags about how good his accuracy is from 25 yards.

I WILL NEVER DO ANY BUSINESS WITH TOTAL FIREARMS AS LONG AS I LIVE B/C of that guy!!!

Good Experiences
Michiguns
Guns Galore
Cabelas
Peters in Roseville (range allows rapid fire too)
stallion114 is offline   Reply With Quote