SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-20-2007, 16:06   #41
CriticalSpace

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjim
The Firing Line has a beautiful range. Staff has always been friendly to me.
The Firing Line has great pricing and a very knowledgable staff. Its owned and operated by retired and active Westland PD. Some of whom are SWAT. The offer a wide variety of training also.
Old 02-20-2007, 19:57   #42
DreamWeaver88

Quote:
Originally posted by robotoid
Wessels in Livonia?
Wessels is in Warren....at 9 mile and Ryan.

DW
DreamWeaver88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 13:12   #43
NSANE

A couple of stores I've had great luck with are

Safes Unlimited
3361 Orchard lake road
Keego Harbar, MI. 48320
248-738-1500
Great prices, but only has a few guns in stock. One to two days to get most.

Top Gun
16725 Racho
Taylor, MI. 48180
734-282-8470

Cool store!
S&W 642
NSANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 13:24   #44
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

Quote:
Originally posted by NSANE
A couple of stores I've had great luck with are

Safes Unlimited

Great prices, but only has a few guns in stock. One to two days to get most.
That was the only place I was able to find corbon .380 DPX within an hour's drive.

That said, I remember the prices being a bit ridiculous.

Visit to help!!-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
10 Ring Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 22:58   #45
DownRiver

What's up ten ring!...been a while.

I'm sad to hear you had a bad expirience at Top Gun. They allow rapid fire of two to three shots.....anyone who yelled at you for doing double taps didn't know what they were talking about. You can double tap to your hearts content as long as your not shooting up the ceiling..........which I know you weren't.

By the way today was my last day working there so I'm officially non-bias..haha

Anyways good to see a familiar face around here after my extended absence from GT
Old 04-18-2007, 09:51   #46
Pyzik
Zombie Hunter

Re: Directory of Quality MI Gunshops

Quote:
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
[B]Recommended by others:[*]Johnson's
Adrian
http://www.johnsonsguns.com/
BIG +1000
These guys are awsome! Sometimes I will swing by Cabela's in Dundee. If I find somthing there(in the way of firearms) that I like I will call up Johnson's, let them know what I am looking at, and they will tell me what they can do better.
FWIW any time Cabela's takes in a smithing order they send the firearm to Johnson's.
Kalashnikov Klub and S&W Club #200
Quote:
But what happens when you eat the eat?
Pyzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 19:53   #47
boganz45

+1 for Michi-GUN

I have bought these guns from them at very good prices:

-Glock 23
-Remington 870 Wingmaster LC
-Colt Match Target Competition H-Bar
-Glock 22
-Glock 23 (second one)

Top notch everytime. He has thrown in a coffee mug, free rounds, a free grip, free lube, etc. HIGHLY recommended. Later,
boganz45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 14:33   #48
Pitmaster

Farr & Sons
1305 Airport Road
Niles, MI

Great gunsmith services with a nice selection of guns. Owners are extremely knowledgeable and service oriented. Since I'm an out of stater I won't be able to buy, but they will do all of my work.
Walther P99 Club #2985
Big Dawg #1540

TriggerMountain.com
Pitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 23:47   #49
Xenia

Re: Total Firearms -1000

Quote:
Originally posted by stallion114
I hate Total firearms, and am glad to see I am nota alone. Ive been there a few times and had about 50% good bad experiences. If you ask me a retail store should have 99% positive experience.
There prices are insanely high in their store they were selling a sigma for 560!!!!
About a year ago I went in their to purchase my first handgun, I knew very little about them and was looking for some help. I was looking at a .380 and called it a 38 and the guy just makes me feel like a dumb*** while I admit it waws a little funny I didnt know this, if I am trying to sell a product the last thing i want to do is make the customer feel uncomfortable.
My biggest beef is with the turd that was running the range one afternoon. The guy is the most arrogant ahole I have ever met. (ex cop he says)
I showed up an 45 minutes before they closed with 2 friends, one of whom has only fired my 22 one other time.
So even though the website clearly says you can buy range time in half hour blocks, he makes me pay for 2 full hours for 45 minutes because there is only 2 to a lane. He then humiliates my friends on there shooting styles and tells the one who has limited shooting experiences that the slide was going to cut his hand off.
After all of this he spends 20 minutes talking about the shooting lessons he offers and brags about how good his accuracy is from 25 yards.

I WILL NEVER DO ANY BUSINESS WITH TOTAL FIREARMS AS LONG AS I LIVE B/C of that guy!!!
I don't know squat but I met this guy when I visited Total. I am a woman and I figured I was treated as I was for that reason. I know a jerk when I see them and this guy sure was. Now, normally, I put a guy like that down a peg or two from the get go. Instead, I just put up with him. I also paid for the full hour of range time... when I only wanted to test a G-19 and shot only 10 rounds!

I could have used the full hour... just for fun, but I didn't want to stay there. I just had a bad feeling about the place. Besides, they guy wanted me to sign up for $75 an hour private lessons. I can assure you.... this woman knows a thing or two about characters... no way was I going to go out of my way to spend alone time with him.

No one has mentioned Schupbachs in Jackson. After I bought my gun from Michigan Police Equipment Co. in Lansing, I went there for some ammunition and other supplies. I made a comment to them that I had bought the Glock but never had them show me how to clean it and I was a newby. I said I read on line how to do it, read the manual but still couldn't do it. The man had me bring my gun in and spent over 30 minutes with me helping me learn how to take the slide off. (I thought I had lack of hand strength but after he lubed it... I had no trouble.) No charge! Now, THAT is a Gentleman with a capital "G".

BTW, Michigan Police Equipment seems like good folks. I got lost getting there and bought the gun just as they were closing and had barely enough time to drive to work. So, I don't have anything bad to say about them.

The 15 year old Glock 19 was under $300. I have no idea if that is a good price or not. It came with a transport approved box, two trigger locks (one for the box) and two 15 round magazines. It also had an after market rubber grip and night sights.

Last edited by Xenia; 06-06-2007 at 23:59..
Xenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 16:05   #50
Turtle13
Ni!

Gun World Inc.
Metamora (south of Lapeer on 24 about eight miles)
Jason is the owner.
Open M, W, F 10-7, Sat. 10-3
810-678-8778

Gun world was mentioned in the OP. I can attest that this store is great. Jason is knowledgable and very friendly. His prices aren't rock bottom, but they're good and I support small businesses. So, this is my official thumbs up for Gun World.
Turtle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 00:18   #51
StockGlock23
Hilarious!

I would like to add:
Store:
Jay's Sporting Goods
8800 S. Clare Ave.
Clare MI, 48617
989-386-3475

Gunsmith:
Cimmaron Gun Works
1010 W. Saginaw Rd.
Sanford MI, 48657
989-687-5671

For what it's worth I live in Indiana, and drive to Jay's for ALL my new gun purchases. I gave the address and phone number off the top of my head. Jeania is the gun dept. manager and she is one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met.

Last edited by StockGlock23; 07-30-2007 at 00:21..
StockGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:30   #52
Eternal Sun

+1 on Jay's in Clare. I havn't been there for a while, but it's a nice store (family owned) large selection (especially for long guns), decent prices, and reloading stuff too! In addition to other outdoor gear too - keeps the wife busy while I look at guns.
Eternal Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 18:21   #53
omega48038

M & R Specialties
1126 S. Gratiot Ave.
Mt. Clemens, MI 48043
(586) 954-3998

Not much as far as stock, but if you know what you want, he'll get it for you in a day or two, at a good price. Great refinishing services too (Diamondkote, a real nice process). Mike is very knowledgeable and friendly, no sales pressure, just good advice from a pro (if you ask for it). Also a very interesting guy to just BS with.

http://www.mrarms.com/
omega48038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:19   #54
I'm Such a Bird
Reformed Member

Total Firearms Range Officer

Yep, I met that range officer at Total Firearms in Mason/Holt just a couple of days ago. I bought 200 rounds of ammunition with the intention of shooting for only one hour. This guy decided to "take me on" as his student for the day, and proceeded to critique my form and "teach" me for much of the time that I was there. I only shot 108 rounds before my hour was up, and had to leave. This guy talked down at me for a large portion of that time.
I dealt with it because I am a polite person, and because he was the range officer, but I wondered what it was about me that attracted him to condescend.

I guess that I am not the only one!
I'm Such a Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 23:55   #55
I'm Such a Bird
Reformed Member

Oh, and just so that I don't seem like I am here to flame a place without giving any positives--I AM taking some of that range officer's advice in my shooting posture from now on. I just didn't like his approach to teach me when it was unasked for and I was paying to shoot--not talk. I was not doing anything in an unsafe manner before he approached me.

And I want to say that I bought my Glock 23 at Classic Arms Co. in Lansing. It is my first handgun, and I was VERY happy with the customer service there. I can vouch for the fact that I was not talked down to in the least there, even though my knowledge of handguns was relatively limited at the time.

I was treated with respect as I was taught how to disassemble/assemble (field-strip) my gun, how to clean it, lube it, and was recommended a variety of products with which to maintain it. They even threw in a couple of free items for me, such as a silicone cloth, and some Hoppe's #9. I understand that many of you think that Classic Arms Co. is overpriced, but I must say that I think that they were worth the extra cost when I bought my first Glock. Very patient with my inexperience (and they didn't force their ideas on me!).
I'm Such a Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:00   #56
Chui

I've visited all of the ranges short of one in SE Michigan at least five times and the best by far is The Firingline. The owners (2 of them) are both retired police officers one a patrol officer (Don Haight) and the other a SWAT marksman (Tommy Vaughn). Of the workers there is one other retired officer/instructor and two active LE officers. The really nice thing is the "hangers on": engineers, competitors, active and retired LE officers and what not. ALL of them are knowledgeable; one employee (K9 officer) is a highly respected competitive shooter. In fact, on any given weekend there are six guys there that could shoot "Expert" in IDPA; yet they are simply combat shooters who regularly attend classes in the region. On occasion there are some 'interesting' visitors who also step behind the counter to assist - we all do - in sales and, my specialty, assisting new shooters learn to shoot. The atmosphere is usually laid back with a bit of "goofballing" on occasion amongst the employees. There is usually a video playing on the two TVs - usually Kelly McCann (Jim Grover), Andy Stanford or Jim Yeager or a movie. There are classes from "Drawing from Concealment" to "Force on Force". There is a Thursday night Ladies Night (check the website or call for details) and a mildly competitive Fun League.

The place is like family and I have no issues stopping and and "going to work" selling, 'smithing or instructing. Yes, the prices are as low as a store can get without taking a beating and there is almost always someone in the store that can answer technical issues/concerns.

Come in early on a Sunday and just hang out a while. It's a diverse group and serves as a place to "catch up" with fellow serious shooters.

There is a nice selection, but not like that found at Target Sports or Guns Galore but unless you're unsafe and not willing to learn you'll probably not find a more hospitable crew. For instance, if things are not too busy I'll spend whatever time is needed for new shooters. I also offer to field strip and lube newly purchased pistols for those who are new to firearms. If they purchase and shoot I offer to clean and lube them before they leave.

There is a ton of Glock and Sig parts and two 'smiths frequent the place and there are three persons there who can do minor work on Glocks, Sigs & troubleshoot others.

I know each will have their own relationships/likes and dislikes, but I think you'll like the jovial atmosphere (it could actually be a reality show on Showtime when "the crew" is all present).

See you on the weekend.
Old 11-16-2007, 18:21   #57
who_dat
NRA Member

Interesting thread

I saw Jay's in Clare and I agree, but the prices are about 10 to 15 % higher than most. Also saw Gary's in Muskegon and I like that store as well. I got one of my guns there and like their prices, selection, and people.

Most of my business goes to Port City Pistols in Muskegon. Great prices, but a little limited in store selection. Greg will order anything you want, and the prices are still better than any I've seen anywhere. They have an indoor range, CPL classes, and long hours. Give it a try.
Port City Pistols
4250 Airline Rd.
Muskegon, MI
231-830-8100
SKS Club #94 Kahr Club #94, Kalishnikov Club #94
who_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 18:31   #58
hakuin

Send a message via AIM to hakuin
For those who appreciated the gunsmithing service previously at Classic Arms, that guy (Big Dave) has opened his own gunshop in BATH (dowtown) as of last month. He's been running the biz under the name Sportsman's Tackle, but his new FFL will change that name. I'll get you the new name as soon as I talk to him Monday.

He's located at 13630 Main St (suite D-around in the back) Bath, MI 48808
(517) 641-4979 is the current phone # I have. With Dave gone from Classic, I have no more reason to cross their threshold...my business will go to Mr. Dave Nickols, now.

Dave is a former LEO and very honorable individual.

Brian
hakuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 14:58   #59
hakuin

Send a message via AIM to hakuin
Follow-up to my post of 12-2:

The new business name is MID-MICHIGAN GUNS & GEAR.
The address and phone # remain the same.
hakuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 13:45   #60
JonShoup

Shooter's Choice on E. Main (off Sprinkle Rd) in Kzoo is a great place to visit. Bob is a great guy and, along with swapping stories til the sun goes down, he will get you anything you want at a great price. His in-store gun selection is unimpressive, but if you know what you want he's the guy to get it. Also, he has a great holster selection and the best knife display in atleast 2 counties (not that he has much competition in this area). His info is as follows:

Shooters Choice
3738 E. Main St
Kalamazoo, Mi
(269) 345-2225