8800 S. Clare Ave.
Clare MI, 48617
989-386-3475

Gunsmith:
Cimmaron Gun Works
1010 W. Saginaw Rd.
Sanford MI, 48657
989-687-5671

For what it's worth I live in Indiana, and drive to Jay's for ALL my new gun purchases. I gave the address and phone number off the top of my head. Jeania is the gun dept. manager and she is one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met.

Last edited by StockGlock23; 07-30-2007 at 00:21..
StockGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:30   #52
Eternal Sun

+1 on Jay's in Clare. I havn't been there for a while, but it's a nice store (family owned) large selection (especially for long guns), decent prices, and reloading stuff too! In addition to other outdoor gear too - keeps the wife busy while I look at guns.
Eternal Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 18:21   #53
omega48038

M & R Specialties
1126 S. Gratiot Ave.
Mt. Clemens, MI 48043
(586) 954-3998

Not much as far as stock, but if you know what you want, he'll get it for you in a day or two, at a good price. Great refinishing services too (Diamondkote, a real nice process). Mike is very knowledgeable and friendly, no sales pressure, just good advice from a pro (if you ask for it). Also a very interesting guy to just BS with.

http://www.mrarms.com/
omega48038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:19   #54
I'm Such a Bird
Reformed Member

Total Firearms Range Officer

Yep, I met that range officer at Total Firearms in Mason/Holt just a couple of days ago. I bought 200 rounds of ammunition with the intention of shooting for only one hour. This guy decided to "take me on" as his student for the day, and proceeded to critique my form and "teach" me for much of the time that I was there. I only shot 108 rounds before my hour was up, and had to leave. This guy talked down at me for a large portion of that time.
I dealt with it because I am a polite person, and because he was the range officer, but I wondered what it was about me that attracted him to condescend.

I guess that I am not the only one!
I'm Such a Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 23:55   #55
I'm Such a Bird
Reformed Member

Oh, and just so that I don't seem like I am here to flame a place without giving any positives--I AM taking some of that range officer's advice in my shooting posture from now on. I just didn't like his approach to teach me when it was unasked for and I was paying to shoot--not talk. I was not doing anything in an unsafe manner before he approached me.

And I want to say that I bought my Glock 23 at Classic Arms Co. in Lansing. It is my first handgun, and I was VERY happy with the customer service there. I can vouch for the fact that I was not talked down to in the least there, even though my knowledge of handguns was relatively limited at the time.

I was treated with respect as I was taught how to disassemble/assemble (field-strip) my gun, how to clean it, lube it, and was recommended a variety of products with which to maintain it. They even threw in a couple of free items for me, such as a silicone cloth, and some Hoppe's #9. I understand that many of you think that Classic Arms Co. is overpriced, but I must say that I think that they were worth the extra cost when I bought my first Glock. Very patient with my inexperience (and they didn't force their ideas on me!).
I'm Such a Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:00   #56
Chui

I've visited all of the ranges short of one in SE Michigan at least five times and the best by far is The Firingline. The owners (2 of them) are both retired police officers one a patrol officer (Don Haight) and the other a SWAT marksman (Tommy Vaughn). Of the workers there is one other retired officer/instructor and two active LE officers. The really nice thing is the "hangers on": engineers, competitors, active and retired LE officers and what not. ALL of them are knowledgeable; one employee (K9 officer) is a highly respected competitive shooter. In fact, on any given weekend there are six guys there that could shoot "Expert" in IDPA; yet they are simply combat shooters who regularly attend classes in the region. On occasion there are some 'interesting' visitors who also step behind the counter to assist - we all do - in sales and, my specialty, assisting new shooters learn to shoot. The atmosphere is usually laid back with a bit of "goofballing" on occasion amongst the employees. There is usually a video playing on the two TVs - usually Kelly McCann (Jim Grover), Andy Stanford or Jim Yeager or a movie. There are classes from "Drawing from Concealment" to "Force on Force". There is a Thursday night Ladies Night (check the website or call for details) and a mildly competitive Fun League.

The place is like family and I have no issues stopping and and "going to work" selling, 'smithing or instructing. Yes, the prices are as low as a store can get without taking a beating and there is almost always someone in the store that can answer technical issues/concerns.

Come in early on a Sunday and just hang out a while. It's a diverse group and serves as a place to "catch up" with fellow serious shooters.

There is a nice selection, but not like that found at Target Sports or Guns Galore but unless you're unsafe and not willing to learn you'll probably not find a more hospitable crew. For instance, if things are not too busy I'll spend whatever time is needed for new shooters. I also offer to field strip and lube newly purchased pistols for those who are new to firearms. If they purchase and shoot I offer to clean and lube them before they leave.

There is a ton of Glock and Sig parts and two 'smiths frequent the place and there are three persons there who can do minor work on Glocks, Sigs & troubleshoot others.

I know each will have their own relationships/likes and dislikes, but I think you'll like the jovial atmosphere (it could actually be a reality show on Showtime when "the crew" is all present).

See you on the weekend.
Old 11-16-2007, 17:21   #57
who_dat
NRA Member

Interesting thread

I saw Jay's in Clare and I agree, but the prices are about 10 to 15 % higher than most. Also saw Gary's in Muskegon and I like that store as well. I got one of my guns there and like their prices, selection, and people.

Most of my business goes to Port City Pistols in Muskegon. Great prices, but a little limited in store selection. Greg will order anything you want, and the prices are still better than any I've seen anywhere. They have an indoor range, CPL classes, and long hours. Give it a try.
Port City Pistols
4250 Airline Rd.
Muskegon, MI
231-830-8100
SKS Club #94 Kahr Club #94, Kalishnikov Club #94
who_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 17:31   #58
hakuin

Send a message via AIM to hakuin
For those who appreciated the gunsmithing service previously at Classic Arms, that guy (Big Dave) has opened his own gunshop in BATH (dowtown) as of last month. He's been running the biz under the name Sportsman's Tackle, but his new FFL will change that name. I'll get you the new name as soon as I talk to him Monday.

He's located at 13630 Main St (suite D-around in the back) Bath, MI 48808
(517) 641-4979 is the current phone # I have. With Dave gone from Classic, I have no more reason to cross their threshold...my business will go to Mr. Dave Nickols, now.

Dave is a former LEO and very honorable individual.

Brian
hakuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 13:58   #59
hakuin

Send a message via AIM to hakuin
Follow-up to my post of 12-2:

The new business name is MID-MICHIGAN GUNS & GEAR.
The address and phone # remain the same.
hakuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:45   #60
JonShoup

Shooter's Choice on E. Main (off Sprinkle Rd) in Kzoo is a great place to visit. Bob is a great guy and, along with swapping stories til the sun goes down, he will get you anything you want at a great price. His in-store gun selection is unimpressive, but if you know what you want he's the guy to get it. Also, he has a great holster selection and the best knife display in atleast 2 counties (not that he has much competition in this area). His info is as follows:

Shooters Choice
3738 E. Main St
Kalamazoo, Mi
(269) 345-2225
Old 02-24-2008, 09:06   #61
TAC-GLOCK

Found a new one in S.E. Michigan:

DETROIT ARMS, LLC
31733 23 Mile Rd, Bldg. B
Chesterfield, MI 48047

Jim & Doreen Hankins
586-598-5300
www.DetroitArms.com
Sales@DetroitArms.com

I stopped in last week. It's a small family run business with a very friendly, helpful attitude (nice for a change). They are starting out and inventory is modest, but they're very eager to order what you need at vary fair prices. They also take guns on consignment for 10% which is really nice!

Stop by, check them out!
TAC-GLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 21:59   #62
karttu

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
Northwoods Trading Post aka Freeman's Firearms
Hancock, MI (Keweenaw Penninsula)

Very good selection of defensive handguns for the area. Rick is a cool guy and pleasure to work with. $30 HG xfers; he xfered my Para from gunbroker. Good selection of firearms. Carries Sig, Beretta, Glock, Springer, Colt, S&W, Taurus, Kel-Tec, Kahr, Ruger, and Magnum Research (singles and the package deals). Also carries Armalite AR-50s..
+++1 on freemans
karttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:47   #63
SquareRound

ON TARGET in Kalamazoo just plain sucks. High prices, won't do a transfer unless he can't get what you looking for. Sales staff needs alot of help with knowledge of what they are selling. Must have been the day but I know what happen to the three stooges, won't be back.

SHOOTERS CHOICE, my kind of shop. Good people and excellent service and prices.

Last edited by SquareRound; 05-04-2008 at 12:51..
SquareRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:37   #64
Generalcarry
NRA Member

How about these:
http://www.cpltrainer.com/gunlist.html
Old 07-19-2008, 23:03   #65
SithSpawn
My saber is red

I have always like Double Action. Granted its been a few years since I have been there, because I moved to Lansing. The prices were a bit higher then, but I always got great service, and was never talked down to, made to feel like I was intruding, or stuck with a gunshop commando. Guns Galore had great prices, but god help you if you wanted to see a couple of pistols, it was like you were interupting their day. And now that Im in Lansing, I tried Total, and I agree that the range officer is a tool. Also they wanted $75 to do a transfer!! I laughed and hung up the phone.
SithSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:53   #66
BKG-22

Silver Bullet in Grand Rapids - hands down (and no, I don't work there nor have any relationship to the business or thier owners/employees). They have a good selection, great folks to work with, and I still don't understand how they can be so much cheaper that other LARGER shops that are closer to me. From Glocks, to Sigs, handguns to AR's, they save me more money than it takes the extra gas to get there.

I should also add it is a very nice, professional place of business that I am not afraid to have the wife and kids come in with me if I need to make a quick stop. I can't say that for some of the shops that are closer to me to the south.

I have to drive 45 minutes to get there but it is worth the drive... period!

Edit: didn't want ot mention names, but SqaureRound (above) hits the nail on the head!
Old 10-12-2008, 12:17   #67
BKG-22

I have lived in SW Michigan for 20+ years and have never been to Shooters Choice in Kalamazoo. Will have to stop by.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Gary's Guns in Muskegon. As previously described, it is definitely a "mom & pop" looking operation, but I was very impressed. I have only been there once and did not buy anything (was just looking/checking them out). But they were very friendly, had a good selection, and prices seemed to be average if not slightly lower than average (which is good). Definitely cheaper than what folks have to deal with in Kalamazoo.
Old 10-16-2008, 19:59   #68
Sheepdog

Please add:

Five-O Distributors, Inc.
6784 Allen Road
Allen Park, MI 48101
Website
Phone: (313) 382-COPS (2677)

Specializing in LE equipment and firearms

Note: Five-O Distributors, Inc. is open to law enforcement, active military, and public safety officials only. Department/Agency ID is required for many items in the store, including LE priced firearms.

www.five-odistributors.com
(313) 382 COPS

Last edited by 60259; 10-17-2008 at 04:01.. Reason: Add note.
60259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 20:13   #69
EandE

Duncan's Outdoor Shop, Bay City

300-400 handguns on display plus long guns, indoor pistol and rifle ranges, onsite gunsmithing, GSSF indoor match range, Glock Days with the Glock matches. Great place to play
EandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 13:59   #70
The Chairman
Crusty Member

Anyone know anything about Point Blank shooting range and gun shop in Benton Harbor, MI?
Old 03-22-2009, 20:53   #71
Harmzway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbell View Post
You can add:

Silver Bullet Firearms
(616)249-1911
http://www.silverbulletfirearms.com
5121 S. Division
Wyoming, MI 49548
I will NEVER go back to silver bullet again. I have bought a few fire arms from them as well as several holsters and ammo. however, after my last pistol purchase, I finally had enough of the "I know way more than you ever will or could" attitude i recieved from all but the gunsmith and 1 retiree named Pete.
I couldint ask for my preferred brand of ammo with out getting snyde remarks and moreover, was wicked pissed when My Wife called me in tears over the way She was treated when she bought CCI Stingers for home defense. (She is just starting out and that is all she is comfortable shooting at the moment.)
I now spend ALL of my gun and ammo money at a small shop in Muskegon.(port city pistol)
the day that silver bullet goes under, I will gleefully mitriate on the doors.
Old 03-28-2009, 20:09   #72
AITruckGuy
NRA Life member

I'll agree with two: Gary's Guns in Muskegon is first rate. I ordered an FN P-9 from him the day before New Year's Eve two years ago. He had it the next day, and charged me $20 less than anyplace else I could find.

MI Police Supply is also A-1. Dave takes care of me on everything I need: from an extra magazine to a new G-17 I get the same good treatment.

I'm sorry to read that the above poster had a bad experience at the Silver Bullet. The place is first class in every way, but a little pricier than Gary's. I did meet one employee (retired, old grouch) that was a PITA. Every one else has been first class. The two men that own the place work hard to treat people fairly - if you take your complaint to Doug or Rick I'm sure thay would want to hear about it.
AITruckGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 15:30   #73
NFEDERIC

I go to Port City Pistol in Muskegon all the time! Its nice that it's on my way home and that its open till 8 during the week. I like Gary's alot as well, although his hours make it so I can't go there very often.. Peggy and Gary are definately first rate and Greg and Mark at Port City are Excellent as well!! For both shops being alot smaller than others might be used to, the customer service at both shops is beyond amazing! If you haven't been to either, you owe it to yourself to check them out some time!
NFEDERIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 14:04   #74
COBO19

I bought my G19 and my S/W 325 PD from Target Sports in Royal Oak, they seem ok to me, am I missing something
BEWARE THE FURY OF A PATIENT MAN -Dryden
COBO19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09   #75
November Sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenia View Post
I don't know squat but I met this guy when I visited Total. I am a woman and I figured I was treated as I was for that reason. I know a jerk when I see them and this guy sure was. Now, normally, I put a guy like that down a peg or two from the get go. Instead, I just put up with him. I also paid for the full hour of range time... when I only wanted to test a G-19 and shot only 10 rounds!

I could have used the full hour... just for fun, but I didn't want to stay there. I just had a bad feeling about the place. Besides, they guy wanted me to sign up for $75 an hour private lessons. I can assure you.... this woman knows a thing or two about characters... no way was I going to go out of my way to spend alone time with him.

No one has mentioned Schupbachs in Jackson. After I bought my gun from Michigan Police Equipment Co. in Lansing, I went there for some ammunition and other supplies. I made a comment to them that I had bought the Glock but never had them show me how to clean it and I was a newby. I said I read on line how to do it, read the manual but still couldn't do it. The man had me bring my gun in and spent over 30 minutes with me helping me learn how to take the slide off. (I thought I had lack of hand strength but after he lubed it... I had no trouble.) No charge! Now, THAT is a Gentleman with a capital "G".

I can attest to Schupbachs as well. They have a lot of knowledge in their staff and have a ton of firearms on hand as well. I buy some type of item from them almost weekly. Yea, I can get some general items for a few cents cheaper from walmart but the service is worth the extra pennies. They are also the largest Mathews dealer in the NATION if your into archery.
Schupbachs Sporting Goods
141 West Pearl
Jackson, Mi 49201
517-782-8418
November Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote