Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:59   #1
DeadMansLife

Safe Mode

Is there any way to force a PC into safe mode without a restart?

I still cannot boot into safe mode on my XPHome. Everything is backed-up but I'd rather not do a full restore at this point and cannot restore to an earlier working state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
[/B] *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DeadMansLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 13:49   #2
Washington,D.C.

These are best directions I know

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Also some instructions here

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winx...exfullpage.htm
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 14:29   #3
DeadMansLife

Thanks DC

It looks like I am going to have to do a full restore, I don't have an XP cd. This system came from HP with a preload partition.

[/B] *
Old 12-23-2005, 15:22   #4
Washington,D.C.

Okay I'm not sure how that restores without a cd but I've heard of it.You can download 6 floppies from microsoft and you don't need the XP cd.May be able to put the floppies on a cd.
Old 12-23-2005, 15:31   #5
Washington,D.C.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994
Old 12-23-2005, 17:19   #6
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Okay I'm not sure how that restores without a cd but I've heard of it.
I just did a system restore on a friends HP computer. Itís painless Ö you go to PC Help and Tools folder on the Start Menu and select HP PC System Recovery and follow the prompts. You have the option to do a complete recovery which formats the user partition or a recovery that only reinstalls the OS and all of the applications and claims that you will not loose any data.

The HP recovery works in two parts; first it formatted the partition and installed the OS. After a reboot you go through the "Windows first time ... " MS license, time zone, user name etc ... Second you get a HP screen with a count down clock (9:40) where it installs all of the trash (read ...HP software) ... it took 22 minutes and two reboots.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 12:40   #7
DeadMansLife

DC,

I can get an XPH CD from a friend. Will my product key work with it if I do a full install?

[/B] *

Last edited by DeadMansLife; 12-26-2005 at 12:46..
Old 12-26-2005, 13:14   #8
Washington,D.C.

If it's the same kind of Windows XP.I'm not even sure if you need product key for just a repair install.
Old 12-26-2005, 13:15   #9
Washington,D.C.

There are different XP home CD's."Retail",OEM and brand name.
Old 12-26-2005, 13:26   #10
DeadMansLife

I'm not sure which it is. He got it when he took his pc to have it repaired and upgraded. It is a full ver., not the upgrade ver. I am not sure if the repair shop used an OEM or retail. He did give him a CD with it that was still sealed.

[/B] *
Old 12-26-2005, 13:28   #11
DeadMansLife

I am thinking if I can use my prod. key with his full ver CD, I may just do a full install and wipe out the HP preload.

[/B] *
Old 12-26-2005, 14:25   #12
Washington,D.C.

Try a repair install first.If his CD is an OEM and not HP your product key may or may not work.
Old 12-27-2005, 19:06   #13
DeadMansLife

Thanks DC, I ended up doing a full restore anyway. Could not get his CD for the next 2 weeks.

[/B] *