Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-25-2005, 00:55   #1
Code7AT
Get Some

Send a message via Yahoo to Code7AT
Firefox vs IE

I hear a lot of discussion about the two. Which is best to run and why?

FYI I have a desktop running from a DSL cable and a laptop running wireless. Thanks

Mike

RIP Howie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
RIP Earl
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18147
Code7AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:12   #2
funbob
do a lil' dance

Send a message via ICQ to funbob
Tabbed browsing, better integrated pop-up blocking, RSS support, and the ultra cool extensions feature (Adblock is about the coolest thing ever invented) make Firefox the superior browser for me. With the exception of the rare site that doesn't display properly in IE, Firefox is where it's at. There's even an extension to embed IE inside Firefox so now I don't have to open IE for anything anymore.
funbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:33   #3
ShipWreck
FN & HK Fanatic

I used Firefox for a year, but just switched to Opera. It has the same features as Firefox, but is a bit faster. It took me an hour or so to mess w/ all the settings to have the interface look like I wanted. But after that, good to go.
ShipWreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:41   #4
BNSF
228th suxs big

I am with fox now, but where do I get Opera and what makes it faster?
BNSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:50   #5
funbob
do a lil' dance

http://www.opera.com/

It's a nice browser but doesn't fill any particular need for me. It renders pages a bit faster and has a novel voice command feature.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:15   #6
hwyhobo

Tried Opera, couldn't get used to the interface, went back to Firefox. I would never consider using IE. Besides reasons mentioned already by funbob, here are two more:

1. My eyes are not what they used to be, and I increase the font size on many sites. IE frequently fails to do so depending on site design. Firefox also does what I ask.

2. When I enter a URL in IE, and it fails (say, I misspelled it), it immediately goes to some other place, even if I figure out what happened and hit Esc. I can't just edit the wrong URL, I have to enter the whole darned thing again. It drives me CRAZY. In Firefox, I can just edit the wrong URL.
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:29   #7
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

I don't use it myself, but for those that like IE, but want a lot of the features Firefox has...download Avant.

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

I never cared much for Opera, but have heard its gotten tons better the last few years since I've used it.

Frankly, it all comes down to preference. Stay away from IE and try one of these three and see which one you like best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:13   #8
ShipWreck
FN & HK Fanatic

I messed w/ Opera's settings, and basially it looks like Firefox now. I like it
ShipWreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:18   #9
BNSF
228th suxs big

Damn!

How many browsers are out there? MS things really suck and sometimes they annoy me just like AOL

Can someone compile the list?
Old 12-25-2005, 15:03   #10
hwyhobo

Well, if we're going to list all the browsers, let's not forget lynx for those who don't care for graphics and want something scary fast. ;P

Despite what some may think, it is a very practical browser for those who cary large html distributions of text files with hyperlinks. Makes a perfect browser for that. And, of course, for those who occasionally find themselves at a shell prompt and need quick access to the web.
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 16:00   #11
funbob
do a lil' dance

ahhhh, Lynx. Brings me back to the days of 2400 baud modems, 286 processors, and 40MB hard drives. Good times.

Opera has a mode to emulate Lynx BTW.

Tech Talk

Last edited by funbob; 12-25-2005 at 16:20..
Old 12-25-2005, 18:03   #12
Ljunatic
On The Fringe

I have a couple of older machines running win98se and was having a tough time with Firefox and it's memory leak.

After browsing for an hour or so , I would have to close and restart the browser due to using all of the memory available and running very slowly.

Opera runs much faster on these older machines an does not have a problem with memory, plus it renders pages faster.
I can set it up similar to FF, but it does not have the extensions available.

I will probably try Firefox again when I upgrade my hardware
Ljunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 20:50   #13
BNSF
228th suxs big

I once had a Zeos with a 486dx2 brain in it. I upgraded the HD to a 400 mb and I thought that was huge. Now I think 300 GB is small ;Q
Old 12-25-2005, 21:09   #14
heat762
Infidel Member

+1 Avante Browser

Mucho Faster than Firefox
Old 12-25-2005, 21:13   #15
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I tried Myie2(I think thats what it was), said it was 100% compatible with sites that wont' work with Firefox,etc, and it was, but the browser just sucked.

I'll never go back to IE, and I'm perfectly content with Firefox

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 21:48   #16
UtahIrishman
BLR

I've used Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera and Firefox and a few other off the wall ones that I can't remember. Firefox hands down particularly since the upgrade to 1.5. I don't know how I got along without tabbed browsing and RSS before.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:01   #17
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

Quote:
Originally posted by hwyhobo
Well, if we're going to list all the browsers, let's not forget lynx for those who don't care for graphics and want something scary fast. ;P

Despite what some may think, it is a very practical browser for those who cary large html distributions of text files with hyperlinks. Makes a perfect browser for that. And, of course, for those who occasionally find themselves at a shell prompt and need quick access to the web.

Ha, I was actually thinking of mentioning that one.

cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 20:52   #18
ERASER
Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

I really like Firefox. I only have two minor gripes with it:

1.) In the bookmark toolbar my home computer (XP, if it matters)has "Latest Headlines" but my work computer (Windows 2000) and my girlfriend's computer (XP) don't have that feature. I cannot find out how to acquire it.

2.) I tried to add Wikipedia to the search engine pull-down menu and all it left was a blank space. I can't figure out how to delete it either.
ERASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 21:54   #19
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

One of the worst "features" of IE, imho, is the autosearch. Sometimes I'll type in a URL exactly and the browser will reroute me to MS' search page. There listed on the page is the exact site I want, with the EXACT same URL as I had originally entered.

Besides that, Firefox is great because:

1. Tabbed browsing. Firefox did it first, Firefox does it best.
2. When I hit stop, Firefox stops. IE tends to want to load that stupid html page telling me that the action was cancelled. OF COURSE IT WAS CANCELLED!!! I hit 'stop'. What's even worse is that with Firefox I can hit stop and immediately type in a URL; however, when I do so with IE the 'action cancelled' page loads and the focus moves from the address bar to the page.
Old 12-28-2005, 22:42   #20
9mm Luger
GLOCK 26

Firefox is my favorite browser much faster than IE, more secure, pop ups are almost eliminated. The tabbed browsing is great, along with the hundreds of themes and extentions that can be added on. You can customize the browser how you want it to look, I think Forecastfox has to be my favorite addon.

I have tried Opera and Avant and never could get used to them.
Any of these is still a way better option than Internet Exploder.
Niner's Club #821 Rimfire Club #821
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
9mm Luger is offline   Reply With Quote