SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-25-2005, 15:51   #1
ashley
anti roast beef

problems with new monitor...

i just got a dell E176FP monitor for christmas and it's really irritating me. for some reason the screen is very jittery. i've tried changing the refresh rate, the resolution, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, different power sorces, etc. it works fine on our computer upstairs (windows 98 upstairs, i'm running windows xp).

what else can i try? i called dell tech support but since it's not the actual monitor, and i because i'm using a gateway desktop, they won't help. i can't call gateway because i no longer have access to their tech support. i've also searched the dell forums and tried everything there.

i'm assuming two things. either the breaker i'm on in my room sucks and there some interference or my computer just doesn't like this monitor for some reason.

what else can i try?

- ashley
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 16:08   #2
Froggy_131
Bubblehead

Re: problems with new monitor...

Unshielded speakers can do that to a monitor - happened to me. I just had to relocate the speakers away from the monitor.

Quote:
Originally posted by ashley
i just got a dell E176FP monitor for christmas and it's really irritating me. for some reason the screen is very jittery. i've tried changing the refresh rate, the resolution, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, different power sorces, etc. it works fine on our computer upstairs (windows 98 upstairs, i'm running windows xp).

what else can i try? i called dell tech support but since it's not the actual monitor, and i because i'm using a gateway desktop, they won't help. i can't call gateway because i no longer have access to their tech support. i've also searched the dell forums and tried everything there.

i'm assuming two things. either the breaker i'm on in my room sucks and there some interference or my computer just doesn't like this monitor for some reason.

what else can i try?

- ashley
Froggy_131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 16:12   #3
ashley
anti roast beef

Re: Re: problems with new monitor...

Quote:
Originally posted by Froggy_131
Unshielded speakers can do that to a monitor - happened to me. I just had to relocate the speakers away from the monitor.
han't thought of that but i just unplugged them and no luck. the tv is unplugged too.

- ashley
Old 12-25-2005, 16:24   #4
nognig

Is it a LCD monitor (flat screen) or a CRT (regular old tube) monitor?

If it's a regular old monitor, you might want to move it to a new location and try it again.

A friend had the same problem and it turned out that on the other side of the wall from his monitor was a panel of circuit breakers. The 60 Hz frequency of the power lines caused a weird jittery, waving effect on the screen.

If it's LCD, then I've go no freakin' idea what could cause that.

NN
nognig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 16:26   #5
nognig

Re: Re: Re: problems with new monitor...

Quote:
Originally posted by ashley
han't thought of that but i just unplugged them and no luck. the tv is unplugged too.

- ashley
You might want to try moving them. It's the permanent magnet in the speakers that causes the screen to mess up, so unplugging won't fix it. I've never seen a speaker cause a screen to "jitter" usually it just messes up the colors.

NN
nognig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 16:30   #6
funbob
do a lil' dance

Send a message via ICQ to funbob
Anything else near it that could be generating noise? Other common culprits are desk fans, GSM cell phones, fluorescent lights, high draw appliances on the same circuit, such as microwaves and fridges, can also cause problems. Assuming you're not using the integrated video, try swapping video cards to rule that out. Have you tried using the monitor from the upstairs computer? Does it do that same thing?

Last edited by funbob; 12-25-2005 at 16:33..
funbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 16:42   #7
ashley
anti roast beef

it's an LCD.

my cell phone isn't the culprit. there are some flourescent lights, will i actually have to take them out? i've tried just turning them off.

i just moved the speakers and tv about 10 feet away, still nothing. how far should i be moving these things? this is insane.

the fridge is upstairs, on the same circut, and the washer and dry are about 15-18 feet away on a completely different circut.

ohh and for whatever reason it gets worse when i actually use my mouse.

- ashley
Old 12-25-2005, 16:44   #8
funbob
do a lil' dance

oh, if it's an LCD, than none of that applies. They aren't affected by RF noise the way CRT's are. We just made you move a bunch of stuff for nothing ;f. I have no clue what could be causing the problem. My guess is some sort of problem with the video hardware in that computer.
Old 12-25-2005, 16:45   #9
ashley
anti roast beef

Quote:
Originally posted by funbob
Anything else near it that could be generating noise? Other common culprits are desk fans, GSM cell phones, fluorescent lights, high draw appliances on the same circuit, such as microwaves and fridges, can also cause problems. Assuming you're not using the integrated video, try swapping video cards to rule that out. Have you tried using the monitor from the upstairs computer? Does it do that same thing?
i haven't tried switching video cards, i have no idea where they are located and what i would have to do to get my stepdads to work on my computer.

i had a CRT and had no problems with it.

- ashley
Old 12-25-2005, 16:45   #10
ashley
anti roast beef

Quote:
oh, if it's an LCD, than none of that applies. They aren't affected by RF noise the way CRT's are. I have no clue what could be causing the problem. My guess is some sort of problem with the video hardware in that computer.

lol, okay.

- ashley
Old 12-25-2005, 16:46   #11
funbob
do a lil' dance

What are the model numbers of the computers in question?
Old 12-25-2005, 16:56   #12
ashley
anti roast beef

Quote:
What are the model numbers of the computers in question?
the computer is from gateway. i'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but the sticker on the back says ATXSTF FED performance 800. i got it in 2000 and there's been a lot of changes to it but i've never touched the video card. the monitor is a dell E176FP.

- ashley
Old 12-25-2005, 17:01   #13
Washington,D.C.

What version of Windows?98?2000?ME?XP?
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 17:02   #14
ashley
anti roast beef

Quote:
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
What version of Windows?98?2000?ME?XP?
ohh i'm running xp and upstairs where the thing works were running 98.

- ashley
Old 12-25-2005, 17:03   #15
Washington,D.C.

That model PC has the Intel (r) 82815 Graphics Controller unless a seperate video card came with it.
Old 12-25-2005, 17:05   #16
Washington,D.C.

Okay so the problem is with Windows XP?Home or Pro?Should be fairly easy to sort out now.
Old 12-25-2005, 17:09   #17
ashley
anti roast beef

Quote:
That model PC has the Intel (r) 82815 Graphics Controller unless a seperate video card came with it.
i have no idea if a seperate video card came with it but when i check the display that's what it says (Intel (r) 82815 Graphics Controller).

- ashley
Old 12-25-2005, 17:09   #18
ashley
anti roast beef

Quote:
Okay so the problem is with Windows XP?Home or Pro?Should be fairly easy to sort out now.
home.

- ashley
Old 12-25-2005, 17:11   #19
Washington,D.C.

Latest XP home video drivers from Intel here

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...5&submit=Go%21
Old 12-25-2005, 17:12   #20
funbob
do a lil' dance

Does the monitor plug directly into the back of the computer or does it plug in towards the bottom where the expansion cards would go? My research indicates this line of PC's was available with a TNT2 M64 video card, which was not a particularly good card, even back in its day. Flickering was not an uncommon problem with this card and I'm currently looking for fixes.