SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:25   #1
jhun

Newbie wanting to try....

Hi Sirs,

I am a newbie wanting to try shooting as a hobby. Will I be accommodated here if my purpose is to look for advice & meet new buddies?

Still undecided what to buy, but I am leaning towards a Glock (biglang bumaba kasi...sa buy and sell plus nga merong akong nakita brand new for 30k). A couple of people are saying that before I get one, I must attend seminars or kung ano man yun, just to be familiar with the responsibility of having one. Bali ang analogy nila dito is bago ka bumili ng auto dapat marunong or matutu kang magmaneho.

tama ba tong napuntahan ko?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jhun; 12-28-2005 at 02:32..
jhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:11   #2
bokbok_05

Welcome to BoG!!!;F . Of course...tama ang napuntahan mo. Newbie din ako and I will let the veteran/seasoned shooters to give you pointers and advices. Goodluck!
bokbok_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:29   #3
toxic

;F to BOG's , you've come to the right place , maraming experts, masters and very good advisers dito(im not one of them ,i consider myself as a newbie parin)before you post any question or answer any question in a thread, Read the STICKY first just to be aware of the do's and the donts and do a forum search also para di paulit ulit mga questions from newbies like us.;f
Try to browse here http://glocktalk.gunserver.com/forum...d=80&x=11&y=13 again;F you'll learn a lot here.

Last edited by toxic; 12-28-2005 at 03:32..
toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:33   #4
Django

;F Welcome Jhun;F

If you have the time, browse thru the previous threads of the BOGs. You'll find it's a treasure trove of info on shooting, FA's and what not which can help.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:55   #5
Kiddo

;F to BOG! Most guys here shoot 1911s either in 40cal std, or open. Glock is a good choice, especially for self defense, or production div. If you choose Glock, I suggest 9mm since ammo is cheaper and you wont have the lead problems with .40 Glocks. If you choose to shoot IPSC style, there are a lot of masters in the game here. Just browse around and enjoy! ;f
Kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:02   #6
batangueno
Shock Resist

Know and follow the 4 Rules of Gun Safety, watch shooting competitions, practice and practice, and you'll be fine.

;F
batangueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:26   #7
Pepe308
Noypi

;F sir!!! I leave the advise and suggestions to the experts around here, enjoy!!!

Band of Glockers #308
Pepe308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:45   #8
mikey177
Remember

Re: Newbie wanting to try....

Quote:
Originally posted by jhun
A couple of people are saying that before I get one, I must attend seminars or kung ano man yun, just to be familiar with the responsibility of having one.
Aside from attending seminars and reading up on gun safety and proper gun handling, you should also try getting the feel of different makes and models of firearms, both pistols and revolvers. See which type/model fits your hand the best and which you are most comfortable handling. Do lots of research before you buy, and feel free to ask questions IF you have already searched through the forums and still not found the information you need. Happy reading
mikey177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:37   #9
vega

Hi jhun,
Welcome to the forum!
They must have meant Basic Handgun Safety Seminar
which is one of the requirements in owning any FA.

And mura na pala ng Glock dyan, pero don't get it because of the
price. Try handling different FAs. Anyway if you buy what you decide now, everyone knows that it will not stop there. You just got to have one of everything, or two.

Goodluck with your choice.

vega
BOG #005
vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:46   #10
casmot
Re membered

Quote:
Originally posted by bokbok_05
...I will let the veteran/seasoned shooters to give you pointers and advices. Goodluck!

Originally posted by toxic
...you've come to the right place , maraming experts, masters and very good advisers dito

Originally posted by Pepe308
;F sir!!! I leave the advise and suggestions to the experts around here, enjoy!!!
ok, ok... nandito na ako, the resident EXPERT!~2 Ask away! What do you want to know, jhun? Love life? Sex? Anything? Just ask and I'll PM those BoGs who know the answer. ;f ;f ;f Kidding aside, ;F to BoGs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiddo
Most guys here shoot 1911s either in 40cal std, or open.
Hindi naman. Only those who were called to the dark side shoots an open gun. A number of BoGs still competes using a Glock or other production guns.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:45   #11
jerrytrini

Welcome to the Forum. Ask away and most of us if not all will respond right away.
jerrytrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 18:18   #12
Eye Cutter

if its going to be a your only pistol, a glock 17 will be an excellent choice for competition and for self-defense purposes.

but if you plan to change later, huwag ka na mag glock, save your money and go straight to a 1911 platform in .40 cal.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:13   #13
antediluvianist

fingering it

Welcome, Jhun.

Pare, are you aware that the Glock does not have an external safety? In other words, you must have very good discipline in where you put your finger (sexy, no?) and when (when she's breathing heavily.) Seriously, for a newbie this no-external-safety and fairly-light-short-pull-Glock-trigger could be a problem.

In fact, as a newbie, you might want to get a gun with a safety first. The 1911 .40 or .45 will be fine for that, as others have recomended.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:25   #14
jhun

Thank you all for your warm welcome & I hope to see you all when the time comes!!

The truth is I haven’t made up my mind yet on what to get (although I am leaning more on G26)…my objective is to have a new hobby & for home defense na rin syempre…nothing serious like joining a competition or something, that is why I choose 9mm as the caliber at hinde 45…pero malay natin matuwa ako ng husto…..at tsaka sub kasi maliit lang kamay ko.

Yesterday, after office, I fired my first 50 rounds using the CZ75 house gun of Jethros’ range @ MCS. Nagalay right shoulder ko…hehehe.
According to the range officer, the stance should be left leg forward; right leg backward (if you’re right handed) & the left arm should be slightly higher than your right arm. Before when my friend was still here (he is now in Canada), I used to dry fire his 1911 & he told me that the proper stance was both leg should be spread apart approximately shoulders width and to slightly lean forward…I am guessing both stance are correct?? One more thing I have notice is that since pasmado ako..yung dulo nung baril nanginginig…..meron kayang remedyo yun?

Thanks again!!

BTW…saying naka filter sa work ko tong website (we are using websence) ….kung hinde sana mas madalas akong makakapasyal dito.

Last edited by jhun; 12-30-2005 at 05:47..
Old 12-30-2005, 05:57   #15
batangueno
Shock Resist

Try to acces GlockTalk through www.aritah.com , you might get through your office filter.
batangueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:53   #16
vega

If you're planning to compete in the future G26 is not the way to go. Get either compacts or full-size. G26, G19 and G17 all have the same grip diameter, mas maliit lang ang lenght ng G26. If you can grip a 26, you can grip all Glocks except 45s and 10s.

Happy New Year to all!

vega
BOG #005
vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:42   #17
theTactician

welcome.:-)
if you choose a glock, then you've made a wise choice. no disrespect to 1911 fans but for me, even though im also a 1911 fan myself and an HK fan as well, for me, in my opinion, glocks are the best.
Old 12-30-2005, 18:13   #18
kamelot

Quote:
)…my objective is to have a new hobby & for home defense na rin syempre…nothing serious like joining a competition or something, that is why I choose 9mm as the caliber at hinde 45…pero malay natin matuwa ako ng husto…..at tsaka sub kasi maliit lang kamay ko.

the stance should be left leg forward; right leg backward (if you’re right handed) & the left arm should be slightly higher than your right arm. Before when my friend was still here (he is now in Canada), I used to dry fire his 1911 & he told me that the proper stance was both leg should be spread apart approximately shoulders width and to slightly lean forward…I am guessing both stance are correct?? One more thing I have notice is that since pasmado ako..yung dulo nung baril nanginginig…..meron kayang remedyo yun?

Thanks again!!

The books say that the 9mm bullet travels faster(greater velocity) than the 45 cal bullet. As such, it can easily penetrate walls as compared to the .45 cal. You should consider this fact when you use the 9mm for home defense.

The MCS guy must be talking about the Weaver stance. Most of the guys I see (as I was trained since 1982) use the Isosceles stance and variants thereof (like your Canadian based friend). I believe the latter is more "action" friendly.
kamelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:12   #19
toxic

Quote:
BTW…saying naka filter sa work ko tong website (we are using websence) ….kung hinde sana mas madalas akong makakapasyal dito. [/B]
nakawebsence din ako try this:
http://hk54.gunserver.com/register.php?action=signup
http://hk54.gunserver.com/forums/
Old 01-03-2006, 11:46   #20
jhun

Thanks! nakalusot na ko sa filter using yung hk54