SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:25   #1
BikerRN

Send a message via AIM to BikerRN
Short Term Mod

OK all, until I can scrounge up the $3,000 for the 750 kit I'm putting a 14 Tooth front sprocket on my Multistrada 620.

I'll lose some top end speed, but it should be better in the twisties and on the highway. Has anyone done this? Happy New Year and stay safe.
BikerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:26   #2
xrmattaz

On most every chain-driven motorbike I've owned, I went one tooth smaller on the front. Never less than 15 teeth though....I think better to go two/three bigger on the back end (less wear on chain/sprockets).

You will lose a few MPH top end, and obviously higher revs throughout....adds to the "fun factor" though!
G17Gen4,G19,20SF,21SF,21Gen4,23Gen2,38,39

Last edited by xrmattaz; 12-31-2005 at 05:29..
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:23   #3
c5367
Esq.

Send a message via AIM to c5367
As I mentioned oin the other thread, I did it with a Monster 620. No, you will not lose any top speed, and no, it does not substantially increase chain wear, provided you clean and lube it at appropriate intervals. You will run approximately 400rpm higher at a given speed, though.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:06   #4
BikerRN

Thnak you c5367 an xrmattaz.

I'm looking forward to doing it. It seems like a good short term fix that if I like I may keep as a full-time fix.

Happy New Year. ;c
Old 12-31-2005, 13:09   #5
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The 14 front sprocket COUPLED with the big bore kit will make that Multistrada haul ass. Sweet!!!

Next thing you know, it'd be Biturbo suspensions front and rear...
Old 12-31-2005, 14:09   #6
xrmattaz

That's just silly. Of course you'll lose a bit of "top speed", as redline will come sooner.

I've owned exactly sixty eight motorcycles in my life, most of 'em chain driven....I'll firmly stand by my "no less than 15 teeth" concerning sprockets. Less than 15 and the chain has to negotiate just too much "bend" to get around that little sprocket. Will you notice the increased drivetrain wear?? Of course not! But the drivetrain will wear out sooner than it will running larger sprockets.....that's just simple engineering stuff!

Same/same for my fixed geared bicycles....but they don't get less than 16 teeth out back. I've snapped many a chain by running 13-15 tooth fixie bicycle rear ends!

Quote:
Originally posted by c5367
As I mentioned oin the other thread, I did it with a Monster 620. No, you will not lose any top speed, and no, it does not substantially increase chain wear, provided you clean and lube it at appropriate intervals. You will run approximately 400rpm higher at a given speed, though.
Old 12-31-2005, 14:36   #7
c5367
Esq.

Quote:
Originally posted by xrmattaz
That's just silly. Of course you'll lose a bit of "top speed", as redline will come sooner.

I've owned exactly sixty eight motorcycles in my life, most of 'em chain driven....I'll firmly stand by my "no less than 15 teeth" concerning sprockets. Less than 15 and the chain has to negotiate just too much "bend" to get around that little sprocket. Will you notice the increased drivetrain wear?? Of course not! But the drivetrain will wear out sooner than it will running larger sprockets.....that's just simple engineering stuff!

Same/same for my fixed geared bicycles....but they don't get less than 16 teeth out back. I've snapped many a chain by running 13-15 tooth fixie bicycle rear ends!

Thats assuming you can hit redline in top gear. I have used a 14 and a 15 on a bike with the same exact motor as his. Top end is limited by aero and hp in that particular machine, not gearing. As is, the multistrada 620, if only gearing were considered, should hit an indicated top speed (actual speed plus 7%. Ducati speedos are usually 7-10% generous) of 144 at 10k (if memory serves, that is the redline for the 618 2v desmo motors.) With a 14t, the max theoretical indicated speed will be 135. If his mulitstrada will not currently exceed 135 with the 15t, then he will not lose any top end with the 14t.

Again, with the 14t v. 15t on chain wear, theoretically it will cause it to wear faster. However, the difference in wear rates is negligable. In fact, the stock Ducati 749 runs a 14t cs sprocket. The added hp from the big bore kit would put more wear on the chain than switching the sprocket.

I totally agree with bicyle chains. They aren't made to nearly the same specs as moto chains.

Last edited by c5367; 12-31-2005 at 14:41..
c5367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 15:24   #8
xrmattaz

Excellent comeback! Guess I'm just used to the Japanese fours that often saw redline in top gear.....

I currently ride a '03 BMW K12LT and a nice old '86 Guzzi V65TT....neither of them ever see such excessive speed!

Case closed. I really didn't know Ducati offered a 14 tooth CS sprocket anyway! Ride on.

Quote:
Originally posted by c5367
Thats assuming you can hit redline in top gear. I have used a 14 and a 15 on a bike with the same exact motor as his. Top end is limited by aero and hp in that particular machine, not gearing. As is, the multistrada 620, if only gearing were considered, should hit an indicated top speed (actual speed plus 7%. Ducati speedos are usually 7-10% generous) of 144 at 10k (if memory serves, that is the redline for the 618 2v desmo motors.) With a 14t, the max theoretical indicated speed will be 135. If his mulitstrada will not currently exceed 135 with the 15t, then he will not lose any top end with the 14t.

Again, with the 14t v. 15t on chain wear, theoretically it will cause it to wear faster. However, the difference in wear rates is negligable. In fact, the stock Ducati 749 runs a 14t cs sprocket. The added hp from the big bore kit would put more wear on the chain than switching the sprocket.

I totally agree with bicyle chains. They aren't made to nearly the same specs as moto chains.
^c
Old 12-31-2005, 15:51   #9
c5367
Esq.

Quote:
Excellent comeback! Guess I'm just used to the Japanese fours that often saw redline in top gear.....

I currently ride a '03 BMW K12LT and a nice old '86 Guzzi V65TT....neither of them ever see such excessive speed!

Case closed. I really didn't know Ducati offered a 14 tooth CS sprocket anyway! Ride on.

^c
Nice rides! Both of my current rides are Ducati sportbikes, but when I finally grow up, the Bimmer touring bikes will be at the top of the list. ;f
Old 12-31-2005, 17:17   #10
xrmattaz

Both of my current rides are Ducati sportbikes, but when I finally grow up, the Bimmer touring bikes will be at the top of the list.

Ouch. That one hurt...and YOU know it! heehee.

I should post a list of the numerous sportbikes I've owned in my "youth".....never a Duc though.
Old 12-31-2005, 17:33   #11
Rosey

FWIW, I always thought that increased chain wear from small front sprockets was primarily a result of the force being distributed through fewer teeth rather than too much "bend" of the chain.

For example, going to a smaller sprocket might force the chain to take all the engine's force through 5 or 6 teeth rather than 6 or 7 teeth. So, in this hypothetical example, each tooth of the front sprocket is now transfering maybe 15% or 20% more force than with the larger sprocket.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 20:03   #12
xrmattaz

I think "too few teeth" equals "bend of the chain"...??

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosey
FWIW, I always thought that increased chain wear from small front sprockets was primarily a result of the force being distributed through fewer teeth rather than too much "bend" of the chain.

For example, going to a smaller sprocket might force the chain to take all the engine's force through 5 or 6 teeth rather than 6 or 7 teeth. So, in this hypothetical example, each tooth of the front sprocket is now transfering maybe 15% or 20% more force than with the larger sprocket.
Old 12-31-2005, 20:46   #13
Rosey

Quote:
I think "too few teeth" equals "bend of the chain"...??
I'm not seeing that...but maybe we're just using different terms to describe the same thing??? Whatever the case, I'm not sure how "bend of the chain" describes the fact that when fewer sprocket teeth are at play, the chain/teeth interface has a smaller area with which to spread out the force.

When you said "...chain has to negotiate just too much "bend" to get around that little sprocket..." I thought you meant that the more accute angle each link makes with its neighboring links causes the increased wear. If that is what you meant, then THAT is the part I'm not sure is true. Those sharper angles may cause the chain to wear some tiny amount more. However, I believe that factor is greatly overshadowed by the fact that each link coming into contact with a front sprocket tooth is subjected to greater loads when fewer teeth are available.

Symantics aside, as long as we're in agreement that it is the pressure that occurs between the chain rollers and the sprocket teeth that is the dominant factor, then it's all good.

ETA: I should point out I'm just speculating about what I *think* I know about chain wear.

Last edited by Rosey; 12-31-2005 at 22:15..
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 14:35   #14
BikerRN

Thanks for all the help guys. I will do the 14 Tooth when I get a chance and have time to take the bike in. Right now I have to pay for some Ducati Soft Panniers that I ordered.

Evangelina, my Multistrada, is going to become my "work bike" as I commute through town driving from client to client doing Home Health. Take care and ride safe.
Old 01-01-2006, 14:45   #15
c5367
Esq.

Quote:

Ouch. That one hurt...and YOU know it! heehee.

I should post a list of the numerous sportbikes I've owned in my "youth".....never a Duc though.
Didn't mean it to! ;c
Old 01-04-2006, 01:00   #16
BikerRN

I talked to my dealer today and he is ordering me a 14 Tooth sprocket.

My bags didn't come in that I ordered. It seems that Italian efficiency is at it again, they shipped hardbags instead of the soft panniers.

Of course I offered to relieve the dealer of the gastly item for the cost of the soft panniers, but he refused. Oh well, you can't say I didn't try.

I'll post again once I get the sprocket on, or the soft bags, whichever comes first. Take care and ride safe.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:03   #17
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

You expect Italians to have efficiency and quality?;f

My Aprilia backpack already has a busted zipper.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:09   #18
BikerRN

fnfalman,

One can only hope and dream.
Old 01-05-2006, 21:00   #19
c5367
Esq.

Quote:
Originally posted by BikerRN
I talked to my dealer today and he is ordering me a 14 Tooth sprocket.

My bags didn't come in that I ordered. It seems that Italian efficiency is at it again, they shipped hardbags instead of the soft panniers.

Of course I offered to relieve the dealer of the gastly item for the cost of the soft panniers, but he refused. Oh well, you can't say I didn't try.

I'll post again once I get the sprocket on, or the soft bags, whichever comes first. Take care and ride safe.
Ahh yes. Ducati's infamous intergalactic backorder. I'm all too familiar with it. I ordered a carbon fiber hugger for my 749R, 3.5 months later it finally arrived. Sometimes I wonder why I just didn't buy a rice rocket. Those bad thoughts only come when I can't ride, though.