SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:07   #1
Generalcarry
NRA Member

bfast.com

I used to shop online with Barnes & Noble quite often. They must have been using bfast.com spyware because every promotion for B&N I get, I cannot participate. My computer will not connect to "service.bfast.com". My using Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware or Spybot must have listed them and I eliminated them. Would a company that large actually add a cookie that is dangerous enough that these spe-ware progarms would stop them or could someone else have piggy backed on their ads? Regardless, the promotions are now worthless to me. Is it OK to try and find then uncontaminate bfast or just leave it alone? I'm confused and probably naive to boot.

Last edited by Generalcarry; 12-31-2005 at 11:14..
Generalcarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 18:14   #2
najaboy

What most likely happened is that bfast was listed in your hosts file. It poses no real danger but is still listed along with several sites, both harmless and harmful, when you "innoculate" using Spybot, etc.
najaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:37   #3
glock19_fan
... --- ...

There is no bfast.com

You must have some other spyware. Barnes & noble is highly unlikely to use spyware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
:-)

Read
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
!!!
glock19_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:27   #4
Generalcarry
NRA Member

It's "service.bfast.com". I'm sure I tossed it and only now realized that just because they are listed as being potentially harmful, some are not that bad. I just always went with the programs suggestion.
Regardless, do you think it would be OK to try and find which program has it (quarantined?) and let B&N restore it? I dealt with them a lot!
Old 01-01-2006, 14:26   #5
glock19_fan
... --- ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Generalcarry
It's "service.bfast.com". I'm sure I tossed it and only now realized that just because they are listed as being potentially harmful, some are not that bad. I just always went with the programs suggestion.
Regardless, do you think it would be OK to try and find which program has it (quarantined?) and let B&N restore it? I dealt with them a lot!
There is no bfast.com, hence there is no service.bfast.com

What service does B&N use, that you're talking about? When I go to www.barnesandnoble.com , I see nothing that is needed to be downloaded to shop at Barnes & Noble.

Sounds like you've got some spyware before that pretended to be a Barnes & Noble application.

If it's just a cookie then you shouldn't have the problems you're experiencing.

:-)

Read
!!!
glock19_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 21:57   #6
najaboy

bfast.com and service.bfast.com are indeed legit url's, although there is no actual page associated. It is a click-through affiliate service that's used by many vendors to include Barnes and Noble.

The only time it should adversly affect you in regards to buying something from B&N, however, is when you're clicking one of their ads that's on a third party site or if the site would otherwise refer you to B&N when you click on a product link.
najaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:20   #7
Generalcarry
NRA Member

The only time it should adversly affect you in regards to buying something from B&N, however, is when you're clicking one of their ads that's on a third party site or if the site would otherwise refer you to B&N when you click on a product link. [/B][/QUOTE]

I believe it's the second condition. If I google B&N, I cannot connect to the first hit which is "www.BarnesandNoble.com". The official site. I guess I'm just SOL if I wanted to take advantage of their members only promotions being I have to go through service.bfast.com. Would that about sum it up?