SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2005, 17:22   #1
jlw_84
General Glocker

Any southpaws shoot right handed?

I do. I think because way back when, I was getting my first shooting lessons from my dad, he taught me to shoot right handed, not on purpose, but I dont think the thought ever crossed his mind I was left handed.

Its something I always stuck with, now I can shoot equally with either hand, but I'm sticking to carrying on my right side since thats all I have ever done.
jlw_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 17:25   #2
kneeoh
Dammit Jim!

I can do it, but only because I practice it... still feels weird though. I still carry lefty... any other way just doesn't feel (sorry for this)... right.
kneeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 17:42   #3
sean o'farrell

I write left handed, but throw a baseball right handed.
I've been trying my Glock left handed and right handed, and found little difference in how badly I shoot.
sean o'farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 17:43   #4
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

For the last 6-7 months I've been carrying two G-19's and every time I go to the range (about once a week) I do about half of my shooting right handed. Just keep practicing and it'll start feeling alot more natural as you become acustomed to it. I'm starting to feel more at ease doing things right handed except for mag changes (if I was right handed I'd change all my pistols over so I could hit the mag release with my trigger finger like I do with my Glocks while shooting left handed).
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 17:46   #5
49hudson

I can shoot better groups right handed, even though I'm a lefty. I have carried on the right side, but I am faster drawing and shooting from the left!
I also shoot left hand/left eye and right hand/ right eye.
49hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:33   #6
mud390
That Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to mud390
Last time at the range I tried shooting right hand/left eye and it was definitely an experience. I'm obviously a better shot left/left, but I was able to hit the target, we'll say, decently righty. It didn't feel natural at all. After a couple of clips I was more comfortable, but I will still be shooting left/left when it counts.

Kris
Old 03-07-2005, 06:34   #7
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
I'm cross-dominant, and shoot handguns left-handed and long guns right-handed. So I do okay in weakhand drills, because the weapon is already alligned with my dominant eye. I don't make a habit of squeezing the trigger with my right hand though.

In retrospect, I probably should have learned to shoot pistols right-handed. It would have saved me a lot of heartburn.

-Bo
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 18:50   #8
creekerdoug

I'm more comfortable shooting handguns right handed and long guns left handed. When shooting right handed I use my right eye for sighting and when shooting left handed it's my left eye all the way.

I can shoot fairly well with either hand but I consider myself left handed.

This was a great idea for a new forum. I like it.
creekerdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 21:09   #9
SuperNova

I'm all mixed up!

I write left, bat right, throw left, shoot long guns right and haven't figured out what side I am going to shoot my handguns. My right hand is dominant when it comes to handguns and I'm right eye dominant.

;g ;g ;g
SuperNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 21:35   #10
kfoley
Break glass

I write lefty, throw righty, shoot a pistol lefty and shoot a rifle righty. Wierd... ;g
Young Glocker's #19, G1 Niner's Club #0147, Kahr Club #147, Rimfire Club #81
Bad guys don't make appointments, they just show up.
kfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 18:43   #11
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Just found this forum and I'm enjoying this thread. Seems that us lefties are a generally a lot more ambidextrous than righties.

I write left, throw left, bat & golf right, my right arm is stronger for arm wrestling, I carry and shoot handguns right handed while using my left eye and shoot rifles left eye and left handed.

When I started shooting handguns I sucked equally with both hands so I just figured I'd learn to shoot right handed because the controls are set up for righties.

I was able to adjust to right handed handgun shooting, however it is difficult for me to change my eye dominance. I use my left eye for all sighting so I shoot rifles left handed just so that I can sight with my left eye.

Seems kinda goofy, but it works. I just returned from the range and during my time there I shot three different 9 round 25 yard groups with a Les Baer TRS using an unsupported two hand grip. The results were 3.25", 3.5" and 3" even.

In the three defensive handgun classes I've taken they all had a segment that dealt with weak hand shooting. Being a lefty to start with sure made it a lot easier for me to shoot left handed than the other guys in the class, so that was cool.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 17:50   #12

I'm right eye dominant, shoot right handed and use the Ayoob wedge which I think allows me to make some use of the motor skills in my left hand.
Old 03-31-2005, 23:17   #13
jasonb

I was trained to shoot both sides, the weird thing is that when I shoot right handed, I usually shoot better. Probably focusing harder. Ican do everything but write with my right hand. I am fiercely left eye dominant.

HK Club #62
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 17:09   #14
Sgt Glockman

I am a lefty, but I can shoot right handed and do quite well depending on which type of gun I'm shooting. I am right eye dominant and ambidextrous doing most things, I can even write right handed. Not as well but it is readible. I shoot better left handed than I can with my right hand. I can shoot a rifle and shotgun with either hand but I'm a better shoot but not by much using my left side than my right.
Twice when I broke my left hand I switched my gunbelt and holster to right hand carry and then qualified shooting right handed so I would not have to work a desk job while it healed. That was a long time ago, my department wouldn't allow an officer to do that today.

Sgt Glockman
Retired LEO 34 years service
TOP GUN 357 SIG CLUB #0623, .40 Club #0623, Bull Dawg Club #0623
Sgt Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 18:09   #15
Beaten
Brand X

Ok I got one you people. I am a southpaw but I use to be on the right side of the world till I was 13. Lost the 60% of my sight in my right eye. I shoot rifles as a southpaw. But with a handgun I shoot with both handa but I have to close my right eye or every tings goes out of focus. WEIRD huh ;g
Old 04-07-2005, 03:39   #16
blueshot3

I do most things lefty but I can shoot a handgun both left handed and right handed but I carry left handed. I shoot a rifle right handed.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades and last time I hit a man with a horseshoe he just got pissed.
Iím # 3333
blueshot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:31   #17
Mail Clerk

Re: Any southpaws shoot right handed?

Quote:
Originally posted by jlw_84
I do. I think because way back when, I was getting my first shooting lessons from my dad, he taught me to shoot right handed, not on purpose, but I dont think the thought ever crossed his mind I was left handed.

Its something I always stuck with, now I can shoot equally with either hand, but I'm sticking to carrying on my right side since thats all I have ever done.

jlw_84,

I shoot pistols right handed and rifles on the left. Kinda funny huh? Well that's the way it is. It just feels natural.

Now for my eyes I'm right eye dominant and near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. pretty screwed-up huh? Well it feels natural.

Mail Clerk
Old 05-04-2005, 11:49   #18
GMAN40
OIF Vet. 04-05

my primary shooting hand is lefty but I can shoot righty as well. i think that is good training to be able to shoot with either hand. Just my opinon.
GMAN40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 19:03   #19
gdog
Be Prepared

Send a message via Yahoo to gdog
In 1977 when I first went to the police academy, I wanted a "safety" holster. I could only find one in right hand. I am left handed and prior to this always shot left handed. My left eye is my master eye. Started shooting and carrying right handed and never went back. Still shoot long arms left handed. Still have a hard time finding left handed long arms. The only problem I have shooting right handed is I have to close my left eye to sight. Not good form.
The Georgia Club 1334
gdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:32   #20
Wildpony

Im a south-paw who shoots right handed. but then again Im right eye dominant too. But I write, eat, and do many other things left handed. I hammer nails and blacksmith ambedextriously, when one arm gets tired I just use the other one. I get a lot more done than alot of others would that way.
Wildpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:25   #21
cookie-62

I'm left handed, right eyed. I shoot long guns right,bat right, throw left. I shoot pistols just as well with both hands, but I've trained and just can't get comfortable drawing right handed so I carry left handed.
Old 05-15-2005, 14:39   #22
MADISON

It has been more than 40 years since I starting shooting right handed. Today they refer to it as STRONG HAND....WEAK HAND.
Old 05-15-2005, 16:44   #23
TomSplasky
Encase Elegance

Send a message via AIM to TomSplasky
I'm messed up...

I shoot rifles and pistols right handed, I write left handed, I use a mouse left handed, I eat left handed, I throw right handed, I play guitar right handed...

Yeah..
Old 05-15-2005, 18:09   #24
Rick O'Shay

I work armed security, and have to requalify quarterly at the range. One of the exercises we go through is concealment behind a "wall", shoot three rounds left-handed, then to the other side of the "wall" and shoot three rounds right-handed. Some quick-draw exercises are one-handed, leftie then rightie (quick transfer to the right hand). Apparently, this is so that we know how to shoot with the weak hand if we're wounded in the strong hand/arm. Probably a smart thing to learn and practice.

Before these drills, I had never fired right-handed, but now I can manage OK.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:56   #25
anchoryanker23
Huh?

I write left handed, but everthing else I'm more ambidextrious than anything. shoot mostly right handed, but can shoot lefty although the biggest problem is my eyesite on the left is a lot worse, plus i'm right eye dominant.
GOT 1911? 1911 club #1979
Happiness is a warm Belt-Fed
In the Land of the Assault Carbine, the Man with a Battle Rifle is King.(tm) 2005, Anchoryanker23
MBR club member #4
anchoryanker23 is offline   Reply With Quote