Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:23   #1
hitecrednek

name this leak

My FXST has been put up for winter, and has sprung a leak....

can anyone look at the photo and take a guess what it could be?

the leak is high enough that oil is on the lower part of the drive belt; seems to be between the arrows.....

thanks
hitecrednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:20   #2
BikerRN

Send a message via AIM to BikerRN
I hope your scoot is still under warranty. I would load it in the truck and take it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty.

If it's not under warranty I would find a wrench that works on and knows his Harley's. I don't know what it is, but most likely you have a gasket problem. Even after all these years Harley considers "weeping" gaskets "normal" and won't repair them unless it leaves a puddle under the scoot.

Most of the service departments at Harley dealers are OK to deal with if you are friendly to them. The Service Writer can be your best friend at a Harley stealership.

Good luck and sorry to hear about the leak.
BikerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 13:08   #3
wolfy692005
pro tinkerer

Send a message via Yahoo to wolfy692005

couple of things.. 1st as long as you have not moved the bike the leak is either you oil tank ( not likley) or a oil line (probabal)..there is nothing in the primary to leak there. Chances are something vibrated loose (hose clamp) or a line vibrated a small hole in it and not it is dripping. trouble is, the spot on the floor is not ness. where the leak is, and it could be running along the belt drive and or frame to there and dripping off.. take your hand and run it under the bottom of your oil tank to (probably) find the problem. There are hoses on both sides could be any of them.
good luck and let us know what you find out
1911 club member,Florida Glockers Club,
Sig Club and Ruger Club, all the same # 692005
wolfy692005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 13:37   #4
Rosey

Harleys...

Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 21:20   #5
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

That puddle is called a "Harley dipstick".
As long as you have a puddle forming under it, you know you have oil in it. It's when there isn't a leak that you should be concerned.
;n
Old 01-03-2006, 06:06   #6
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Most likely, the leak is from the mainshaft seal. This seal surrounds the shaft that comes out of the trans to the primary drive. One of the problems with this design is that, if the drive belt is over-tightened, it stresses the mainshaft and consequently the bearing seal. This is common on recent model Harleys. Unscrupulous dealers often over-tighten the drive belt in order to precipitate this repair.

Have you been riding a lot of two-up lately? Or, have you otherwise heavily loaded the bike? That will case the belt to be under more tension more of the time.

In order to fix this seal, the primary drive must be removed. This seal is behind the inner primary case, clutch, and drive belt. So, get your checkbook out and head to the shop. To do this job yourself will require a clutch pulling tool, and primary drive lock-block, and a day of your time. Personally, this is where I draw the line on home mechanics. The problem, however, is finding a dealer who will fix this without setting the bike up for it to happen again. Be wary!!!

If you've been thinking about adding a chromed inner primary case, now is the time to do it!!! Also, while you're in there, replace the primary chain idler and -- depending on milage -- the clutch. Inspect the stator carefully also.

I'm guessing this oil is dripping off the rear cross member, where it is collecting. Contrary to the remarks above, there are no gaskets in a Harley engine case. The new metal/silicon primary gaskets have all but stopped the traditional oil spot under yer scoot phenomenon. While the leak may be from another source, I doubt it very much. The fact that you have oil on the belt all but confirms this diagnosis. If you require futher proof, put some flourescent die in the trans and take a trip.

Again, this problem is common, yet preventable with proper final drive tensioning.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:03   #7
hitecrednek

thanks for the input...

357---what you describe seems to line up with what I'm seeing.. ...

the bike is an '05, so warrenty should cover it; I've got till july of '07 to make sure they get it right.....

the local dealer has been good so far....

I do a good bit of 2 up riding with my girlfriend....

---sounds like its worth getting it into the shop now instead of waiting for spring....

I'll keep ya'all posted! thanks!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 21:08   #8
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Yes, take it in now!

The service manual says that the final drive belt should be adjusted (tensioned) with the rider atop the bike. Therefore, you probably should make a big point with the techs that you usually ride two up and be honest about the amount of weight that represents. They can then set the final drive up on the loose end of things. This may cause some squeeling sounds on rainy days, but that's a whole lot better than replacing the seal.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2006, 15:48   #9
hitecrednek

called the dealer this morning and they picked it up about 20 minutes later! At least they have quick service.

the guy who picked it up looked at it and mentioned mainshaft seal, so I'll keep fingers crossed...

thanks for the input ;a
Old 01-04-2006, 16:56   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Glad to see that the dealer is on the ball.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:12   #11
DaveGT

Saw this a little late.

That looks exactly like where the leak was on my 2002 Ultra after a trip through New Mexico and Arizona this past fall.

Turned out to be the mainshaft seal, as already mentioned in this thread. Pretty common occurrence, from what the Dealer Service Manager told me.

Strange thing though.... on that trip, a friend on 'another brand' had a pretty good oil leak; but according to some of the replies in this thread, one would have the impression that ONLY Harleys leak ???????

;f ;f ;f ;f ;f
DaveGT is offline   Reply With Quote