Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-04-2006, 20:05   #1
Robert Mitchell

Installing a cpu

Iíve got a Pentium 4 Processor, 2.4 Ghz, 478 pins, as a replacement. Looking at the heat sink that came with the processor, thereís a silver patch that looks like some kind of thermal conductor. Reading the installation instructions on Intelís website, it seems that I shouldnít use thermal grease on the heat sink. Should I go ahead and put some grease on the heat sink or should I skip this step?

http://support.intel.com/support/pro....htm#Retention
Robert Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 20:11   #2
AZ-Boog

Scrape that ***** (the thermal pad)off of there and clean the surface thoroughly and use a quality thermal compound.

AS5 or whatever the latest is.

Krusty the Clown

My Father always said that laughter was the best medicine. I guess this explains why so many of us died from tuberculosis.

Jack Handy
AZ-Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 20:17   #3
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

Use thermal compound, but just make sure you are very careful not to over apply if its a conductive type. Rule of thumb, if it's silver or copper, it will conduct, the white stuff will not.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 20:20   #4
Washington,D.C.

Use one or the other.Don't use grease with the pad.You can do away with the pad if you use a good thermal compound(grease).Don't mix the two.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 21:08   #5
mitchshrader
Deceased

ok, it's nearly irrelevant.

the thermal pad is adequate. the grease is better, but not hugely. there's a reason they sell a premade heatsink/fan combo and warranty it. you might gain 2-3C on temps with arctic silver, that's fairly certain. whether you need it depends on whether you overclock, how intense the programs are running on your machine, whether you game or do large renders, video edits.

if you stress heck out of your machine for any reason, yeah, 2 or 3 degrees matters. HOWEVER.. for 95% of all computers, no, it's pointless to worry about it. a home comp that's not gamed on by teenagers every day? nah. not important.

and that said, i use arctic silver on every one of MY machines, and DO overclock, and swear by it. but it's like pirellis on a honda.

unless you race that honda, you're wasting good money to no purpose.
Old 01-04-2006, 21:21   #6
Robert Mitchell

machine usage

I'm not going to overclock the cpu. I use it to play games like Doom and Halo once or twice a week for a couple of hours. I also have a tv tuner, dvd drive and a 7.1 surround sound card installed to play music and movies. I mainly use the machine to surf the web and for stuff I bring home from work.
Robert Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:44   #7
RaiderRodney
Just Win Baby

Just my opinion but given the small cost of thermal compound, I would scrape the crap off and use Arctic Silver 5. Even if you aren't going to stress it that much 2-5 degrees is still 2-5 degrees and cooler is always better
RaiderRodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 19:50   #8
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
Quote:
Originally posted by RaiderRodney
Just my opinion but given the small cost of thermal compound, I would scrape the crap off and use Arctic Silver 5. Even if you aren't going to stress it that much 2-5 degrees is still 2-5 degrees and cooler is always better
Exactly. Cooler PC's live longer than hotter ones, even when the difference in temperature is not that large.

Just putting a small 80mm case fan in a Dell or other OEM POS usually makes them run better. If the PSU can handle the extra load, that is...OEM PSU's are marginal at best.

I always use AS Ceramique, myself...it's cheap, nonconductive and gives the lowest possible temperatures.
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote