SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2006, 16:24   #1
BikerRN

Send a message via AIM to BikerRN
14 Tooth Sprocket

As promised: (Review of the 14 Tooth Sprocket in a Ducati 620cc)

OK, just got back from a 50 mile loop that throws everything at you from twisties to long straights.

I rode through town, and the traffic was normal, busier than a one legged man at a butt-kicking contest. The 14T allowed me to get out of first gear in bumper to bumper 30-35 MPH traffic. I didn't have to slip the clutch above 8MPH.

The bike runs at a little higher revs, but seems to find the "sweet spot easier, 4500-7500 RPM's. As the road opened up to sweepers I opened it up. Instead of doing 35 MPH curves at 50 MPH in third gear I was in fourth at the same speed, with plenty more to give.

As I got into the tight stuff, first gear with the 15 tooth sprocket, I was in second gear and humming along fine. The bike seems to have a little better engine braking capability too. I went in "hot" on an "S Curve" and had to trail brake, no problems. The bike also wanted to "punch" out of the corners with what felt like more gusto.

Then I got on the long straight. At 65 MPH I was able to put it into sixth gear. I was holding at 75 MPH and the bike still wanted to move faster. I don't know why Ducati set their gearing so that you don't use overdrive until 75+ MPH, the maximum speed limit here in the United States is 75 MPH on the Interstates.

In short, this is the best change one can make to a Ducati 620 that has the 15 Tooth front sprocket. It makes it "friendlier" and easier to use around town, yet still gives you plenty of punch for the Interstate. I will check the true top-end speed when I have a chance, but I don't think I'm going to lose anything there. The fastest I was able to get Evangelina to go with the 15 Tooth was 106 MPH. It's the aerodynamics not the gearing that slows it down.

Take care and ride safe. I hope this answers some questions for people regarding the 14/15 controversy. ;c
BikerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 17:53   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

All you need now is K&N air filter, aftermarket exhaust and a tuned Power Commander.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:06   #3
BikerRN

If I do all that, and I probably won't, I would just get the 750 Kit.

;c
Old 01-13-2006, 10:01   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Even if you were to get the 750 kit, you'd still have to change all of that anyway. ;f

You'd need all of those done just to get better throttle response. Not to mention releasing the sound and the fury of an Italian twin.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:33   #5
BikerRN

The 750 Kit comes with Remapped ECU, Termingoni's, Pistons, Heads and New better breathing Air-Filter.

So it would have it all. My only problem is that I can't justify it and I want a second bike for track days. Also, while it would be good for a while, knowing me as I do, I would want a 1000 shortly thereafter. I "settled" for the 620 engine because as a "Daily Rider" it makes sense has a higher usability factor, to me, for in-town commuting.

Maybe I'll just break down and by a Huffy 3-Speed.
Old 01-16-2006, 00:09   #6
c5367
Esq.

Send a message via AIM to c5367
Quote:
Originally posted by BikerRN
The 750 Kit comes with Remapped ECU, Termingoni's, Pistons, Heads and New better breathing Air-Filter.

So it would have it all. My only problem is that I can't justify it and I want a second bike for track days. Also, while it would be good for a while, knowing me as I do, I would want a 1000 shortly thereafter. I "settled" for the 620 engine because as a "Daily Rider" it makes sense has a higher usability factor, to me, for in-town commuting.

Maybe I'll just break down and by a Huffy 3-Speed.
Yes, you would. I ended up trading my Monster 620 in for a SS1000 as my street bike. ;f I went with a 14t on that one too. The 620 was a great streetbike, though. Got 50 miles to the gallon if I didn't ride like an idiot. For a daily commuter scooter, its a great motor.

In all honesty, if you ever find you need more power, it would be easier and more economical to just trade up to a 1000. Ducati charges a bit too much for their various kits.

AS far as trackbikes go, you may be able to find a slightly used SV650 for a good price, or perhaps one of the Aprilia RS250s. The Aprilia is wonderful little track machine. Any line, any time. The braking and cornering is just amazing. You won't be pulling R1's on the straight, but you'll outcorner'em every time.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:26   #7
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The problem with the Aprilia is to find one that's in good shape before heaven helps you if you need parts. Otherwise that RS250 would be awesome. I rode the RS50 and that little sucker corners like it's on rails. Take it to the go-kart track and go at it and it's the best fun evah!!!