SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:02   #1
leeinmemphis

Thinking about a Harley Dresser.....

Hey everyone,

I haven't been riding for a few years but I am starting to get the itch again. My last few bikes were a husky 360 dirt bike, vfr800 and a goldwing 1800(bright yellow). I've had a few harleys over the years but primarily dyna and soft tails(old evo motors mostly). My last harley was one of the first Fat Boy efi's that came out around 2001 or 2002 I guess. Anyway I am starting to think my midlife crisis is getting to me ;a and I am thinking about getting me a Harley Dresser. Most likely I would like either a Road Glide or an Electra Glide. I'm almost sure that I would prefer the Electra Glide but was curious if anyone had any experience on the road glide? Any help would be appreciated.

-lee-
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:20   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

One of the guys at work had just bought a Road King for about $20,000. He seems to like it aplenty. This dude has about seven Harleys plus various metric cruisers to include a choppered Honda.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:43   #3
nu2carry

HOG's...

I have owned Road Kings, Glides, Fat Boy's, Dyna's and liked them all..

The only thing I did not like was I never thought any of them had the pick-up I needed for city driving...

So in 04 I bought a 1200 XL Sportster because that was the year they put rubber mounts on the engine...I did the Stage 1 kit and I gotta tell you that the bike rocks!

Fast, fat sounding, fun to ride, really handles well for a HD and even good on trips of 300 or less miles at a time...

They are the least expensive of the HD line. I put a better seat on it, some hot pipes, backrest, skull grips, pegs, covers and taillight kit and I maybe have $12,000 total investment in it. Maintenance runs less on the Sporty's as well...

I will probably get another Road King in a year or so When I have more time to do road trips..But I will keep the Sporty for running around..I just love to ride, almost as much as I love to fly...

One of the guys that works for me has a Ducati. Man that bike is fast and fun! If I was younger I would probably buy a performance bike..

Good luck on scratching that itch...

nu2carry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 14:16   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Re: HOG's...

Quote:
Originally posted by nu2carry

One of the guys that works for me has a Ducati. Man that bike is fast and fun! If I was younger I would probably buy a performance bike..

Good luck on scratching that itch...

Youth has nothing to do with it. I got dusted this weekend by an old fart (probably late fifties). Granted that he was on a faster bike (Aprilia Tuono Racing), but the fact is that he rides a fast bike very fast. There are plenty of "matured" gentlemen on crotch rockets that frequent the canyons too.
Old 01-25-2006, 14:48   #5
nu2carry

Re: Re: HOG's...

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
Youth has nothing to do with it. I got dusted this weekend by an old fart (probably late fifties). Granted that he was on a faster bike (Aprilia Tuono Racing), but the fact is that he rides a fast bike very fast. There are plenty of "matured" gentlemen on crotch rockets that frequent the canyons too.
Yea, now that you mention it I was in SOCAL over Thanksgiving and did see some of those "mature" men you mention on the roads out there..I rented a dresser from Route 66 HD while there and had a few of those guys whiz by me...

Must be a west coast thing? Don't see many crotch rocket older guys here in Detroit..Probably cause their blood is thicker..

I would absolutely lack the maturity to control that need for speed!

But those bikes are fun, fast and furious!

Is your avatar your ride? Nice..What is it?

Old 01-25-2006, 15:40   #6
coldmcrider

I have a 2004 electra-glide with just under 50K miles and I love it. I test rode the road glide last year and actually prefered the way it handled over my electra-glide but I like the classic looks of the bat wing fairing better than the road glides frame mounted dual headlight fairing. Really can't go wrong with either one though.
coldmcrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 15:45   #7
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Moto Club

The bike from my avatar is the MV Agusta Brutale 910 with a 910-cc I-4 engine that puts out 136-hp and 71-lbft of torque on a bike that weighs probably around 450-lbs wet ready to go. It's my latest acquisition. I bought it right after Thanksgiving last year. The machine has only 1500-miles under its belt so far. It's a very visceral machine, but it's not quite to my liking. Frankly I don't know why I bought it. Actually I knew exactly why I bought it - I was thinking with my little head, that's why. It's a pure sexual lust feeling with this bike.

I usually toot around town with it and go show it off at the various bike nights. Not a very comfortable bike to ride because it buzzes like crazy. Agile in the streets dodging traffic, but not too agile in the canyons. Let me clarify that a bit more: the bike is capable, it just doesn't feel like it wants to lean in my hands and I have a heck of a time riding it aggressively. So, it's my personal capability more than the bike. Nonetheless, if one doesn't feel comfortable cutting corner on a bike, then one doesn't feel comfortable cutting corner on a bike. The rear wheel locks up easy if you downshift too aggressively, especially during a corner. A bit of throttle and you'll run wide. A very flighty machine, not very forgiving. I think that the reason for this is the extremely animalistic engine. It snarls and growls and lunges and screams. Throttle control is extremely difficult. I think that only an expert could truly extract its performance. I have ridden the MV Agusta F4 1000 and while the 1000's engine is more powerful and faster, it doesn't have the twitchiness of the Brutale.

Awesome acceleration and mechanical satisfaction. Whack the throttle open and it lunges forward like a rabid pitbull with all the sounds and furies of the Valkyries.

I just can't seem to love it. I am drawn to it like a moth to a flame, but I don't love it. It's like seeing a hot college cheerleader prancing about and you just want to tear off her clothes, make mad love to her and then walk away without nary a regret.

It's my ultimate poseur bike because it draws a lot of attention at the various bike nights. But when it comes time to do some serious canyon damage, I'd break out the BMW and the Aprilia.

But back to the original query. It does seem like a SoCal thing for "matured" fellows to ride crotch rockets. I have been trying to recall seeing old farts on fast bikes in New Mexico and I can't think of one. Well, there was one guy in his forties who outbidded me on the BMW Munich Muscle K1200R. Anyway, I'm 39 in a couple of months. With any luck, I'll still be cruising on fast bikes ten or twenty years from now.

This lady rides a Munich Missile.;G ;D Plenty of go fast with lots of comfort and not too outlandish paint job or styling.

Of course, if one is of the H-D type, then the Street Rod does bring some accelerational excitement to the heart as well.

Last edited by fnfalman; 01-25-2006 at 16:20..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 15:58   #8
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

I have a Road Glide in yellow pearl. It's an 05, so the stripe is light grey, instead of black. I love this bike. You don't feel crosswinds/trucks in your handlebars as much as the E-glide, because the fairing is frame-mounted. But like coldmcrider said, both are good choices. Cruise control and stereo are a plus for long hauls. I added a backrest. I'm eventually going to add a tour pak as well.
Here's a stock photo from the HD site.

Last edited by g29andy; 01-25-2006 at 16:06..
g29andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 19:29   #9
nu2carry

Good analogy...

Fnfalman, that really is an exceptional looking motorcycle...When I was a kid in High school I had a Kaw 500 it was considered a screamer in its time...That bike you have there is a whole other dimension ...

I am 50 and if I were a kid today I would absolutely want a performance bike...

I have been riding Harley’s since my mid 20's, also owned some Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis,
and I have had a couple choppers but other than my Kaw which was as close to owning an agile bike as I have been, I have not had that kind of riding experience...

I was riding down a major express way here in Detroit last summer doing about 80 mph and a kid pulled up next to me on a rocket and did a wheel stand and blew past me doing well over a hundred miles an hour riding that one wheel for at least a quarter of a mile...Just seems like those bikes kinda brings out the rider in bikers...Good and bad...

I do know that they scrape em up every summer weekend night off of I-275 where they race.

I would like to learn to master one though...

Have fun!
Old 01-25-2006, 19:49   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The problem with those kind of performance bikes is that the kids can't afford them. ;e

Seriously though, the youngest person that I know owning an MV Agusta was from a very rich family and daddy bought him the 750-cc F4 while bought himself the 1000-cc F4. Most people that ride Italian bikes generally tend to be a bit older and have more cash. I'm not bragging, but that's just the way the demographics go. You usually don't own ONE Italian bike. You usually own something else just in case the spaghetti burner craps out on you.;z

Anyway, 50 isn't too old for the needs for speeds. And like I said above, if Harley is your thing then the V-Rod/Street Rod family will bring you some excitement in the speed area.
Old 01-25-2006, 20:12   #11
wamps01

Things aren't always as they seem with Harley Davidson-maybe this will help you. I'm on my 4th Harley since 1993. I've put at least 50,000 miles on each of the previous 3 bikes (Softail Custom, Electra Glide Classic, Road King Classic). My current ride is a 2005 Electra Glide Standard (Chopper Blue). At present, I have 7,000 miles on it (in Winter storage). For lack of better wording, it is by far the worst Harley I have ever owned. If I could do it over again (and I might at the risk of taking a loss) I'd shop around for a low mileage 2003/2004 Dresser-they are out there. Beginning in 2005 the EPA reared it's ugly head and Harley has been forced to play along. The heads of the 2005/06 models have been changed. I've had engine detonation problems (too lean/too hot-Stage 1 did not fix it) as well as the proverbial oil consumption problem related to the head re-design/valve configuration/valve seals. I've had it to the dealership(s) countless times and ended up spending close to $700 of my own money (should've been a warranty issue-but I could get no satisfaction from HD-"They all do it") to install a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner and a Dyno Tune just to get rid of the detonation problem. Prior to seasonal storage I had the valve stem seals replaced with the "fix" (remains to be seen IF this is indeed a "fix" to the oil consumption problem-I finally found a dealership that would honor the 2yr unlimited warranty and "fix" the problem). I've had much difficulty trying to get satisfaction from Harley with regard to my 05 EG. My previously owned Harleys were perfect. I had no doubt in my mind that my 05 would be just as good as the others I've owned-not the case. Again, if I had to do it all over again I'd search for a low mileage 03/04 Dresser-they were not as affected by the EPA and had the good heads which did not use oil and flowed well, and did not have the detonation problem. I would not wish my experience onto you or anyone else and as such would avoid the 05/06 models. My Best to you on your choice and decision.
wamps01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 21:25   #12
whogasak47
JPFO-GOA

Which Dresser to buy ?

If You ride, get a Classic if you sorda ride Get a Road King . Both are good. Good Luck and Ride Safe.
Rule #1 Watch out for Number 1.
Rule #2 Remember your Number.

There is nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot.
whogasak47 is offline   Reply With Quote