Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2006, 13:31   #1
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

What?

What led you ladies to an interest in firearms? Was it protection, recreation, profession? My wife used to shoot in her younger (before me) days, but since kids, she has no interest, but we are making progress^5
Old 02-12-2006, 13:59   #2
April
Lifetime Membership

Send a message via Yahoo to April
My paternal grandfather was a career police officer. My dad grew up shooting and he taught us to shoot. I actualy can't remember any "pre-shooting" time.

Sometime later in life I got a job as a "propietary police" officer at a large hospital. Fancy way of saying rent-a-cop w/ a special police commission. Of course this job included qualifying with and carrying a sidearm. Stainless S&W 686 4" w/ custom trigger loaded up with Federal 158GR Hydra-Shoks. Man that was nice gun.

When hubby and I first met.. our 1st date was to the local <s>fun</s> gun show and our 2nd was to a local indoor range. (Both my idea)

Got a pistol my 1st Mother's Day (SW99 .40S&W). Got another here recently for our 4th anniversary (his and hers G19 and G26). Also have a Mossy 500 12ga, a 1971 Winchester 94 30-30, a 1942 Ithica LeFever Nitro Special 16ga and Red Ryder 50th Anniversary BB Gun. ;f
Old 02-12-2006, 14:01   #3
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Great question! I can't honestly point to one thing. I guess I've always been sort of interested, I remember my dad keeping a rifle in his closet when I was a kid, but he never went shooting. I grew up in an EXTREMELY liberal part of the country, and NO ONE I knew was into shooting AT ALL. In college, I dated a guy from a very RURAL area of the state. It was a way of life there, and he took me shooting for the first time...in his parents yard, which was the woods. ;e

That was the ONLY time I'd been shooting before I met VR, who, of course was VERY into it, and took me shooting on something like our third date;f After that, I really took an interest in it, and get great enjoyment out of going and sharing a hobby. ;a

I WILL say that having children has only made me MORE interested, as I honestly believe there is NOTHING i wouldn't do to protect them from harm.

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 14:04   #4
April
Lifetime Membership

Guess we both sorta wrote books, huh?
Old 02-12-2006, 14:06   #5
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by FF Wife
Guess we both sorta wrote books, huh?
well, it was a good question! I think it's kinda funny that we both went on shooting dates with our spouses ;f

90/9/1

Old 02-12-2006, 14:08   #6
April
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
well, it was a good question! I think it's kinda funny that we both went on shooting dates with our spouses ;f
Except in my case it wasn't his idea. What can I say? It's FUN! ;f
Old 02-12-2006, 15:16   #7
Lynn D
Bullseye?

I used to date a guy who shoots...

...and during the course of our relationship, I decided that I should at least go to the range with him to see what this was like, as it seemed important to him. I figured it might help me understand him a bit.

He had previously given me a lot of basic info on how a gun works, and the safety rules, etc. And, darn, if it didn't make sense. So, to the range. He reviewed the safety rules, and showed me how to sight up a revolver. Told me he didn't want to put up a target for me, because he didn't want me to feel bad if I didn't hit it (I'm a type A perfectionist!). Well, I hit it 11 out of 12 times. We broke up a few weeks later, and all I could think of was "I need to learn how...". I called him, and he offered to teach me.

So, I know have a CCW and carry most of the time. Adding to my collection now. I have a .22 target, a 9 mm carry, a G19, and will eventually add a 1911.

And, of course, in all of this, my mother wonders if I'm going to date any of the guys at the range. Ugh!

Lynn
Lynn D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 15:25   #8
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Re: I used to date a guy who shoots...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn D

And, of course, in all of this, my mother wonders if I'm going to date any of the guys at the range. Ugh!

Lynn
well? are ya? ;f JUST KIDDING! That's a great story! This is a little embarassing, but i've never gone out and BOUGHT my own gun. We share, and VR "bought me" my g17, but it's not in my name. I think I need to add that to my "todo" list ;f

90/9/1

Old 02-12-2006, 15:30   #9
April
Lifetime Membership

I like hearin' about everybody's "gun" stories.

Lynn -- it's cool that you wanted to learn bad enough to ask your ex to teach you. Lotsa folks woulda just dropped the issue and go about life wondering "if".

Sharon -- go buy a gun. It's rather empowering. ;f
Old 02-12-2006, 15:38   #10
MrsKitty

A neighbor's psychotic boyfriend was getting out of prison.
Old 02-12-2006, 16:04   #11
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by misskitty5077
;P good reason!

90/9/1

Old 02-12-2006, 16:19   #12
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Good stories! I love to hear how people got started, and love even more to introduce/teach new shooters.

Sharon, my wife actually felt the opposite of you after her 1st child--she didn't want guns around, for fear of what may happen. Since we have been together, that has changed. We haven't been able to shhot yet due to childcare issues, but she has atleast asked~woohoo~~woohoo~

Lynn, I'm glad you showed interest enough to follow through with obtaining your CCW^c

April, Kuddos for making great date suggestions;W
Old 02-12-2006, 16:20   #13
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally posted by misskitty5077
;P ~hg
Old 02-12-2006, 17:21   #14
Lynn D
Bullseye?

I know it's a little strange...still being friends with your ex. We still shoot together at the range. One of the advantages is the guy has a whole "arsenal" of stuff. That's one of the reasons I have been able to try so much stuff already!

He's the one that introduced me to the defensive group I shoot with now. And they're all good people.

And as for dating guys at the range, that'd be nice, but everyone I meet seems to be married. On the plus side, I get to shoot with a whole bunch of really nice guys who are supportive and good resources. Now if I could only get them to understand that we can't always wear holsters the way they do.....

Lynn
Old 02-12-2006, 17:32   #15
rnchick

Send a message via Yahoo to rnchick

I'm a new shooter...been shooting handguns for about 2 months now. Purchased my first gun about 3 weeks ago...my beautiful G 19. What got me interested? I was the victim of a violent crime - a home invasion. I was hurt pretty badly. I am fortunate enough to have survived and even more fortunate still to have ID'd the guy. He's behind bars and awaiting trial. I have several LEO friends who told me to call them when I was ready - they are firearm instructorms. So I did...thinking it would be a gun to keep in the house. Well...I now have my CCW and find that the sense of empowerment is amazing. I enjoy going to the range. I am able to release a bunch of pent up anger too. It's a good thing. Maybe I will get the boyfriend interested too...maybe not. It's all good...
rnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 17:49   #16
Mrs. VR
Administrator

rnchick, I'm so glad you're here today to tell us about it, I can't say that enough. ;w ~hg

90/9/1

Old 02-12-2006, 18:04   #17
Lynn D
Bullseye?

RNChick -

Glad you are here to tell the story.

Lynn
(fellow RN)
Old 02-12-2006, 18:07   #18
Emoore

I grew up on a ranch, and grew up shooting. We ate a lot of wild game growing up, my dad hunted and always carried a pistol. It never occured to me that some people don't have guns. Got my first hunting riffle when I was 8 or 10 and got my first pistol (a .38 special) when I was 14 or so.
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 19:42   #19
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
;P good reason!
You have no idea..... ;T
Old 02-12-2006, 19:46   #20
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally posted by rnchick
I'm a new shooter...been shooting handguns for about 2 months now. Purchased my first gun about 3 weeks ago...my beautiful G 19. What got me interested? I was the victim of a violent crime - a home invasion. I was hurt pretty badly. I am fortunate enough to have survived and even more fortunate still to have ID'd the guy. He's behind bars and awaiting trial. I have several LEO friends who told me to call them when I was ready - they are firearm instructorms. So I did...thinking it would be a gun to keep in the house. Well...I now have my CCW and find that the sense of empowerment is amazing. I enjoy going to the range. I am able to release a bunch of pent up anger too. It's a good thing. Maybe I will get the boyfriend interested too...maybe not. It's all good...
I'm glad you are OK.;w ~hg
Old 02-12-2006, 23:52   #21
TofsLady

When I was growing up, I can't remember a time that there were no guns in the house. No handguns, though. We were poor folks and my dad hunted to put meat on the table and because he loved it.

Dad taught me about gun safety and to shoot a single shot 22 rifle when I was about six.

Then------fast farward a few years------When my husband and I were dating, a great many of our Sunday afternoon dates were spent shooting.

Shooting just always----------WAS!

It is so nice to visit this forum and see some activity!

--Frank Outlaw
TofsLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:40   #22
c-mama

My dad always had guns in the house. I grew up in Wisconsin and my dad hunted every year. I ALMOST went with him, but then chickened out at the thought of shooting a deer. I never did shoot a gun, though.

I cannot remember when Scott (my hubby) got into guns, it was only about 4-5 years ago (8-10 years into our marriage). It was about 2 years after that that I took an interest and he started bringing me to the range with him.

I love shooting as a sport and the protection I feel I can help offer my family is great.
c-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:47   #23
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TofsLady

It is so nice to visit this forum and see some activity!
I agree! I love hearing all these stories!

90/9/1

Old 02-13-2006, 06:48   #24
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by crochetmama

I love shooting as a sport and the protection I feel I can help offer my family is great.
I feel exactly the same way! ;a

90/9/1

Old 02-13-2006, 07:39   #25
Glockgirl26

I know what if feels like to be victimized. Never again, if I can help it.

Plus, tools of the trade and all that...