Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2006, 14:36   #1
Ford302Glock21
Chrome Horsie

Send a message via AIM to Ford302Glock21 Send a message via Yahoo to Ford302Glock21

Anyone wanna tell me about the Marines?

Just thought I'd post up and see what the people think. I thought about joining the military in high school when the recruiters were all over me for having a good asvab score I guess. I decided not to and went on to college. I've bee done with college for almost 2 years now and I decided to go to UTI to train as an automotive technician because I'm kind of a gear head.

Anywho, a friend of mine is in the process of joining up with the Marines as an officer and hes been telling me about it. I guess he got me thinking again about the military and why shouldnt I join up.

I tinkered with the Marine www site and got to know a little about the whole thing. Seems to be a more intriguing club to join. I have great respect for all branches of the military and I'm very interested in each of their histories, however, not sure what would be the best for me.

I see that the Marines are very focused on fitness which I think is very interesting as I've been trying to motivate myself to increase strength and fitness.
Ford302Glock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 15:40   #2
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

The Drill Instructors can, and will, provide you with all the motivation you can handle, plus some! It really depends on what MOS (job/specialty)you want in the military. Different people join for different reasons, or combination of reasons.

You say you are somewhat of a gearhead, so Motor Transport may be your thing. I don't really know much about Motor T, or the different sub specialties within. I was Infantry, so we walked or ran everywhere. Sounds like you will be going the Officer route, so I really can't help there, either.

Looking back on this post, it doesn't look like I was much help at all. I can offer this though--The Marine Corps will challenge you in ways you never thought possible, both physically and mentally. It isn't always easy, fun, or glamourous. What it is, is life altering. It showed me things I never thought possible. With the exception of my marriage, and the birth of my children, it is my most prized accomplishment.

Your best bet would be to contact a recruiter.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 02-13-2006, 16:41   #3
on target

Iíve been out of the Corps for 38 years, read my signature and check out my avatar. That pride represents only 4 years of my 60 but makes up the foundation of who I am as a citizen, neighbor, husband and father. I don't dwell on my service or think about it unless it comes up in conversation or when I'm passing a Marine recruiting poster or hear the Marine Corps Hymn and automatically stand at attention. When you hear the national anthem at a ball game you don't hear what a marine combat veteran hears, we hear sacrifice and those that aren't here so you can be at that ball game. Once a Marine is only for the Marine Corps, in other branches of the military you are ex Army, Navy or Air Force, Marines are former, in my case former Sergeant of Marines. Hope I'm making some sense to you; it can be the best investment of time you will make in your lifetime. And tell your friend, Semper Fi and thanks for serving.
Old 02-13-2006, 16:49   #4
eljay45
NRA member

Well said Sgt. Target
Old 02-13-2006, 17:15   #5
Ford302Glock21
Chrome Horsie

Send a message via AIM to Ford302Glock21 Send a message via Yahoo to Ford302Glock21

;? Thanks for the quick input guys. Luckily I got informed early that its a no-no to say ex at the same time as marine. A friend of mine was a Marine. I havent talked to him in awhile but I'm thinking about givin a call and askin for some advice.

I've often wondered about the "motivation" involved with any of the military training. It makes me nervous and kind of scared even though I think I could handle it. I mean how many others have been there and still standing.

Honestly, I dont fully understand all the happenings in joining up. It just seems to me that I can make so much more of myself by joining the military. I feel like it would give me all kinds of future job oppertunity as well as confidence and skills.

At the same time I have the thought that, perhaps it would be alot of suffering to just move on to the next thing. I see plenty of military people who dont impress me much if at all with their behavior and occupational choices. I know everyone is different so I can judge by that but its just one of those thoughts that pops in the head.
Old 02-13-2006, 19:40   #6
NetNinja
Always Faithful

Think very carefully on why you are joining the Marines.

List the reasons why on 1 side of a piece of paper and the reasons why not on the other side.

Joining the Marine Corps will be one of the most important decisions of your life and quite possibly be your first adult decision you make along with buying a house and who you are going to marry.

Hopefully you can do a search on a couple of my past posts answering the very same question you are asking.

2 movies that come very close to Marine Corps boot camp.
Full Metal Jacket
The boys in company C

I loved being a Marine but if I had to power to kick people out of the Corps for the lack of desire and dedication to duty I would have lost 90% of my shop.

If you want any questions answered Msg me I will try to steer you in the right direction.
S&W 1911, 686, M19, 627VComp,ColtDE10mm
Anschutz 1813 Super Match
NetNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 23:11   #7
USMC06
USMC Retired

Marine

What ever you decide to do I wish you well. If being a Marine is what you choose, then be ready for a life altering experience. Being a Marine is more akin to a calling then a career.

Many above have provided outstanding advice. Heed it well. The Marines are not for everyone. If it was, then it wouldn't be the Marines. If you qualify to be a leader of Marines then you will be part of an organization that has a legacy unequal in history.

Be prepared to be challenged - physically, mentally, spiritually. Be prepared to achieve that which is not easily achieveable. Be prepared to understand the phrase (coined by a friend of mine), "No best friend, no worst enemy."

If you make it to Officer Candidate School, make sure you arrive in the best physical condition of your life for you will be pushed beyond your limits. Also make sure you have no distractions. A lot will be asked of you every day and, unlike Bootcamp, it won't take much to send you home. I've been through both and can address both.

I can only leave you with one parting thought. My career cover part of five decades in uniform and there is not a year I would trade for anything else or for any amount of money.

Best to you and Semper Fi,
USMC06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:30   #8
Ford302Glock21
Chrome Horsie

Well I guess two things are what strike me the most. Life changing experience and intense physical work.

I wonder if I'm going to despise being forced to reform too far. I wonder if the physical aspect is geared towards big guys. The reason I say is that I'm a lightweight, skinny guy. I think of myself as athletic and strong for my size although I can't match up with the large football playing types.

Would I be pushing my limits or getting pushed to other people's limits? I surely dont want to be an anchor or a weakness.
Old 02-15-2006, 14:12   #9
USMCGrunt

Your size shouldn't be a problem at all. The training you would get at boot camp will make you stronger than you ever thought possible. If they think that you are "skinny" they will even make you double meals to add weight on you. The biggest thing you can do is simply be mentally prepared. What I mean by that is that you will be told when to eat, when to sleep, when to use the bathroom, how long to use the bathroom, how much time you have to eat (which won't be much) what exactly to wear. Every detail of every day in boot camp will be structured to form you into a Marine. At the beginning, everything you do will be wrong. You'll get yelled at and get "thrashed" with extra PT. As you are there, things will get easier and slowly, your life will change for ever. Personal pride in being a Marine will go a long way. For example, (not meant to disrespect other branches, just my observation) if you see a Marine on the street, chances are they will still look somewhat like a Marine. Short hair, military mannerisms, not putting on a lot of extra weight. Other branches, once they are out, most will grow long hair and stack on extra weight. (Some but not all, again, this is just my observation) The Marines are the smallest of all of the other branches and for the most part, you'll probably share experiences with a lot of Marines because of where you were based. That goes even further to make the Marines a Family. I'll close with this thought, if ANY Marine ever needed anything at all that I could offer them, I'll gladly help them any way that I can for no other reason than they are a Marine. I hope these ramblings help.
Old 02-15-2006, 15:14   #10
jazzmanDK

Back in the late 50's and 60's I traveled with a dance band. We played a lot of military bases from Monday thru Thursday, fancy country clubs Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I recall playing at Parris Island NCO and O clubs. Gotta tell ya, I never saw an out-of shape Marine.....in any pay grade.....

Best of luck

Don
Old 02-15-2006, 15:39   #11
Ford302Glock21
Chrome Horsie

Yea I do believe they'd be stuffing some food in me. I'd actually weigh more except that I have no cooking skills and I'm lazy when it comes to taking care of myself.

I would be right at the limit or maybe 10 pounds under just to enlist at 6'1 and 130 lbs. I have been trying to build muscle weight and do protein but I took a little break before I really got to the point of weight gain. I did gain a little strength but was having headache problems from working out hard.

I'm trying to get back into a routine slowly and stay dedicated to improving my body.
Old 02-19-2006, 19:29   #12
Solic

Send a message via AIM to Solic Send a message via Yahoo to Solic
Re: Anyone wanna tell me about the Marines?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford302Glock21
Just thought I'd post up and see what the people think. I thought about joining the military in high school when the recruiters were all over me for having a good asvab score I guess. I decided not to and went on to college. I've bee done with college for almost 2 years now and I decided to go to UTI to train as an automotive technician because I'm kind of a gear head.

Anywho, a friend of mine is in the process of joining up with the Marines as an officer and hes been telling me about it. I guess he got me thinking again about the military and why shouldnt I join up.

I tinkered with the Marine www site and got to know a little about the whole thing. Seems to be a more intriguing club to join. I have great respect for all branches of the military and I'm very interested in each of their histories, however, not sure what would be the best for me.

I see that the Marines are very focused on fitness which I think is very interesting as I've been trying to motivate myself to increase strength and fitness.
You tell your friend that's going to be an officer to listen to his NCO's
Solic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 19:54   #13
Phil306

Send a message via AIM to Phil306
As per usual, I'm going to have to take a different approach then most on this thread (imagine that).

First off, the Marine Corps is not a "club." Its a fighting force; the worlds elite fighting force. You join to learn to kill people, etc. Not to go golfing on the weekends and have a cocktails during happy hour.

Thinking of joining the Marine Corps and joining are two different things. Sit down, inventory yourself, and come up with why you want too. Not because it "sounds cool," they have "cool uniforms," or you don't know what else to do with your life.

Reading your original post, that is how it sounds to me; your not quite sure what the hell to do in life, so hey, what the hell, I'll join the Marine Corps. I served with too many people like that. They don't want to be there, when the going gets tough, etc.

If you want to be a Marine, to learn, to be the best, etc then go for it. If you want to join because it sounds cool, don't know what else to do in life, etc, join the Air Force. You will be, and the corps will be, better off in the long run.
Old 02-19-2006, 20:27   #14
USMC03Grunt

Well, let me put it this way. I spent my time in the Corps back from 88-92. I like to think rather than simply calling myself an American simply because this is the land I was born in, I can call myself an American because I did my time and earned that right.
Second, these days I'm 36 and going through the Air Force cop school. Yeah, I know but somebody has to help motivate these people!~2 The thing I get a kick out of is on formation runs outrunning kids half my age that just got out of boot camp and should be in the best shape of their lives. I credit that ability from my days in the Corps giving me the heart and drive to keep on going even when the body says quit and the pride of my time in the Corps to not allow them to see an old Marine quit! Does that sound like I'm proud of having been a Marine? ^c
So how 'bout it? Want some of that? Would you like to experience a life changing event that will stay with you for the rest of your days? You can sign your name on the contract and our DIs will give you the chance to prove yourself worthy of being one of us. It's no guarantee that you will make it all the way through (though the odds are on your side) but if you do, you will know that you have actually acomplished something in your life that not everybody will.
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 19:00   #15
reconvic
Recon Marine

The US Marine Corps Forum

No other service you have to make the cut, We Marines Earned the title

9er's club # 0321
2 G19,G34,G23 G23,G-22 G-30 G-21,Beretta FS92 brig. Sig 220 SAO, Sig 220 Equinox.Sid 220 match
Rem. BDL700 in .308, Ruger 10/22, Sig GSR, and A Kimber Gold Combat and Kimber Warrior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
reconvic is offline   Reply With Quote