Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:33   #1
FN64

Any ECHOLINK amateurs here?

I know at least one other GT member is on but was wondering about others.

www.echolink.org

FN64

--edit to fix linkie thingy--

"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa"

Last edited by FN64; 02-23-2006 at 09:37..
FN64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:27   #2
martho

I am no longer on echolink

(slight hijack, could be a fun discussion)

Echolink is very abundant and unfortunately, taking away from amateur activity in the spectrum.

You dont have to have ANY RF in the equation to do echolink. I can connect to you and you can connect to me and it is just like VOIP chat. There are repeaters where you can link and talk on the machines in that local area, however many people are just using it as a computer to computer chat.

As you can see, I am not a fan of echolink. At least with IRLP, there is some RF involved.

Echolink/IRLP etc are part of the huge amateur service. I just dont see why I need to be on an internet link when I have several transceivers to talk to other hams in other parts of the country/world. In a typical day, there is propagation on some band/mode which makes communication to nearly every part of the world possible all 24 hours.
martho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:17   #3
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

martho

I agree with you about Echolink etc. There are however some operators locally that keep in touch with their retired friend in FL via Echolink and 2-meters. I have played with it but never really took a liking to it.
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 13:48   #4
FN64

I'm not saying it replaces RF at all. It's another tool in the bag that's specific to ham operators. Ya know the person on the other end is a ham so work from there.

Theres a whole buncha folks willing to argue about it & do so in a heated manner over on QRZ. I have no opinion either way so I stay out of it & let 'em chew it over on that forum.

I've arranged SSTV, PSK & other "fuzzy" mode contacts on Echolink. "Hey let's try this on .073" "Sry heavy QRM here lets try .077" "RGR .077 clear here stand by for call". Plus several SSB contacts that wouldn't have happened if we didn't have a common "VOIP" for coordination. SOME of those are GT members trying to get a net happening.

"You dont have to have ANY RF in the equation to do echolink."
This is true but you CAN, if you desire, have RF on either or both ends. This is how I happened to have a contact with a deployed serviceman over the YI1IRQ-L in Baghdad whilst I'm driving down the road. Pretty cool if ya ask me!

I asked because Echolink might benifit some of the tech's here on GT either helping to upgrade or with the HF folks in getting a net established.

As a side note: I don't like tripe or chitlins but they're still part of the food chain & some folk swear by 'em.

So be it.

FN64

Old 02-23-2006, 14:27   #5
martho

I agree that it is another possiblity in the amateur place. Everyone has their choices as to what they do in this hobby. I am not against the alternative modes, I am just not a fan of Echolink.

This hobby is based and founded on RF. Without RF, I feel something is missing. I don't expect everyone to agree/disagree.

I do not read the eham/qrz forums as a result of the total lack of knowledge held by the posters. I am not going to argue code vs no code or the other ridiculous arguments which occur in those forums(or at least did a few years ago when I saw them)

As for YI, I worked YI 5 times in the last year on HF. Granted, it was not from my car.
Old 02-23-2006, 14:55   #6
martho

On a totally separate note,

Do you have 6m or 2m capabilites from FN64?

I have checked the log and I have 250 grids on 6m but dont have FN64. I dont have it on 2m, either.

Maybe we could set some type of sked for one of the digital modes during a rocks or other event?
Old 02-23-2006, 16:47   #7
FN64

martho:

The best I've done on RF is EA, DL & an occational I. Mostly on PSK or RTTY & a lot of that is due to a crappy antenna situation. (I'm workin on it....mostly after dark) Such is life in an apartment.

I did hear (see - PSK) a 4X but was too weak for solid copy.
Most of my current stateside SSB propagation is across the northern tier of US / southern V & eastward into G/M territory. Depending on the band condx I get W4 & W5 occationally .. usually greyline times.

My CW is shoddy & yes I'm ashamed to say it's due to lack of effort & frustration in getting good enough to feel comfortable in using it when other modes are easier.

Shoot me a PM with sked / freq / call. I have had QSO's with W9 in the past & perhaps we can hook up. I'm currently limited to 20M.

73 FN64

Old 02-23-2006, 18:10   #8
martho

Myself and a buddy will be putting forth a serious effort in the NAQP RTTY contest this weekend.

I havent decided if we are using the club call, a friend's call or mine. I will let you know before noon on Sat when it starts.

As for the sked, I need that grid on VHF/UHF. If you are limited to 20, then we should have no problem hooking up this weekend in the NAQP.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:14   #9
RUT

I used it for quite a while, but for one reason or another it ceased to work. It has all to do with the various and many firewalls I have on my computer, and I just never took the time to try and sort it out.

RUT
Ham Shack #11 (K1HS)
NRA since '63
USMC
"Foreign Aid: The transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries."
RUT is offline   Reply With Quote