Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:36   #1
72Cheyenne

Flashlight and mount for HD Shotgun

I'm looking for a good light and mount for my HD shotgun. Gun is a Winchester XSP Defender. 18.5 inch barrel. Stock 5 shot mag tube. Most everything I found was for a railed system. Budget $50 to $75. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my two-story outhouse.
72Cheyenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 13:14   #2
NYShooter

I don't know of any weapons grade lights or mounts, capable of withstanding the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun, that sell for anything close to $50 to $75.
NYShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:49   #3
72Cheyenne

That answers that. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:50   #4
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Surefire G2 for $50

http://www.opticsplanet.com/surefire...ashlights.html

Mounting is another matter all together...
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:41   #5
Buffering
The Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYShooter View Post
I don't know of any weapons grade lights or mounts, capable of withstanding the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun, that sell for anything close to $50 to $75.
Hey there, NYS. Long time no see or chat.

To take off on and reinforce what NYS said, this is an area where the sheer brutal recoil of a shotgun will quickly test and break cheap fecal matter.

At my March shotgun shoot there was a dude with his 870 and on there, bless his heart, was a cheap arse light and and and even cheaper mount. His heart knew what he wanted but the quality wasn't there.

I've been shooting for decades and over time you learn what gear works and doesn't and you just knew his stuff wasn't up to snuff. Sure enough, about a box of so into our rotations, his light and clamp broke and it sailed downrange.

I personally killed a Surefire L4 on my 870 so I went the other way and purchased the SF dedicated forend light. That's one tough mofo if you can swing the bucks.

If you can't, look at some of the Elzetta mounts and SF lights, like the one Gribble suggested. Other companies make good fecal matter too.

The SF G2 will work and while it does indeed throw light downrange, it's not ideal and you'll quickly realize that activation is a semi-PITA. It'll be fine for HD/SD but if you spend lots of quality time at the range taking night classes, dedicated is what you want.

This is one area where you almost have to spend the money and I'd venture that you can't get a quality light and clamp for less than $125, with a discount coupon, with free shipping and on sale.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus

Last edited by Buffering; 04-30-2014 at 10:44.. Reason: I had more stuff to say
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:07   #6
72Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffering View Post
Hey there, NYS. Long time no see or chat.

To take off on and reinforce what NYS said, this is an area where the sheer brutal recoil of a shotgun will quickly test and break cheap fecal matter.

At my March shotgun shoot there was a dude with his 870 and on there, bless his heart, was a cheap arse light and and and even cheaper mount. His heart knew what he wanted but the quality wasn't there.

I've been shooting for decades and over time you learn what gear works and doesn't and you just knew his stuff wasn't up to snuff. Sure enough, about a box of so into our rotations, his light and clamp broke and it sailed downrange.

I personally killed a Surefire L4 on my 870 so I went the other way and purchased the SF dedicated forend light. That's one tough mofo if you can swing the bucks.

If you can't, look at some of the Elzetta mounts and SF lights, like the one Gribble suggested. Other companies make good fecal matter too.

The SF G2 will work and while it does indeed throw light downrange, it's not ideal and you'll quickly realize that activation is a semi-PITA. It'll be fine for HD/SD but if you spend lots of quality time at the range taking night classes, dedicated is what you want.

This is one area where you almost have to spend the money and I'd venture that you can't get a quality light and clamp for less than $125, with a discount coupon, with free shipping and on sale.
I'm not planning to take any night courses. I've seen the Elzetta mount. I didn't want to pay over $100 but looks like I don't have a choice. Thanks so much.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited by 72Cheyenne; 04-30-2014 at 11:07..
Old 04-30-2014, 12:17   #7
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

To take off on and reenforce what the Buff one said...

Ditch the Winchester, get an older 870 from a pawn shop, function test the ever living **** out of it on some cardboard terrrrrists and then get the Surefire foreend!!

I'm not dissing Winchester, I have a Defender from 1994 that still goes bang all the time and I've put at least 5000 rounds of ammo through it in the 20 years I've owned it. It's just the aftermarket support is not there for them like it is with Mossberg and Remington. You'll soon learn that when you try to find quality mounting solutions to put the light on the foreend, which IMHO is a must on a pump gun.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:19   #8
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
To take off on and reenforce what the Buff one said...

Ditch the Winchester, get an older 870 from a pawn shop, function test the ever living **** out of it on some cardboard terrrrrists and then get the Surefire foreend!!

I'm not dissing Winchester, I have a Defender from 1994 that still goes bang all the time and I've put at least 5000 rounds of ammo through it in the 20 years I've owned it. It's just the aftermarket support is not there for them like it is with Mossberg and Remington. You'll soon learn that when you try to find quality mounting solutions to put the light on the foreend, which IMHO is a must on a pump gun.
Dale pretty much sums it up......
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 16:23   #9
collim1
Shower Time!

I know its not cheap, but the Surefire fore ends are unbeatable IMO. Now that the LED versions have been out for some years the older incandescant models are available for a lot cheaper. Less bright and less battery life, but still plenty for HD. Mine is still just fine, I don't need a light that projects 100 yards past the effective range of my weapon.

Be careful though, lots of Surefire fakes out there. Surefire has ways to verify authenticity on their website. Only problem is I would imagine lights that fit a Winchester are less common than the 870 and 500 models.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 16:38   #10
Jeremy_K

The 870 also has the Magpul MOE forend that you can add rail sections to.
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:09   #11
72Cheyenne

I'm looking for a used 870. LGS has one that is HD with synthetic stocks. If it has the extended mag tube I'm going to get it. I want to find wood stocks. I like the wood look better than synthetic. Here's for another project.
Old 05-03-2014, 14:13   #12
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Cheyenne View Post
I'm looking for a used 870. LGS has one that is HD with synthetic stocks. If it has the extended mag tube I'm going to get it. I want to find wood stocks. I like the wood look better than synthetic. Here's for another project.
I would honestly stick to the synthetic, simply because the most cost-effective way to mount a light to the 870 is to put a Magpul forend ($30) and either an Inforce WML ($120) or Streamlight TLR-1 ($110ish). That's just the cheapest way to mount a light that is going to hold up. I, too, really do prefer wood though.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:00   #13
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Anyone have experience with running a Surfire 6PX Defender on a shotgun? Just wondering how that is with recoil.
NH Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:32   #14
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
I would honestly stick to the synthetic, simply because the most cost-effective way to mount a light to the 870 is to put a Magpul forend ($30) and either an Inforce WML ($120) or Streamlight TLR-1 ($110ish). That's just the cheapest way to mount a light that is going to hold up. I, too, really do prefer wood though.
This is good advice. A shotgun really should have a weapon light with fully potted electronics. And, even things like battery compartment springs should not be a compromised which you get with these mentioned lights.

Cheap lights have, well... cheap innards. They will work... for a while. It's just a crapshoot when that will come to a halt.

Great post.

I went another way although similar in theory. My work shotgun has an ElZetta light in one of their mounts. Rugged doesn't begin to describe it. And since it's a shotgun I ordered the light with the Malkoff Device FLOOD rather than the pinpoint long beam and it's perfect for the work paces I put it thru.

Tactical Shotguns

Plus, I ditched the synthetic look for real wood so that the 590 would aesthetically align with some of my other guns I take/use at work.

Tactical Shotguns
in no particular order.........

Last edited by nitesite10mm; 05-04-2014 at 06:55..
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:57   #15
nylaw

I have MB500 with a Surefire M70 rail with this hanging from it with an LED G2.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fab-d...FUcV7AodHEkAhg
Attached Thumbnails
Tactical Shotguns - Click for larger version  
nylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 21:19   #16
72Cheyenne

Found a used 870 at the LGS. Traded the winchester in on it. Had a few scratches in stock but good shape otherwise. Looking to get a saddle shell holder soon. Let the fun begin.:D
Tactical Shotguns

Last edited by 72Cheyenne; 05-05-2014 at 21:20..
Old 05-05-2014, 21:44   #17
Inebriated

Looks good! Mesa Tactical makes a great side saddle.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 21:49   #18
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover

Your cat is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in no particular order.........
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 22:54   #19
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Cheyenne View Post
Found a used 870 at the LGS. Traded the winchester in on it. Had a few scratches in stock but good shape otherwise. Looking to get a saddle shell holder soon. Let the fun begin.:D
Tactical Shotguns

Side saddles are not always the answer. I find they really throw the balance off and tip the scales to an uncomfortable weight. With a 6 or 7 shot tube I find them unnecessary on a HD shotgun. Just my opinion, you may like the easy access of a reload. I have taken mine off and on several times in the last few years.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:26   #20
72Cheyenne

I may try a four shell holder. If I don't like it I can always remove it.

Last edited by 72Cheyenne; 05-06-2014 at 05:27..