Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2014, 16:20   #1
Glockdomination

Thoughts on Browning BPS for Home Defense

Seen one at a local store and it looks like its solid as a tank.
It looks like it loads and ejects through the bottom similar to an Ithaca 37 but I'm not sure how overall similar it is to the 37.
Are these things pretty reliable and would they be good for home defense provided the barrel is short enough?
Are there any issues to be concerned about?
Glockdomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 19:36   #2
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Any BPS model in particular that you're looking at? I would shy away from the hunting models, since that much barrel would be more hindrance than help.

Other than that, exactly what input are you looking for? It's a shotgun. Shotguns are fine home defense weapons.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 19:36   #3
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdomination View Post
Seen one at a local store and it looks like its solid as a tank.
It looks like it loads and ejects through the bottom similar to an Ithaca 37 but I'm not sure how overall similar it is to the 37.
Are these things pretty reliable and would they be good for home defense provided the barrel is short enough?
Are there any issues to be concerned about?
They are very well made. They are very reliable and would make a find defensive shotgun.

The only potential issue would be if you are uncomfortable with the bottom ejecting. It pretty much prevents loading directly into the chamber in any practical manner, if that is something you are interested in. Also, the aftermarket support for it is thin compared to the omnipresent 870 or 500/590 guns, if that matters to you.

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 21:01   #4
Glockdomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
Any BPS model in particular that you're looking at? I would shy away from the hunting models, since that much barrel would be more hindrance than help.

Other than that, exactly what input are you looking for? It's a shotgun. Shotguns are fine home defense weapons.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Upland 22 inch barrel. I'm good with that length.
Old 11-01-2014, 21:06   #5
Glockdomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
They are very well made. They are very reliable and would make a find defensive shotgun.

The only potential issue would be if you are uncomfortable with the bottom ejecting. It pretty much prevents loading directly into the chamber in any practical manner, if that is something you are interested in. Also, the aftermarket support for it is thin compared to the omnipresent 870 or 500/590 guns, if that matters to you.
That is a real positive endorsement thank you. I seem to recall that if you slide the forearm from the rear position just a little forward the steel guides move out of the way enough to do a direct chamber load if the gun is upside down.
Old 11-01-2014, 21:25   #6
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdomination View Post
That is a real positive endorsement thank you. I seem to recall that if you slide the forearm from the rear position just a little forward the steel guides move out of the way enough to do a direct chamber load if the gun is upside down.
That may be true, that's why I said this:

"It pretty much prevents loading directly into the chamber in any practical manner."

I don't know if what your proposing(unshouldering the gun, flipping it over, moving the bolt to the exact position needed, pushing a single round into the chamber, closing the action, flipping the gun back and reshouldering it) is more "practical" than simply keeping the gun shouldered, loading a round into the magazine in a normal manner(by feel) and then working the action.

I used those "weasel" words on purpose..........

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:15   #7
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Its a good shotgun and even with a hunting length barrel it will be fine for basic home defense. The bottom ejection doesn't bother me a bit as I grew up hunting and shooting Ithaca Model 37's. Like any weapon you just need to be fluent in the manual of arms for that particular design.

There isn't a bad guy in the world that would know the difference between being shot with a load of buckshot from across the room from a super tactical all black 870 or a BPS.

BPS has been around a long time and its earned a good reputation for reliability. Parts are no problem...Browning still supports the platform.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 15:01   #8
Glockdomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
There isn't a bad guy in the world that would know the difference between being shot with a load of buckshot from across the room from a super tactical all black 870 or a BPS.
LOL An 870 police or 590 A1 will cause the badguy to faint from the shock of awesomeness of the gun pointed at them.

I'll take classic wood and blue over the tactifool configurations.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:07   #9
Leigh

Their dedicated HD pump holds 5 in the mag tube, tang safety, synthetic stock.
20-inch bead sight and cylinder bore. Solid as any 590/870 made.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:14   #10
Leigh

In the early 1980's Browning made a dedicated "riot" pump gun with 18-inch barrel and wood furniture. It was a flop as the LE market was dominated by Remington and Ithaca (not so much by Mossberg in those days). Now, this version is quite collectable.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:22   #11
Bren
NRA Life Member

Probably a good gun - I had one once but traded it for a Remington 1100. I stick with Remington because parts and accessories, like barrels, magazine extensions, stocks, etc., are MUCH more plentiful and much cheaper than for any other brand.

For home defense, I'd buy a $150-200 used Remington 870 Express before I'd buy a BPS.

Last edited by Bren; 11-04-2014 at 09:22..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 16:25   #12
Glockdomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
In the early 1980's Browning made a dedicated "riot" pump gun with 18-inch barrel and wood furniture. It was a flop as the LE market was dominated by Remington and Ithaca (not so much by Mossberg in those days). Now, this version is quite collectable.
A new riot version would be nice, but it is not an option.

I'm considering having a long barrel cut shorter to arrive at the same thing.
Old 11-06-2014, 16:34   #13
Glockdomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Probably a good gun - I had one once but traded it for a Remington 1100. I stick with Remington because parts and accessories, like barrels, magazine extensions, stocks, etc., are MUCH more plentiful and much cheaper than for any other brand.

For home defense, I'd buy a $150-200 used Remington 870 Express before I'd buy a BPS.
I understand the versatility argument. However, I am keeping it wood stocked and don't have a need for a magazine extension. I want a simple barrel. I don't see a barrel disadvantage with a traditional vent rib 18" to 20" and a bead sight.