Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-10-2006, 17:26   #1
vantiger

Help and suggestions

I need some help planning my vacation. My wife and me are riding out west this July, so we are trying to get things planned out as early as possible. We are riding from Iowa out to Colorado, up to Yellowstone, Glacier, into Canada, down into Washington, the coast of Oregon, into California. Is the coast of Oregon good to ride. I am looking for good roads to ride in Northern California. We will be riding on Triumph Daytonas. Any help would be helpful. If you have any suggestions I would be happy.
vantiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 17:39   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

You'd love to cruise Highway 1 Pacific Coast Highway. It hugs the Pacific Ocean at a lot of places. Not to mention there are some serious twisties around the Bay Area. Highway 9 is supposedly a very mean & twisty road. perfect for your Daytonas. Stop by Alice's restaurant and take some photos. Alice's is a bike enthusiast's hangout in the Bay Area.

You can cruise all the way down past Santa Cruz to Pismo Beach on PCH. Highway 58 and Highway 33 also have some mean twisties.

If you and the old lady decide to go down all the way to SoCal, I'd love to take you to some of my favorite curves.

PS Go to http://www.southbayriders.com to ask for good riding routes in the Bay Area and Northern Kali.
Old 03-11-2006, 16:15   #3
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Check out the last few issues of Rider Magazine; they did rides in several of the areas you're looking at. It's a great magazine for those of us who just want to go "RIDE" and not cruise from bar to bar.

Here's a PDF of their Oregon/Calif ride...

http://www.riderreport.com/images/el...voriteRide.pdf

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 00:31   #4
BP44

Send a message via AIM to BP44 Send a message via Yahoo to BP44
I dont ride yet, but i have been up and down the oregon coast and i would have to say that I think it would be a great ride. It is twisty but their are some good open straches mixed in there as well Hope you have fun ;c
BP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:13   #5
Junkyard Dawg

Send a message via ICQ to Junkyard Dawg
Time permitting this company's publications are worth checking out. Having ridden some 80, of the 85 Destination Highways they have detailed in British Columbia, I can vouch for the accuracy of their descriptions. You may never want to go back east.

http://destinationhighways.com/
Junkyard Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:18   #6
BCM

BC is a beautiful place to ride! From Banff to Jasper is just awesome! Was there in '78 and '98
G1 niners #440
NECC #440
BRC #440
BCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 16:48   #7
vantiger

Thanks for the help. I will look into the books and magazines. We don't have anything set in stone yet. This bike trip will be alittle easier to plan than our last one to New Zealand. We are looking for some good twisty roads and good views. Thanks for the help and if anyone hears of anymore places let me know. Thanks. Eric
vantiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 19:23   #8
wrenrj1

Be sure to stop at Cabelas in Sidney, NE. The original store.