Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-12-2006, 15:41   #1
tyesai

Crew Chiefs

How many other crew chiefs out there? Come on yall know we are probably the nastiest group in the Fair Force. Lets hear some stories. Fighter guys and Cargo guys on equal footing, past and present welcome.
Old 03-12-2006, 20:48   #2
ricky

Current crew chief here as a reservist, was active duty served two years at Ramstein Germany and two at Tonopah Nv.

Been activated several times and just got back from Balad Iraq.

Currently assigned at Homestead Fl.
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 20:34   #3
RussP

A crew chief is the best friend of anyone wearing wings and not a crew chief!!!!!!!!

Puke in a plane, the crew chief is no longer your best friend...not your janitor or maid or mother...you lost it, you find all of it. Rank? What's that? {The smell if you don't clean up all of it!!}

It is the crew chief's aircraft...any questions? You borrow it in good condition...return in same condition, less normal wear and tear...bullet holes from small arms is not normal wear and tear.

Peg the g-meter and the crew chief gets really pissed...

Leaving the plane while it is still flying is a no-no. Leaving when the engine(s) quit may be acceptable.

Most importantly, in an aircraft where the crew chief stays on the ground, when that crew chief salutes as you leave on a combat mission, return it sharply and with respect, he (or she, now) has done his job... They are passing control to a Higher Authority...

Did I miss anything?

RussP
SSgt
USAF 1/67 - 1/71
Combat Photographer
126 Combat Missions by the Grace of God and some great Crew Chiefs

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 21:20   #4
habu3

Crew chief

Started my AF life as a B-52G crew chief. Our Bomb Wg was deactivated after VN so I moved to KC135Qs. The very unofficial motto of the Q model tanker was "We screw the Habu" since it pumped gas for the SR-71. Moved into the SR program after that which is why I use the handle I do. Not officially a Habu since I have not flown at mach 3+ but I smelled enough JP-7 and lost enough sleep on TDYs.
habu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 22:05   #5
Sgt_York

Retired AF crewed F-4's, A-10's and KC-135R's. SJ, Eglin, Taegu, England AFB, King Faud, KKMC, Griffiss, and McConnel.
77'-98'
Sgt_York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 13:38   #6
Jeff51
NRA Life Member

Crew chief B-52H at Minot AFB and Grand Forks AFB from '68 till '76 with time off to go to Thailand and Guam. And your right , It was MY AIRPLANE not the flying crews!!!!!
Big Dawg # 276,1911Club #276
G21,G30,G36 Club #276
Military Surplus #276,SKS #276
Kalashnikov Klub #276, Tactical Shotgun #276
S&W# 276,Black Rifle# 276
Jeff51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 16:41   #7
crewdog252

Only crewed F-15s so far. I've worked the flight line until last summer when i went to the MOC. It's been a nice break but, I'm going to Kadena and back to the line in May to work old C models. I hope to go to another fighter when i make Tech. Hopefully, A-10s.
crewdog252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 17:21   #8
Sgt_York

I was a Flying Tiger during Desert Storm, you will love the A-10. I crewed the 23 FW wing commander jet.
Old 03-15-2006, 19:27   #9
SCPO

crew crew

i was a crew chief on F-100D,F at homestead afb, fl. 1962-66.
SCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 20:34   #10
RussP

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff51
Crew chief B-52H at Minot AFB and Grand Forks AFB from '68 till '76 with time off to go to Thailand and Guam. And your right , It was MY AIRPLANE not the flying crews!!!!!
^c

Old 03-15-2006, 22:26   #11
Glockenbang76
Glockaholic

F-15 pilot versus shoulder harness

One of my favorite stories of being a crew dawg happened when I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath in the UK. As many of you know, only some pilots get their name put on the side of an aircraft (more pilots than aircraft). This particular day, I was crewing aircraft 86-0176, since it's dedicated crew chief was on leave. I was the assistant crew chief on 86-0171, and I was never fond of crewing other aircraft. Anyways, Captain Glen comes out to the aircraft, and he was glowing as if he just purchased a new Glock. I look up at the aircraft and realize that his name is on the side of 0176. As I give him the aircraft forms, he asks, "How's the pride of USAFE?" Being a smart ass, I snap back with, "171 is great. I'm sure you'll see it at EOR (end of runway)." He shot me the most evil look. So, I get him in the cockpit, and begin to help him get situated. The parachute risers are the harness buckles that go over the pilots shoulders and are fastened to the seat. Our standard procedure is to have the pilot click the buckle in place, and the crew chief tugs on it to be sure the buckle is fully engaged. Well.....it wasn't and the heavy buckle assembly tagged the top of Captain Glen's left eye socket. He doubles over in pain and begins to rub his eyebrow. He was pissed, and I was trying not to laugh. So the launch goes off without a problem and the aircraft leaves. About a half hour later, I go back to my spot to prepare for the aircraft recovery. The expediter pulls up and says someone else will recover the aircraft, and tells me to get in the truck. He procedes to tell me that Captain Glen radioed the tower to make sure I was not to be there when he returned. I sat in the truck as the aircraft returned. Capt. Glen gets out and you could see a nice strawberry on his left eyebrow. To this day that makes me laugh.
Glockenbang76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 20:33   #12
RussP

Glockenbang76, that is a great story!!!

;f ;f ;f

Old 03-22-2006, 18:48   #13
Lennyjoe

A-10 crew chief here. Haven't crewed in a couple of years though. Was in Flight Safety the last 2 years and now I'm a Flight Chief for an A-10 outfit.

Still going strong though with 20 + years.

Niner club #1966

40 club #1966
Lennyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 21:08   #14
Glockenbang76
Glockaholic

I love A-10s. They are so simple to work on, yet so cool. I remember in fundamentals replacing the utility hydro system on an A-10. It only took an hour. For a 15, that job would take atleast three times as long. The Air Force will always be hard-pressed to replace that cannon with wings.
Old 03-22-2006, 21:57   #15
Sgt_York

You think a F-15 is bad try an F-4, I love the A-10. Although I can say troubleshooting/changing a vib sensor isn't a lot of fun.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:48   #16
Cruisin23

I'm at Sheppard now. 25 more training days here, on to Tyndall, Then back to my Guard unit: 173d FW Kingsley Field, OR to Crew F-15s
Old 03-24-2006, 07:45   #17
Glockenbang76
Glockaholic

Never said an F-15 was bad....but an A-10 is way more simple to work on. F-4s? I've heard engine changes on those are a nightmare!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:56   #18
Glockenbang76
Glockaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruisin23
I'm at Sheppard now. 25 more training days here, on to Tyndall, Then back to my Guard unit: 173d FW Kingsley Field, OR to Crew F-15s
Cruisin,
I was doing exactly what you are learning (Tech school) exactly ten years ago today. Tech school in Texas will be the worst part of your AF career. Tyndall was a brand new program when I went through. In fact, the dorm rooms (which were right next to the beach) were recently refurbished when I arrived there. I had a lot of fun there, and it's cool to be working an a live F-15. Too bad Tyndall's F-15s are old C Models with f100 engines. However, you'll be working with old F-15s anyways at te guard unit, so it will be pretty similar to you. Is McCollough Hall still around in Sheppard?
Old 03-24-2006, 16:30   #19
jackb
Pil Sung!

I've been reading this forum forever, but this thread has finally got me to post something.

A-10 Crew Chief here. First stationed at Pope, then Osan (Pil Sung!) and I've been at Eielson for about a year and a half now. Back in Bagram again at the moment.
jackb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 18:54   #20
Glockenbang76
Glockaholic

A-10s are da bomb! Too bad a lot of them are no longer painted in the camo scheme.