SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2006, 15:32   #1
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Sport Touring here I come!!!

I just installed a pannier system for my Beemer. I've been putting the purchase off citing the reason that the mounting frame makes my bike look ungainly but the fact of the matter is that I didn't want to shell out $1200 (somewhere around there) for a couple of plastic boxes no matter how well made they are. However I recently changed my mind because I got a slightly used set for $300: mounting frame, hard side panniers and soft tail bag.

BMW operator's manual recommended to keep the speed to no more than 80-MPH when these bags are mounted. Well, ya know, I had to try to go a bit faster than that for the pursuit of science.

Those Chermannn Enchineerrs ain't BSing around. At around 100-MPH, the tail end does shake a bit. I didn't feel like I'm going out of control, but it felt uncomfortable. At 80, it's planted solid like usual.

Here's a couple of pics of what the panniers are like. They aren't my photos and they don't show the soft tail bag either.

Moto Club
Moto Club Moto Club
Old 03-18-2006, 10:32   #2
.45 Combat

Touring

Thanks for sharing that informantion, I'm a wanta be street rider, and touring this country of ours is a real dream.

But for now I've got two VERY CLEAN dirt bikes, one is a KTM 450 MXC, the other is a Honda 250 XR, both are '03 models. I just gotta get on them. And these are my starter bikes to boot.

My wanting to ride is a long story in itself. But good luck in touring, some day I might be riding and touring with the rest of you.
.45 Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 14:42   #3
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Once you go bagger, you never go back.

Moto Club

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 15:03   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The cases sure come in handy, but, man, they cut down my lane splitting ability. I won't ride with them on around town. It's strictly for 2+ days kind of trip. I figure I can strap a backpack to the rear seat in addition to the top case and the side cases and will have more than enough clothings and amenities to do a long road trip.

Maybe next year when work isn't quite as bad, I'll take two weeks off and ride out to do the Tail of the Dragon.
Old 03-20-2006, 15:18   #5
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
The cases sure come in handy, but, man, they cut down my lane splitting ability.
How much wider are they than the handlebars? My bags are less wide than my bars so if I don't smack my fingers I know the bags won't hit.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Old 03-20-2006, 19:45   #6
Griffin1340

Nice Beemer, Got long legs with those big gas tanks? BMW is the only other big road bike I'd own. I could add to the Harley tatto.

Check out the Aerostitch website for more sport touring stuff.
Griffin1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 20:55   #7
Catbird
loves guns!

I sold this '96 RT last summer when I bought my '05 RT. The bags look the same (or close to it) as the ones on the Rockster. I never noticed a squirrely rear end with mine at any speed, but maybe it's because the windshield/fairing was busting the wind for me.

Moto Club
Old 03-20-2006, 21:08   #8
Kastivich01

Im jealous of you sport-touring guys. I did a 800 mile stint on my CBR F4 last summer. It wouldnt have been so bad but that back pack is a killer after a couple hours. Im hoping to hit some open rodes this summer.
Kastivich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 21:16   #9
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by Kastivich01
Im jealous of you sport-touring guys. I did a 800 mile stint on my CBR F4 last summer. It wouldnt have been so bad but that back pack is a killer after a couple hours. Im hoping to hit some open rodes this summer.
Don't they make soft bags for your bike?

Old 03-21-2006, 09:24   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The hard cases for my Rockster is very similar to the cases on the RT with the exception of the left side where mine is much smaller due to the higher mounted exhaust pipe. The standard cases stick about maybe three inches out further than the handle bars. The extra large lids stick out even farther than that.

And the tank on the Rockster looks bigger than it is. It has a decent capacity of 5.4-gallons. The bulkier front parts are actually the oil coolers. The engine is air/oil cooled. Right now with all the mods I did to it (high compression pistons, exhaust accelerator, K&N filter, tuned Power Commander, full exhaust), I only get around 35-MPG instead of stock's 45-MPG.

For the other bikes that don't come with factory mounts, there are several softbags available for them. Givi makes some. Touratech makes some. And I think that there's an outfit called Odyssey also makes some.

Last year I rode with a backpack to Albuquerque and it was definitely unpleasant. Bearable but unpleasant.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:45   #11
Kastivich01

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas T
Don't they make soft bags for your bike?
Im sure they do but when I went it was a spur of the moment kind of thing and I didnt have a chance to get any baggage.
Kastivich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 22:56   #12
jim c

those are not panniers, panniers are metal side cases that look like tall, skinny metal coolers.
they are RT side cases with the extra large lids. which is why they suggest nothing over X MPH. $300 used complete is a good deal.
you can change those out to standard, or even city lids for round town. there is a clamp system that makes changing of the bag covers easy.
www.bmwrt.com for bmw oilhead info or www.ibmwr.org for the marketplace forms to buy and sell any bmw items.
jim c is offline   Reply With Quote