Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2006, 18:36   #1
torrejon224

VA Claim Assistance

FYI, after I retired from the USAF, I spent 15 years as a Disabled Vets rep fighting the VA to make sure my fellow vets got what they were entitled to. Currently, I am retired on 100% VA disability and have a lot of time on my hands. I would be more than happy to assist anyone having problems getting a claim thru the VA.
torrejon224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 17:14   #2
BilltheCat
Quieter Cat

I am on a 20% rating. I went to the local clinic and got my hearing retested and they said hearing no change. BS. They said my left leg and knee is a mess and "looks like it hurts on the xray" but offer nothing. 20% is my end point I guess.

Medical service is still a shame in my opinion and has never improved much for me since the 80's.

I feel like a Bonus soldier. You know anyone in the Orlando greater area that is a bulldog on helping fight the cement wall?
veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
BilltheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 13:19   #3
Steve 48

Took me 2 1/2 years to get a 10% rating on my hand that is basically non-functional from an accident in the service that happened in 1969. They wanted to amputate 2 fingers then I could get 20%. I told them where to stick it.10% and my grip was more worth it. Steve 48
Old 06-24-2006, 18:38   #4
AirAssault
Übermensch

i just filled out the paperwork and submitted my claim for PTSD.

it's taken me since 1991 to come to terms with having PTSD and actually doing something proactive about it.

now what?

what do i can i expect?

what do i need to know?
AirAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 23:33   #5
michael t

Quote:
Originally posted by AirAssault
i just filled out the paperwork and submitted my claim for PTSD.

it's taken me since 1991 to come to terms with having PTSD and actually doing something proactive about it.

now what?

what do i can i expect?

what do i need to know?
More than likely a couple years of paper work and a couple of exams Then you will get 10 or 20% Then you start appeals I started my last case in Aug 2001 I was at 10% I filed on a new health problem I was raised to 30% in July 2003 I suffered massive heart attack 20 days later and filed appeal sept 2003 In july 2005 I was raised to 60% appealed that and today. I got the word that I am now perm 100% back to 2003. I have a very nice check coming.
Takes a while I filed for my SS Jan 04 and was 58 days till found 100% and check in mail.
Now check this BS my son 101st Iraq vet filed on discharge and in 60 days was approve at 40% (messed up foot and skin disorder) He said they must handle new vet claims faster now by law.

Don give up the system is slow but you keep going Also get some help for the PTSD I went 2 times a week for over a year . Get some body to be you Rep and help with paper work also keep records of everything you send or recive from VA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
michael t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:32   #6
AirAssault
Übermensch

my son was born (1996) with Group Beta Strep.

he also has been diagnosed with ADHD and an emotional disorder (possible bi-polar).

would the VA do anything for him?
Old 06-29-2006, 13:12   #7
torrejon224

No, unless they can connect his illness to something you were exposed to. Even then, it would take forever. VA is for the Veteran and for Spouses and Children under 18 of vets who die due to a service connected disability.
torrejon224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:34   #8
Cava3r4

only took me from 1969 to 1998 to get my VA comp.
It was all on my records at the time and the army even retired me due to disability.
I'm lucky....I know some guys who STILL arn't getting what they have coming.
I look at the VA as more like the "anti veterans administration".
They caused more PTSD in me then combat did.
Bob
Cava3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:40   #9
hankhan

I got out in 1966 - disabled Vietnam vet. I went back a few times for required exams - they'd send me a letter every year or so requiring I show up. They stopped sending me letters a long time ago, now I stay away from them. They are really a disgusting aministration and do everything in their power to screw people who served their country. When you get services/etc from them it's like you're taking it out of the pocket of the a**hole you're dealing with.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:44   #10
dustinO

I got discharged just over a year ago for sever high frequency neuro some crap. I am still waiting to find out what is my outcome because I had to claim my hearing loss, PTSD from Iraq, sinusitus, and a few more. I have yet to hear back from the VA. My VA rep was a complete ass about getting the paperwork done. Since being out, I have tried to get back in and there is no recruiter thatwill talk to me when they look at my DD214. anyway, I feel the VA needs to reconsider how they operate and get things done. Or maybe it was just the VA rep in Itally doesn't care.
dustinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 13:55   #11
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:
Originally posted by torrejon224
No, unless they can connect his illness to something you were exposed to. Even then, it would take forever. VA is for the Veteran and for Spouses and Children under 18 of vets who die due to a service connected disability.
You do not have to be dead for the VA to provide servises to your spouse or children. The VA is mandated by law to provide services for spouses or children of vets who die or are 100% total permament disabled. Other than death benefits and internment they are covered under CHAMPVA (not to be confused with TRICARE or the old CHAMPUS). Benefits do not nessasarily end when your child becomes 18. depending if you have what the VA determins is "a helpless adult child" or you child is in highschool until the age of 19 or if your child attends an acredited school you will recieve money for their education and they will still recieve medical benefits until the age of 23. please see http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiari...va/champva.asp

If you have a child who was born with a disibility and you have a rating due to AO exspouser or an undiignosed Gulf war illness even if you are not 100% total permament your child may be eligible for CHAMPVA but most likely would be covered under the social security Admin. please contact a servise officer for more help.

Last edited by Marine8541; 07-24-2006 at 14:25..
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:33   #12
AirAssault
Übermensch

Quote:
Originally posted by Marine8541
You do not have to be dead for the VA to provide servises to your spouse or children. The VA is mandated by law to provide services for spouses or children of vets who die or are 100% total permament disabled. Other than death benefits and internment they are covered under CHAMPVA (not to be confused with TRICARE or the old CHAMPUS). Benefits do not nessasarily end when your child becomes 18. depending if you have what the VA determins is "a helpless adult child" or you child is in highschool until the age of 19 or if your child attends an acredited school you will recieve money for their education and they will still recieve medical benefits until the age of 23. please see http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiari...va/champva.asp

If you have a child who was born with a disibility and you have a rating due to AO exspouser or an undiignosed Gulf war illness even if you are not 100% total permament your child may be eligible for CHAMPVA but most likely would be covered under the social security Admin. please contact a servise officer for more help.
i have an appointment on 01AUG06 to see my local county veteran's service officer.
Old 07-27-2006, 20:41   #13
JimmyMN
Veteran Member

I've learned that the starting point is with your County's Veterans Services Rep. In my case, he put my claim through with Disabled American Veterans (DAV) representing me. About three months later I was approved, 100% service-connected disability, total and permanent.

With my benefits, which include compensation and medical care, come benefits for my wife. She is covered by CHAMPVA insurance, which they provide.

I was a draftee, served in Nam 1969-70, only active a total of 23 1/2 months, and now some 36 years later they are taking care of me. My disease (Multiple Myeloma) is "presumptive to Agent Orange exposure". While I'd rather be healthy, what came along resulted from my Army time, and I have been treated fairly and with respect by VA. With that in mind, I can't complain, but just do the best I can and be thankful for their help.
Old 07-27-2006, 20:41   #14
JimmyMN
Veteran Member

Sorry...posted twice and couldn't get it to delete...help please, admins.

Last edited by JimmyMN; 07-27-2006 at 20:45..
JimmyMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 22:58   #15
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyMN
I've learned that the starting point is with your County's Veterans Services Rep. In my case, he put my claim through with Disabled American Veterans (DAV) representing me. About three months later I was approved, 100% service-connected disability, total and permanent.

With my benefits, which include compensation and medical care, come benefits for my wife. She is covered by CHAMPVA insurance, which they provide.

Don't forget you are also eligable for any MWR (moral, welfare and recreation) that any base provides also. stuff like wills, tax prep, commissary, PX what ever the base offers the the active duty for MWR you get it to. BTW god bless and thanks for the servise.
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 16:58   #16
JimmyMN
Veteran Member

Yes, we've used MWR privileges, staying recently at a Navy resort in Pacific Beach, WA. While there seems to be some debate among veterans about whether 100% service-connected disabled vets are eligible, we have also used Navy Lodges and Air Force Inns--I've learned that when you ask and clearly explain your status, folks say yes, even when it is a gray area in the printed word.

I learned that here in MN, I am eligible for free hunting and fishing licenses, even a small reduction in my property taxes.

There is even the Golden Access Passport, enabling entry to National Parks at no cost.

We've found a multitude of benefits, from large to small, which have been helpful. Not only VA, but other organizations recognize service-connected disability and offer to help out.
Old 07-31-2006, 13:11   #17
Ironhorserider

P.T.S.D.

I was wanting to know if anyone else has the same happening to them as i do. I was awarded 100% disabled with P.T.S.D. with a nervous condition and in my paperwork i recieved from the V.A. they said i was to be re- evaluerated(spelling) in oct 2006 and no where does it say i'm perm. I just got my award in 1964. I have been fighting P.T.S.D. since 1962 had to quit my business and got on SSD because of it so can someone tell me what i'm in for when they call me back in i'm worried they are trying to take my 100% away from me. I just can't figure out why i'm the only one with this award. I'm going to the V.A. for my condition and i'm on meds for it.HELP PLEASE
Ironhorserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 13:32   #18
Ironhorserider

Re: P.T.S.D.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironhorserider
I was wanting to know if anyone else has the same happening to them as i do. I was awarded 100% disabled with P.T.S.D. with a nervous condition and in my paperwork i recieved from the V.A. they said i was to be re- evaluerated(spelling) in oct 2006 and no where does it say i'm perm. I just got my award in 1964. I have been fighting P.T.S.D. since 1962 had to quit my business and got on SSD because of it so can someone tell me what i'm in for when they call me back in i'm worried they are trying to take my 100% away from me. I just can't figure out why i'm the only one with this award. I'm going to the V.A. for my condition and i'm on meds for it.HELP PLEASE
TYPO I JUST GOT MY REWARD IN 2004
Old 07-31-2006, 15:44   #19
JimmyMN
Veteran Member

Ironhorserider, my experience may help shed light on your situation.

In the document that I received that announced the decision that I was 100 service-connected, there was an area with the heading, "Reasons For Decision." In one paragraph in there, the last sentence read, "No future examinations will be requested as it has been determined that your disability is permanent and total in nature."

The statement was pretty much buried in with all the other info, but as you can see, the wording is clear. Unless you have that announced to you, I'd guess that you are subject to future exams.

I don't know who you had represent you with your claim, but for me it was Disabled American Veterans (DAV), so whenever I have a question, they are there to help. If you don't have a relationship with such an organization, I highly recommend that you get it in place, for they are very knowledgable and helpful with questions, appeals, etc.
Old 07-31-2006, 16:13   #20
Ironhorserider

P.T.S.D.

Thanks for your reply can i reach DAV through the internet with my question and be represented?I was repsented by the State of Alabama Dept.of Veterans Affairs A Claims Representative.I have talked to him a while back and he said not to worry about it but it bothers me not knowing the outcome. Have you heard of anyone that has had there award taken away from them?