Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-12-2007, 17:07   #201
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally posted by Santa CruZin
Fruit Liqueurs

This makes for an excellent gift for friends at Christmas, or if properly presented (such as in a heart shaped, corked bottle), one heck of an effective romantic present for that special someone...

[/B]
Oooooh, I know what a friend is getting for Christmas this year!
Old 07-12-2007, 17:15   #202
MrsKitty

Salsa

It is summer time! I made my first batch of salsa the other night, as taught by a little old Mexican lady I call Mama Bustamante

2 jalapeños, chop finely and seed if you want it milder or add more chilies if you want it hotter

3+ tablespoons chopped garlic

1 onion, chop finely

Saute in corn oil (authentic) or olive oil (me!)

When soft, but not brown, add:

~quart of chopped tomatoes or HOME canned tomatoes
~tablespoon of salt

Simmer until the chopped tomatoes soften, if fresh. About ten minutes if canned.

Remove from heat and add half a bunch of chopped cilantro.

I add Lucas Limon as I eat it. It is a lemon-salt I get from Mexican stores. I have never found it in a traditional grocery store. You can also add lemon juice or just eat it as it is.

I love it still warm!
Old 07-12-2007, 17:24   #203
MrsKitty

Mexican Rice

Mama Bustamante taught me this one, too. I have had Mexicans tell me "that tastes just like my Mama's did!"

Mama Bustamante cooks like I do, by eye, so I am going to guesstimate at amounts. Feel free to adjust!

Saute until the rice is golden brown:

a chopped onion
~4 tablespoons of garlic
1 cup uncooked rice (you can also use the little funky pasta like stars or alphabets)
corn oil (again, I use olive oil but corn oil is authentic)

Add:
a quart of tomatoes (you can use crushed/diced but I use home canned or chopped fresh when I have them)
one can chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste
a LOT of cumin (I would guess at least a couple tablespoons)

Cook until rice is done. Add water during cooking if you need.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:28   #204
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Quote:
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Mexican Rice

Mama Bustamante taught me this one, too. I have had Mexicans tell me "that tastes just like my Mama's did!"

Mama Bustamante cooks like I do, by eye, so I am going to guesstimate at amounts. Feel free to adjust!

Saute until the rice is golden brown:

a chopped onion
~4 tablespoons of garlic
1 cup uncooked rice (you can also use the little funky pasta like stars or alphabets)
corn oil (again, I use olive oil but corn oil is authentic)

Add:
a quart of tomatoes (you can use crushed/diced but I use home canned or chopped fresh when I have them)
one can chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste
a LOT of cumin (I would guess at least a couple tablespoons)

Cook until rice is done. Add water during cooking if you need.
Me and STG are going to be ALL OVER this one! Thank ya!
Old 07-19-2007, 11:10   #205
kcb
Southern Lady

Ice Cream Dish

Ice Cream Dish

My Aunt taught me to make this dish when I was in high school. She taught me using Vanilla Ice Cream and Vanilla Wafers, with Chocolate Syrup.

Well, with all of the different varieties of Ice Cream and cookies out there, I decided the sky is the limit for what you can create with the basic recipe:

A package of Cookies. (When Codive came, I used a package of Oreos.)
A gallon of Ice Cream. ( " " " , I used Cookies and Cream Ice
Cream)
Hersheys Syrup. (I used Chocolate Flavor.) I buy a LARGE bottle of Hershey's Syrup. This is always plenty!!!
A large container of Cool whip. (I always get the light, fatfree,etc)...Gotta save calories wherever you can, right?

I use a large rectangle shape Tupperware container (so I can seal it and store it in the freezer) to make and serve the Ice Cream Dish.

First...Crush/crumble enough Cookies to cover the bottom of the container. (I think my aunt melted some butter and mixed it with the crumbs, but I stopped doing that years ago, and the syrup holds it together fine. I don't need the extra calories.)

Second. Drizzle Hershey's Syrup over the Cookies, cover it well or to your taste/desire.

Third. Slice the Ice Cream into squares and lay ontop of Cookies and
Syrup. (The new fancy containers are a little more challenging than the old Ice Cream Boxes! But a Great set of Knives makes all the difference!) This should use all or most of the Ice Cream.

Fourth. I crumble a few more cookies and drizzle a little more syrup on top of the Ice Cream.

Fifth. Completely cover the top with the Cool Whip, sealing the edges.

Sixth. Crumble the last few cookies over the top of the Cool Whip, or place a few cookies on the top. You can also put Cherries, Strawberries, or anything else that you like on the top of Ice Cream
on the top when ready to serve.

Seventh. Cover and Freeze.

To Serve. Cut like pieces of a cake, place in a bowl, and eat!

I've never had a dissatisfied customer!

I've used the following combination of cookies/Ice Cream:

Chocolate Chip Cookies/ Cookie Dough Ice Cream/ Chocolate Syrup

Chocolate Ice Cream/Chocolate Cookie (anykind/ Chocolate Syrup (too much Chocolate for me!)

A friend suggested....

Mint Chocolate Chip/ Chocolate Chip Cookie/Chocolate Syrup...I can't wait to try that!

I can't remember all of the combinations I've tried right now, but you are only limited by your imagination and good taste!

Enjoy! It's too easy! The worse part is how cold your hands get while slicing the ice cream!!!

It's rich and filling!

Karen

Last edited by kcb; 07-19-2007 at 11:56..
kcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:28   #206
sweetatergal

Re: Ice Cream Dish

Quote:
Originally posted by kcb
Ice Cream Dish
Ummmm nothing there.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:32   #207
kcb
Southern Lady

Re: Re: Ice Cream Dish

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetatergal
Ummmm nothing there.

There is now! I've been editing this the whole time!

Everyonce in awhile...I manage to submit reply before I finish my post!

This was one of those times!!

Sorry!

Karen
Old 07-19-2007, 11:37   #208
sweetatergal

Yummy! That sounds really good! Thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52   #209
kcb
Southern Lady

Quote:
Yummy! That sounds really good! Thanks.

You are welcome!!!

It's hard to mess it up!! It is yummy!!!

Note: I am going to add, that I buy a large bottle of Hershey's syrup. That is ALWAYS plenty!!!

Karen

Last edited by kcb; 07-19-2007 at 11:55..
Old 07-26-2007, 10:38   #210
kafromet
KA from ET

Since I mentioned Squash Relish in another thread and had several folks say they had never heard of it:

8c. chopped yellow squash (about 1/4 inch cubes)
3 medium sweet peppers, chopped medium fine
2. onions, chopped medium fine
1/4c. salt

Mix the above ingredients, in a glass or plastic bowl, cover with ice and let stand 2-3 hrs. Rinse in cold water and drain.

Pickling liquid:
2c. white vinegar
2 3/4c. sugar
2t. celery seed
2t. mustard seed (white or yellow)

Place liquid and veggies in a non-reactive pan (never use an aluminum pan, stainless, enamel or glass are fine) and bring to a boil. Ladle into sterilized canning jars and seal at once. Will keep on a shelf for quite awhile if sealed properly. (like any other home-canned food, if the seal doesn't "pop" when you first open the jar, it didn't seal right and probably isn't safe to eat)

You can add a bit of chopped jalapeno (or pepper of your choice) if you'd like to make a sweet and spicy version.

I eat this on just about any type of beans or black-eyed peas, and may have occasionally eaten it right out of the jar with a spoon.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26   #211
kafromet
KA from ET

Quote:
LOL! My mom does the same thing. Half the time I ask her for a recipe she has to go make it, and measure out ingredients she normally just tosses in, so that she can tell me how much she uses.

Old 07-26-2007, 14:45   #212
kcb
Southern Lady

Quote:
Originally posted by kafromet
LOL! My mom does the same thing. Half the time I ask her for a recipe she has to go make it, and measure out ingredients she normally just tosses in, so that she can tell me how much she uses.

I was taught that way, and that is how I cook! Unless I am following someone else's recipe, I rarely measure...it's just a little of this and some of that...a dash of that!

My grandma was like that, my favorite and best cook aunt, and my mom!

Karen
Old 07-30-2007, 12:35   #213
sweetatergal

Quote:
Originally posted by kcb
I was taught that way, and that is how I cook! Unless I am following someone else's recipe, I rarely measure...it's just a little of this and some of that...a dash of that!

My grandma was like that, my favorite and best cook aunt, and my mom!

My grandmother cooked that way and so does my aunt (her daughter). Luckly, I understand the "measurements".
Old 07-30-2007, 13:58   #214
kafromet
KA from ET

Quote:
Luckly, I understand the "measurements".
LOL! I'm probably one of the only men on the planet that knows how much salt will just cover the palm of my mother's hand.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:55   #215
Washington,D.C.

MOROCCAN-STYLE SHEPHERD'S PIE

MOROCCAN-STYLE SHEPHERD'S PIE

Serves 6

Ingredients for the meat base: 2 tablespoons butter * 1 onion, diced * 1 kg(2.2lbs) ostrich mince(ground) * 1 carrot, grated * 2 – 4 tablespoons tomato purée * 2 tablespoons tomato sauce * 4 tablespoons red wine * 1 teaspoon chilli flakes * 2 garlic cloves, chopped * 2 teaspoons ground cumin * 50 ml chutney

* salt and freshly ground black pepper.

For the topping: 6 potatoes, peeled and diced * 4 broccoli heads, cut into florets * 60 g butter * salt and freshly ground black pepper * chives to garnish

Method: Preheat the oven to a moderate 180 ºC (350 ºF/Gas 4). For the meat base, heat the butter in a large frying pan and when it begins to foam, add the diced onion and the ostrich mince. Sauté for 6 – 8 minutes or until brown. Add the grated carrot, tomato purée, tomato sauce, red wine and chilli flakes. Stir well and raise the heat to a rapid simmer. Cook for a further 2 – 4 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and chutney and season to taste. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes longer.

For the topping, boil the potatoes in plenty of water for 6 – 8 minutes. Add the broccoli florets and cook for a further 4 – 6 minutes. Drain into a bowl, then mash with the butter and season to taste. To assemble the dish, place meat on bottom of a pre-sprayed ovenproof dish. Top with the potato and broccoli mash. Place in oven, uncovered, until heated through (± 20 minutes). Serve garnished with chives.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:29   #216
kafromet
KA from ET

Think that would work okay with turkey instead of ostrich?
Old 08-07-2007, 14:56   #217
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Ingredients:
1.) 532.35 cm3 gluten
2.) 4.9 cm3 NaHCO3
3.) 4.9 cm3 refined halite
4.) 236.6 cm3 partially hydrogenated tallow triglyceride
5.) 177.45 cm3 crystalline C12H22O11
6.) 177.45 cm3 unrefined C12H22O11
7.) 4.9 cm3 methyl ether of protocatechuic aldehyde
8.) Two calcium carbonate-encapsulated avian albumen-coated protein
9.) 473.2 cm3 theobroma cacao
10.) 236.6 cm3 de-encapsulated legume meats (sieve size 10)

To a 2-L jacketed round reactor vessel (reactor 1) with an overall heat transfer coefficient of about 100 Btu/F-ft2-hr, add ingredients one, two and three with constant agitation. In a second 2-L reactor vessel with a radial flow impeller operating at 100 rpm, add ingredients four, five, six, and seven until the mixture is homogenous.
To reactor 2, add ingredient eight, followed by three equal volumes of the homogenous mixture in reactor 1. Additionally, add ingredient nine and ten slowly, with constant agitation. Care must be taken at this point in the reaction to control any temperature rise that may be the result of an exothermic reaction. Using a screw extrude attached to a #4 nodulizer, place the mixture piece-meal on a 316SS sheet (300 x 600 mm). Heat in a 460K oven for a period of time that is in agreement with Frank & Johnston's first order rate expression (see JACOS, 21, 55), or until golden brown. Once the reaction is complete, place the sheet on a 25C heat-transfer table, allowing the product to come to equilibrium.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:43   #218
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Quote:
Oooooh, I know what a friend is getting for Christmas this year!

Cool! Feel free to PM me if you want any tips on specific variants, and don't wait so far into the year to get started that you can't find the fresh fruit.

Pomegranate liqueur is DA BOMB.
Old 08-09-2007, 18:58   #219
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

For the puppies: Human-Friendly Dog Cookies

I didn't see this Foodnetwork ep, but I did just see this recipe now as I was looking for something else. With all the tainted pet products scares recently, this sounded like a nifty idea - PLUS, it would make a nice holiday present! (Ok, ok, the image is a bit cheesy, but still... )

OX & Alex Forum

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._35366,00.html
Quote:
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 15 cookies

2 cups whole-wheat flour, plus more for rolling
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
1/4 cup carob chips
1/4 cup honey
2 to 3 tablespoons water, as needed

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets.

Put the flour, cornmeal, wheat germ, and cinnamon into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the eggs, carob chips, honey, and 1 tablespoon water. Use your hands to mix the ingredients together and form a smooth dough. If it feels too dry, add more water. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest 10 minutes. (Can be made ahead and refrigerated, just let it warm up a bit before rolling.)
Dust your counter with some flour and roll the dough out until it is 1/4-inch thick using more flour as needed so it doesn't stick. Cut into shapes using a dog bone shaped cookie cutter, or use a knife to make the same shape. You can re-roll the scraps and cut out more cookies. Place on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cookies are well browned. Remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
(The Wreckers; "Stand Still; Look Pretty")
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 20:33   #220
Pinki
CLM Number
Kiss My Glock

Re: For the puppies: Human-Friendly Dog Cookies

Quote:
Originally posted by MB-G26
I didn't see this Foodnetwork ep, but I did just see this recipe now as I was looking for something else. With all the tainted pet products scares recently, this sounded like a nifty idea - PLUS, it would make a nice holiday present! (Ok, ok, the image is a bit cheesy, but still... )

]

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._35366,00.html

I might try them without the carob at some point. Thanks for the recipe, MB!