SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-08-2006, 19:16   #1
Titurel
Brick Eater

Philadelphia Class lll

The Philadelphia PD will not sign paperwork for full-auto weapons. I realize that this problem can be avoided by forming a corporation that will own the weapon. Is the situation the same with suppressors? I'd like to get one, but I'm not sure how much red tape is involved for Philadelphia residents. Thanks
Titurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:14   #2
PennGlock

I really cant imagine those ignorant bastards signing on for your suppressor. Corporation or Trust is probably your only option in Phila. An extra benefit of going these routes is that the total time to process your application will be up to 3 months faster.
Old 04-10-2006, 16:19   #3
trakker45

Your best option is to form a PA LLC (limited liability company) because there are no yearly registration fees. I am an attorney and have formed four LLCs for guys in your situation. Yes, you need a signature for suppressors and machine guns. If you want, I can do the paperwork for you for a fee. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
trakker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 21:26   #4
DeadMansLife

Quote:
Originally posted by trakker45
Your best option is to form a PA LLC (limited liability company) because there are no yearly registration fees. I am an attorney and have formed four LLCs for guys in your situation. Yes, you need a signature for suppressors and machine guns. If you want, I can do the paperwork for you for a fee. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
Other than the paperwork, what is involved with forming an LLC?

Is there any other advantage to having an LLC other than Class III such as tax benifets, ownership of cars, property and such?
DeadMansLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:55   #5
trakker45

It's just paperwork and a one-time filing fee of $125. And a short wait until the state tells you that the LLC has been registered.

The primary advantage to an LLC is limited liability (such as with a corporation) but you are not taxed as heavily as corporations. You report income for the LLC on your personal income tax return, schedule C.

So, for example, let's say you decide to start a business. You form an LLC for the business, and as a result, you are not personally liable for the business's debts (inventory, judgments obtained by creditors, etc.). Your creditors can only collect against the businesses assets, not your personal assets.

But when tax time rolls around, you report the LLC's income on your schedule C rather than filing a corporate tax return.

LLCs were created to avoid the double-taxation that corporations are subjected to under the tax code. It it the smartest way to go if you are forming a new business in PA (and want to register the business in PA).

You can own anything through an LLC, but I would not form one just to say I had one. If I owned rental property, then yes, I would probably form one to cover my ass if a tenant sued me.

Last edited by trakker45; 04-12-2006 at 07:58..
Old 04-12-2006, 19:31   #6
DeadMansLife

I should have asked my question a bit differently.

Is there any advantage in running a family household as an LLC?

Let's say I have a sizeable investment in my childs future. I want to protect it from a law suit due to an accident(car crashes happen). Can I run my household as an LLC and keep my assets protected from a whip-lash hustler?

Last edited by DeadMansLife; 04-13-2006 at 16:13..
Old 04-20-2006, 07:17   #7
trakker45

Quote:
Originally posted by DeadMansLife
I should have asked my question a bit differently.

Is there any advantage in running a family household as an LLC?

Let's say I have a sizeable investment in my childs future. I want to protect it from a law suit due to an accident(car crashes happen). Can I run my household as an LLC and keep my assets protected from a whip-lash hustler?
In this situation, I think the easiest thing to do would be to purchase a one million or two million dollar umbrella policy to supplement your car and homeowners insurance. My insurance agent quoted me $156 per year for a one million dollar umbrella policy. Trying to run your household as an LLC would be a pain in the butt, if you ask me. The umbrella policy simplies everything and would provide the added security you seek in the event that someone obtains a large judgment against you, such as in an auto accident, and your car insurance is inadequate to cover it. Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2006, 16:06   #8
DeadMansLife

Thanks trakker45. I never gave a thought to insurance and $156 a year is a cheap investment considering what could be lost.
Old 04-23-2006, 23:19   #9
ZephyrNewYork
Like my shadow?

Send a message via ICQ to ZephyrNewYork Send a message via AIM to ZephyrNewYork Send a message via Yahoo to ZephyrNewYork
resident of one state, LLC formed in another

Quote:
If you live in a non-Class III friendly state (state Z), but you form a LLC in a Class III friendly state (state X), is your LLC eligible to purchase Class III firearms in State X as long as you comply with the laws by storing/keeping them in State X and do not take them into State Z?

Frank
Old 04-24-2006, 07:40   #10
trakker45

Re: resident of one state, LLC formed in another

Quote:
Originally posted by ZephyrNewYork
If you live in a non-Class III friendly state (state Z), but you form a LLC in a Class III friendly state (state X), is your LLC eligible to purchase Class III firearms in State X as long as you comply with the laws by storing/keeping them in State X and do not take them into State Z?

Frank
The short answer is no. The LLC must be registered in a state where you reside or own a residence. But if you owned a summer home in state X, you could form an LLC in that state and store the weapons there while you are living in state Z.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:51   #11
ZephyrNewYork
Like my shadow?

Send a message via ICQ to ZephyrNewYork Send a message via AIM to ZephyrNewYork Send a message via Yahoo to ZephyrNewYork
Thanks

Frank
Old 05-05-2006, 10:57   #12
danp

Re: Philadelphia Class lll

Quote:
Originally posted by Titurel
The Philadelphia PD will not sign paperwork for full-auto weapons. I realize that this problem can be avoided by forming a corporation that will own the weapon. Is the situation the same with suppressors? I'd like to get one, but I'm not sure how much red tape is involved for Philadelphia residents. Thanks
A corporation would work the same for a suppressor as anything else. I am also in Philadelphia and created an LLC so I could buy my M16, I plan on buying a gem-tech trinity next.

Shoot me an email dpehrson [at] pafoa.org or find me on http://www.pafoa.org/forum/ if you have any other questions or want more info on incorporating.
Old 05-05-2006, 13:38   #13
trakker45

Dan,

The Trinity is a bit outdated. If you are looking for a modular suppressor that could be used on your M-16 (in 9mm configuration) and a pistol, I would suggest the Trident9 by SWR. I bought one and am currently waiting for my form four to clear. It's a GREAT pistol suppressor (works like a charm on my Glock 17), and it supposedely is even better on a subgun. I plan on using it on my uzi smg soon. If you are ever in Pittsburgh, drop me a line and I will let you check it and my other suppressors out.

Be warned: suppressors are an addition. I have four and a fifth on the way (four 9mm cans and a Gemtech Outback).
Old 05-05-2006, 13:43   #14
danp

Quote:
Dan,

The Trinity is a bit outdated. If you are looking for a modular suppressor that could be used on your M-16 (in 9mm configuration) and a pistol, I would suggest the Trident9 by SWR. I bought one and am currently waiting for my form four to clear. It's a GREAT pistol suppressor (works like a charm on my Glock 17), and it supposedely is even better on a subgun. I plan on using it on my uzi smg soon. If you are ever in Pittsburgh, drop me a line and I will let you check it and my other suppressors out.

Be warned: suppressors are an addition. I have four and a fifth on the way (four 9mm cans and a Gemtech Outback).
Glad I posted here, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I want to attach it to an Oly Arms 9mm upper and a Glock 19, and I want it to support sporadic full-auto fire (Burst, maybe a mag dump every once in a while) I'll look into SWR before I make any decisions.

I wish I was closer to Pitt because I've actually never heard a suppressor and I'd love to take you up on that offer.
Old 05-05-2006, 13:56   #15
trakker45

The Trinity is only rated for "intermittent" full-auto fire and has all aluminum baffles. Not good for mag dumps.

The Trident is billed as a true subgun suppressor that can also be used on a pistol. It has a stainless steel blast baffle (the first baffle) and has more internal volume than the Trinity in order to withstand sustained full-auto fire. It's a little more expensive and heavier than the Trinity, but it is also more advanced technology.

It's too bad you are so far away. I know you would get a kick out of mine. They are so damn cool, and it is so nice not having to use hearing protection at an outdoor range when no one else is around.
Old 05-05-2006, 18:31   #16
ZephyrNewYork
Like my shadow?

Silencer Tests

I learned most of what I know about suppressors at this site.

http://silencertests.com

There's a forum too. Join and come on in! Tell them I sent you

Frank
Old 05-05-2006, 18:33   #17
ZephyrNewYork
Like my shadow?

Re: Re: Philadelphia Class lll

Quote:
Originally posted by danp
A corporation would work the same for a suppressor as anything else. I am also in Philadelphia and created an LLC so I could buy my M16, I plan on buying a gem-tech trinity next.

Shoot me an email dpehrson [at] pafoa.org or find me on http://www.pafoa.org/forum/ if you have any other questions or want more info on incorporating.

Thanks to everyone for replying. I already formed my LLC in Nevada early this year though. All I have to do now is change my residency.

Frank
Old 09-12-2006, 11:31   #18
cgk

Quote:
Your best option is to form a PA LLC (limited liability company) because there are no yearly registration fees.
Limited liability companies (LLCs) in PA are subject to annual franchise tax--$380/year minimum. [SEE CORRECTION BELOW] You can see the fee schedule HERE. I considered a trust (living trust, I suppose), but I think I'll actually form a PA limited partnership. With myself as a general partner and a family member as a limited partner. All I should have to pay is the $125 to file the Certificate of Limited Partnership with the PA Department of State, and no annual fees. The state even provides a form of Certificate of Limited Partnership you can fill out on line and then print. Look HERE.

Last edited by cgk; 09-12-2006 at 14:16..
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 13:36   #19
trakker45

Quote:
Originally posted by cgk
Limited liability companies (LLCs) in PA are subject to annual franchise tax--$380/year minimum. You can see the fee schedule HERE. I considered a trust (living trust, I suppose), but I think I'll actually form a PA limited partnership. With myself as a general partner and a family member as a limited partner. All I should have to pay is the $125 to file the Certificate of Limited Partnership with the PA Department of State, and no annual fees. The state even provides a form of Certificate of Limited Partnership you can fill out on line and then print. Look HERE.
You are incorrect, sir. The website is misleading. Call the corporations bureau and ask them about the franchise tax, like I did.
Old 09-12-2006, 14:15   #20
cgk

For all practical purposes, trakker45 is correct--no franchise fee on a PA LLC.

Here's the detail. The PA Corporation Bureau web site is misleading. The $380/year minimum fee it notes is only for a professional LLC and would not apply to a LLC formed to hold title to assets, such as a suppressor. The franchise tax does, however, apply to such a PA LLC, although it is being phased out through 2010. For any PA LLC that conducts modest business, however, it's not a factor. The annual tax is currently at a rate of 4.89 mil and it applies to the sum of (a) five year average net book income divided by .095 and (b) 75% of net worth less $125,000. So, in short, no annual cost for the use of a PA LLC such as the one we are discussing.

Thanks, trakker45!
Old 09-12-2006, 18:55   #21
trakker45

No problem. Thanks for explaining that- I didn't have time to do it while I was at work.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:57   #22
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

A very interesting read. Thank you, all!
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 13:48   #23
cgk

Looking a bit deeper into this, now that 2006 is over, and it appears that the franchise tax is applicable to foreign (non-PA) entities. For PA LLCs look to the capital stock tax. The information in this thread on tax rates is good, but you still must file form RCT-101 and the supporting materials until the LLC has no assets whatsoever. The RCT-101 will have a lot of zeroes in it, but you have to file, even though no tax should ever be due.
Old 02-12-2007, 17:05   #24
Dogmeat00
Crazy Baby!

is it possible to form a PA LLC for only the initial fees, no annual fees or taxes, providing you do nothing with it except hold titles to Class 3 and suppressors and such? Are such companies subject to the $200 tax stamp? Background checks? if you only bought assets with the company, never making a dollar, couldn't you write the losses off on your personal income tax and reduce your personal taxes?
Dogmeat00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:18   #25
hile

Send a message via AIM to hile
Quote:
Originally posted by Dogmeat00
is it possible to form a PA LLC for only the initial fees, no annual fees or taxes, providing you do nothing with it except hold titles to Class 3 and suppressors and such? Are such companies subject to the $200 tax stamp? Background checks? if you only bought assets with the company, never making a dollar, couldn't you write the losses off on your personal income tax and reduce your personal taxes?
Interesting idea if it would work. Would the money you fork out for the MGs be considered "losses"?
hile is offline   Reply With Quote