Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:53   #1
EH3

Maxwell AFB???

So I just got my Field Training Assignment for Maxwell AFB (AFROTC). I'm scheduled to leave May 31. So anyone been to Maxwell in the summer, what kind of temps can I expect? Any advice for acclimating to the heat/environment? I'm assuming it will be pretty humid and warm. Any other tips you have would be appreciated.

Thanks
EH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 19:58   #2
habu3

Maxwell in the summer

It has been a long time since I was stationed in Montgomery, AL. I was assigned at Gunter Annex which is across town from Maxwell. Summertime can be very warm, upper 90s, with very high humidity. Again in the upper 90s. There tends to be a lot of thunder storms during the summer there and they can be very impressive. If you get any free time, DO NOT be tempted to swim in the river. Lots of gators. A friend tried it a couple of times until he realized the floating logs weren't logs.

I know a lot of people down there that tend to limit their outside activities during the summer. As long as you drink lots of water you should be okay. And I do mean a lot. You should get safety briefings about those kind of things when you arrive there. If you have a tendency to burn in the sun use a lot of sunblock. Use a lot even if you don't burn easily. You do not want to spend time recovering from sun burns.

Most of all, enjoy the time you have there. Within the limits of your schedule anyway! If you play and have the chance, there are several very good golf courses in Montgomery including the 2 that are on Maxwell. There is also the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail which includes some really great courses. One of them is in Prattville which is about 10 miles north of Maxwell.

Drink lots of water.
habu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 21:01   #3
EH3

Thanks for the advice habu.

Sunscreen is mandatory to bring. I know there will be constant safety briefings on hydration.

I live in Southern Indiana in the Ohio River valley, where it can get fairly humid, so I'm gonna try and spend as much time outside doing physical activity to help get used to it.

I know we won't be given any free time, but just in case I'll watch out for the gators
Old 04-28-2006, 13:48   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

If you don't have a Camelbak, buy one. Preferably a MULE or something that size (I own both a Mule, bought, and a HAWG, issued). You can easily go through one Camelbak-full (3 liters) a day. You should be to stay properly hydrated.

Just remember, you're AFROTC. To the AF, you ain't &(!@!!. Mouth shut, eyes open, do what they tell you. I was once Army ROTC going for a commission. Now I'm an A1C in USAFE after giving up a $60,000/yr job working for an NBC affiliate.

Remember not all airmen are high-school age morons who only want to chase girls and get drunk.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 14:03   #5
EH3

Unfortunately Camelbacks aren't authorized, since your flight wouldn't be standardized. Just the old canteen and web belt.

Two of my instructors were both prior enlisted, so I have had the opportunity to have at least been taught some insight into the enlisted side of things.
Old 05-21-2006, 20:36   #6
Glock13

Hey EH3,

I just got back from Maxwell AFB three days ago.....I got my commission on Thursday!! The weather was not that bad for Alabama. That being said, it supposed to get really warm this week. It is also very dry...so bring lotion. Let me know if you have any other questions about the base or anything.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:18   #7
AFCRNA

Yes, prepare for the hot weather. I was at maxwell twice. If you are from the area, the heat won't bother you as bad. I drank about 1-2 gallons of fluids a day to stay hydrated.
Old 06-26-2006, 15:00   #8
AF13

Send a message via AIM to AF13
Shame I couldn't have seen this post earlier. I went to FT last summer at Maxwell. Hot and sticky...yet not as humid as NC. What state are you from? Det?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:17   #9
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

When I left tech school, Camelbaks were authorized, if not yet issued (coming soon).

Now i'm active duty, they're issued.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:35   #10
EH3

Quote:
Originally posted by AFCRNA
Yes, prepare for the hot weather. I was at maxwell twice. If you are from the area, the heat won't bother you as bad. I drank about 1-2 gallons of fluids a day to stay hydrated.
Det 670 Oklahoma State. I just got back. It was hot, but not too bad, I survived. We only have a handful of black flag days. I'm from Southern Indiana/Ohio River Valley so I'm used to the humidity, but we had some guys in our flight from the North, and they had a hard time. Thanks for all the input guys.